Author Topic: Third Trip, First Hiccup  (Read 17547 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Third Trip, First Hiccup
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »
Held of on call to Maria.  Checked back on the FTF ammo which was NOT Spear, but Remington FMJ.  Thoroughly cleaned pup again, used lubricating oil that comes with Ed Brown .45.  Recoil spring had about 85 rounds through it.  Invested $$$ in Winchester silvertip 115, Gold dot 124 GDHP, Federal Hydrashock JHP 124 and some leftover Hornady Critical Defense 115 FTX.

No light strikes, no primer failures, one failure to eject with the Winchester (jammed against the breech above the next round set to feed....I don't think I limp wristed it).  Just finished cleaning it again...it's now rehabilitated and being carried again!  ;D
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
Excellent, br9.  You have done well.  Was sorry to hear about the Winchester, though.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
I am glad all is well with th R9 now.

I have always used Speer 115GR GD without any trouble.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »
Forgot, also to mention that the Speer is now my carry ammo.  I'm a happy guy...thought I'd have to invest in a Solo, but already carry a Kimber Ultra CDP .45 when weather/dress permit and cherish the small size/weight of the R9.  Thanks for the help to all.  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
115 GR makes no sense to me. It is too small a mass to effectively stop a bad guy, which is the primary purpose of a deep concealment pocket gun. Give me 147 GR. if I must carry a 9MM.

Many of us share the love for the .45ACP and await the R45. However, when you have a standard bullet of 230 grains to play with, I can see a lighter bullet; not so with the 9MM.

I have never experienced a FTF with 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok or Remington Golden Sabre in my Robar R9.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »
115 GR makes no sense to me. It is too small a mass to effectively stop a bad guy, which is the primary purpose of a deep concealment pocket gun. Give me 147 GR. if I must carry a 9MM.

Many of us share the love for the .45ACP and await the R45. However, when you have a standard bullet of 230 grains to play with, I can see a lighter bullet; not so with the 9MM.

I have never experienced a FTF with 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok or Remington Golden Sabre in my Robar R9.

I like the way you think!  :D

I have to agree on all points.

However, I think a lot of us are guilty of trying to save a few bucks on "just practice ammo" and grab the cheap 115 gr stuff.  
 As we all know 115 gr happens to be the "gold standard' for 9mm- nato.  And one would think a semi-hand built $1000 pistol should run the stuff.  But then again, think of it as "custom".

I guess I am fortunate that one of mine will eat the stuff up.  I haven't tried the other one yet.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »
I do like a big hunk of metal going out the barrel, for sure; however, with the R9, just settled on the 115 gr. without a glitch.  

Now other calibers; usually, as big as they come!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »
Sooner or later, some company will come out with a 900 grainer and call it the KJ Special!   ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
There's probably got to be a limit somewhere!    ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
Not with you, I'm afraid.  ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
I can see it now -

UTube -  KJ- " Hold my beer and watch this...."   ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
Not with you, I'm afraid.  ;D

I was afraid of that too!    ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:35 AM »
I can see it now -

UTube -  KJ- " Hold my beer and watch this...."   ;D

I'm going to stop at 700 gr.    ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

I'm going to stop at 700 gr.    ;D

Yeah, Yeah, yeah

Sounds like the words of an addict to me.

"I can stop if I want too"   ;D

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »
I might just be lucky but my R9 is flawless through 240 rounds of 115gr, 124, gr and 147gr ammo of quality from "junk" to top of the line.

Although the 115gr has less felt recoil in the R9, I prefer the 124gr and heavier bullets for carry, due to better penetration with heavier weights.

I don't normally expect instant perfection from firearms that push the size envelope.  My PM9 required a few rounds of break-in before it stopped having intermittent failures.  Ruger LCP was the same.  PM45, P9 Covert and P3AT all worked perfectly out of the box but I still "broke them in" before I carried them.

What strikes me about the R9 is that the tolerances are tight.  That means that, in all likelyhood, some guns will be on the slightly "too tight" side.
I have a routine for a marginally over-tight pistol which is so simple it sounds stupid,  but it really does work well.

First I'll clear the firearm, then field strip and wipe off excess oil or grease.  I don't use a solvent, just wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth, until the firearm is mostly dry.  While I'm in there I inspect it for wear or drag mark.  Even new pistols usually have a few rubs on the finish internally from racking or test firing.  Note where these are and their general shape and size.  Slide rails are a primary concern, but the top of the slide and sometimes the bottom of the dust cover are also potential drag areas.  Look it over carefully.

Then reassemble and rack the slide a good 50-100 times.  If the manufacturer says dry-fire is ok, then, after checking that it is unloaded,  feel free to do so, again 50-100 times.
If the pistol still feels like it is dragging, rack the slide another 50-100 times.

Then field strip and note the marks, are they larger or deeper  into the finish?  Good, you've worn it in a bit.  I've used mild abrasives to help wear in tight pistols, but do so with caution and if in doubt, talk to a gunsmith.  Don't ruin a new firearm if you are unsure.  It's always safe to just keep racking the slide a few more 100 times to help if polishing compound sounds frightening.

Now strip it again, clean it very thoroughly to remove any metal particles and lube per manufacturers spec's.  Try to avoid greases or graphites in very tight pistols.  Instead use a light gun oil and use it sparingly.  Too much oil can create drag in tight areas.  Try sticking two glass plates together with oil in between and see what I mean.  It tight areas, less is more.  Lightly oil then wipe off any excess.  Now go shoot it.  It's a far less frustrating and less expensive way to start the break in, and I've found it eliminates a good part of the problems with tightly made and heavily sprung small firearms.

At worst, it can't hurt and it's free to try.  You might be pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:06:41 AM by Relic »
Land of the free, because of the brave.