Author Topic: disappointment  (Read 5675 times)

Offline prydwen

disappointment
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »
just for those who are thinking of buuying a rohrbaugh 9mm..
I'd suggest you get a seecamp or something else...my experience with the 9mm rhorbaugh was a disappointment...
is very jam prone, high maintenance, difficult to clean and work with, magazines jam in it hopelessly when it fails to fee d a round (which  is often)..this is not in my experience with it a pistol to be relied upon, but something unusual to stick in the vault and play with now and then maybe.  The 380 may work better and make more sense for this design, but the 9mm
I could not recommend.  The factory was nice enough to take mine back for additional work, but by then I had decided I was better served to get something else and just sold it when it came home to a fellow I hope does not plan on using it
for his defense. Just a note of caution here about a bad experience with my own new rohrbaugh which is now someone
elses used rohrbaugh!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: disappointment
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
Sorry you had some problems. However, it is not the usual fare. The Rohrbaugh R9s is good and sound designed 9mm pocket pistol. I hope if a Seecamp is in your future it works well. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »
prydwen,

I saw in the classifieds where your gun had only about 21 rounds through it.  All I can say is that you did not even make an attempt to make the R9 work for you.  The R9 is like a race horse, not a plow horse.  I know for the money that many think they should work for everyone right out of the box.  I hope you will be happy with a Seecamp.  The downside is that you can't get one in 9mm.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:46:07 AM »
I can't help but notice that this gratuitous bit of advice has apparently been volunteered after the pistol was sold to a new buyer. As Mike has observed, the listing in the classified section of this forum stated that the pistol had only 21 rounds fired through it. The only caveat offered was that it "had a trip back to rohrbaugh [sic] to improve feeding." It was also noted in a follow-up post that the pistol was listed on Gunbroker.com.  

As of this morning, Gunbroker lists only 16 closed auctions for R9 pistols, all of which had excellent reviews.  

By my count, this raises the number of such posts to 3 or 4 -- with the number of R9s produced now approaching the 3,000 mark.  Meanwhile, here in East Tennessee, No. 132 (which is in my pocket now) remains flawless after 3 years and 4 months of service with only the recommended maintenance and a varied diet of Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, and Winchester "White Box" ammunition.

My advice to anyone contemplating the purshase of a Rohrbaugh R9 would be that you will find no smaller, lighter, more concealable, or higher quality full-power 9mm semi-automatic pistol anywhere on the market.

I been known for taking chances with my own life and safety, but I would never take a chance with the life or safety of the beautiful and brilliant woman to whom it is my great good fortune now to be married. I carry my R9 more for her protection than for my own, and I trust it completely and without reservation.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:23:27 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kwesi

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
Richard,

Please check your messages.

Michael

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
prydwen,

Sorry the pup did not work out for you..
Or more likely YOU did not give the pup a chance-21 rounds??

Sounds like sour grapes to me.. :(

I have 3 Seecamps,so I know how they run also!! ;)

This post is just my 2 cents..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline ryone

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:02:47 PM »
First time out with new (built in Sept 2007) R9s. Just put about 50 rounds mixed between inexpensive practice (Wilson?) 115 G with some Federal Hydrashock 147's thrown in and a few 115G Silvertips. Maybe half dozen FTF's with the practice stuff which when reloaded fired the second time. Had a few strange occurances with the magazine slipping out during firing??? Maybe it was me and I didn't latch it properly or my grip compromised its ability to hold. Anybody else have this happen? Recoil wasn't nearly as bad as expected and much more acurate than I ever expected for a firearm this size. Also no FTF's.  One other final problem I had which ended the session was a jamed, unfired round (the practice stuff-might be the problem?) that was logged to the point where I could only rack the slide back about 1/4 inch. Had to work it loose using a pick up through the magazine access. The jam left a noticable crease in the brass casing of the round. Now racking the slide seems to produce a slight 'hitch' every once and awhile...might just be me being paranoid.  Again, has anybody else had a jam like this happen? While I'm use to and depend on all my defensive weapons working flawlessly right out of the box like my Seacamp 32 did - this is the first one that hasn't, but that won't deter me. 50 rounds just doesn't seem like enough of a fair test for what appears to be a very well made gun, albeit at a very full price. I'll let you know how the next 50 or so rounds go using nothing but quality ammo before I decide if I need to call Rohrbaugh to have it worked on. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:29:35 PM »
Still can't wait to get my R9. It arrives in 2 weeks or so.

Set-it-and-forget-it? I'd carry a brick. I'd bet better than 90% of all gunfights (where the attackee is a law-abiding civilian) stop before they start - the moment they draw down, especially if they beat the attacker to the punch. The remaining percentage would far more likely be won by lots of practice at the range (or in my case, behind the barn). and IMHO NO One shold carry unless they're willing and able to invest time money and effort in this. The risk of collateral injury or death alone drives this point home, no matter how reliable the gun.
The writer makes a point that he won't carry a gun that is twitchy. There are hundreds of posts in here relating to the R9's potential for tempermental behavior until 200 rds or so have gone thru. This stands to reason. Racehorse, not old  Buick.... I wont carry mine until I've put that many rounds in paper for a number of trips behind the barn -  and I've got a good-sized bucket of brass to recycle, just for safetly's sake alone. ...My 2 cents worth, no offense intended.

DANG! my soapbox just crumpled under my weight!

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
ryone, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your R-9.  Winchester white box is what I use for practice and have never had a hic-cup of any kind.  Good Ammo seems to make a difference.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 06:33:20 PM »
Just went out behind the barn to spank the NightPup... Man, it shoots like a dream! Put an entire cnote box of WWB thru it an hour ago, firing as fast as I could fill the 2 clips and hang more paper towels up to shoot at. Found I was all over the place with the first two clips at 10 yds, sometimes on the paper and sometimes just off. Switched to (much-easier to hit) Bounty Paper towels  - and started slowing down on my trigger pull to a even slow squeeze  -  my groups tightened up immediately, some of them 2-3 inches, and this mostly because I was aiming a bit away from my last round to make a new hole I could see. No ftfs, no coughs, no wheezes, just good clean discharges every time and almost every slug going exactly where I wanted them to - barely an inch away from the bare spot on the paper I was aiming for. Next time I'll make up some better targets out of pie plates (sorry Bounty -  no more free advertising) and improve the backstop. I also need to hang up a tarp to catch the brass. Seems a waste to leave it out in the field.
NO marks on the wear points yet except for some pencil-mark swipes of brass on the slide at the edge of the ejector port, presumably from the base of the casing as it leaps out of the gun. No hand wear, powder burns, backfires, bullet holes or carpal tunnel symptoms, so I'm calling this Pup by name from now on. What a sweet little rocket launcher!

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »
Sounds like a good night out! Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
* * * NO marks on the wear points yet except for some pencil-mark swipes of brass on the slide at the edge of the ejector port, presumably from the base of the casing as it leaps out of the gun. No hand wear, powder burns, backfires, bullet holes or carpal tunnel symptoms, so I'm calling this Pup by name from now on. What a sweet little rocket launcher!

Shakermountain:

Great report! Your little rocket launcher appears to be performing like my own, which I also call by name.  

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"