Author Topic: RECLUSE Prototype!  (Read 19127 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: RECLUSE Prototype!
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
I didn't have any problems in several weeks (or months?) of carry either.  I would likely still be using my Recluse if I still had the gun it was fit for!   ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
I have mine for sale because I'm just a traditional holster guy. Old habits die hard I guess.

John

I've been looking at these holsters and have decided on the same; just like the look and feel of the regular holster; not that anything is wrong with the Recluse, at all.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »
I have mine for sale because I'm just a traditional holster guy. Old habits die hard I guess.

John
   John, I think you want to sell it just because you like to sell! ;D ;D            Gene
birdman

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
Well, after my above post, one of our FINE forum members sent me his Recluse holster for me to try out a few days to see what I thought (Thanks Gene!).  I used it for 2 days and it does work.  It kept the gun in the right position and ready for deployment which is very fast from this design.  It does print more in my pocket than my regular holsters but it does not print gun.  It prints big oval thingy.  ;)  If the rubbery insert that surrounds the trigger keeps its "firmness" over time I think it is a safe way to carry.  I still think that a fully enclosed trigger is a safer design like on most leather pocket holsters.  I may just be old fashioned in that respect but thats the way I feel.  As I posted before I'd held one in my hand it is a new, out of the box different design and now that I have used one for a few days I'm going to go back to my old n trusty pocket holster.
   Corey, did it seem the holster was too narrow?    Gene
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:51:27 AM by birdman »
birdman

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
No, if anything it wider than i'm used to.

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
I bought one, I'm currently undecided on it though.

On the one hand, I like the design.  It does seem to hold the pistol nicely, I never found it flopping about off the trigger block.  It is a bit thinner than a normal holster, which is nice given the R9 is borderline pocketable.  Accessing the pistol is fantastic, much nicer than a thumb push.  The extra width could allow you to carry with the mag extension.

The bad, I don't know that works well in jeans.  The print is odd, not a gun but also not a wallet.  Jeans really conform to whatever is in the pocket.  Also, the extra width past the mag base shoves the whole thing into that "... or are you happy to see me?" region.   ;)

I think it might work well in Dockers or something more loose fitting, something with pockets further toward the side.  Sadly, I am and always have been a jeans-type guy.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
No, if anything it wider than i'm used to.
  Corey I had a brain fart a couple posts back. I meant to ask did it seem WIDER than other holsters. The pants and shorts I normally wear, I can barely get the holster in the pocket. I like everything else about it really well. Thanks for answering what I didn't ask. ;D       Gene
birdman

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »
   John, I think you want to sell it just because you like to sell! ;D ;D            Gene

Gene,
  You may be right, but unfortunately I like to buy even more.
 ;D ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
Now that's my problem!  I buy and don't sell!    ;D  Well, usually!    ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:51:06 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
 Also, the extra width past the mag base shoves the whole thing into that "... or are you happy to see me?" region.   ;)

Just to let you know the reasoning behind the "extra" leather-

We experimented with different shapes & sizes, and found what always holds the weapon upright in the majority of pants we tried.  I have a one-off smaller-sized holster that hides better in some pants, but in others, tends to flop over on its side, so it shows more, and is difficult to withdraw.  Kinda nice to have a drawer full of different holsters to try! ;)

The other advantage of the current design is that it works equally well with the extended grip.

A customer with a Ruger LCP asked if he could trim the leather to fit closer to the bottom of the flat base plate.
Umm, yeah, it's your holster.
He did, and later told us he liked it better that way.  We're just glad he's happy.

We considered offering the "mini" as another option, but were a bit concerned that there would be too many cases of it not staying in the proper position.  Pretty much defeats the purpose if you have to straighten up your holster before withdrawing a defense weapon in a hurry.

All depends on the particular pants one wears.