Author Topic: unloading the magazine?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline howards

unloading the magazine?
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
i have read different opinions regarding unloading a full magazine every month and using a different magazine to let the magazine spring "rest".  do i need to do this for the r9? thanks.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: unloading the magazine?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »
i have read different opinions regarding unloading a full magazine every month and using a different magazine to let the magazine spring "rest".  do i need to do this for the r9? thanks.

howards.  Just my opinion, however, no.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Howard:

Thirty days on and thirty days off used to be a mantra espoused by one of my old division armorers for magazine rotation. Spring technology has progressed light years since then. I now rotate my carry magazines twice a year when I change my clocks -- which happens to be tonight, by the way . . . also time to change batteries in smoke alarms, laser sights, and weapon-mounted tac lights.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
Howard:

Thirty days on and thirty days off used to be a mantra espoused by one of my old division armorers for magazine rotation. Spring technology has progressed light years since then. I now rotate my carry magazines twice a year when I change my clocks -- which happens to be tonight, by the way . . . also time to change batteries in smoke alarms, laser sights, and weapon-mounted tac lights.

Wow more thing to do when I get back. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Howard:

Wow more things to look forward to doing when I get back. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
It's odds on that John is sitting at some sidewalk cafe in Rome drinking Chianti and struggling with a slow Wi-Fi Internet connection.  ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
He's definitely having a hard time, looks like.    ;)  I feel for you, John; have that problem in Ga. sometimes, as I use our Wi-Fi there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:58:23 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
It's my understanding that compression cycles (loading and unloading) are what fatigue a spring, not constant pressure.

I leave 'em loaded.

Offline Moonshine

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
+1 on what Douglas said.  If you have concerns you can download by 10% of rated capacity.  Not a big deal in a 30 round mag, but in a 6 rounder, not for me.  Or you can just replace mag springs every couple of years.  Usually under $10 for a 3 pack from Wolff.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell