Author Topic: Why are the R9's so finicky on feeding?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline gdavis2265

Why are the R9's so finicky on feeding?
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Guys,

Are they finicky on feeding because of:

1. Bullet length and steepness of feed ramp

2. Tightness of chamber tol

3. Overall tightness in slide tol.

I know I have read on this site about tightness in tolerances are used to keep it accurate and to keep lint out for pocket carry.

I for one would live with cleaning this weapon more frequently if it would help cycle more reliably (As well as cycling other brands of ammo not recommended). Also, I will use Glock as an example, they feed anything because the chamber tol. is VERY loose (so loose that reloads are not recommended) and slide to frame is also very loose, allowing it to feed almost anything.

Thoughts?

Glenn
Glenn

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Why are the R9's so finicky on feeding?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
I know a lot of folks like to use all kinds of ammo, recommended or not.  I just chose to use the Winchester Silvertips 115 gr. and it works like a charm.  

It's one of the recommended ammos and being I have a generous supply on hand, I just don't worry about the other brands.

That's not answering your questions, I know, but it does save much grief in using what's been proven.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
Slide to frame fit or tightness has little to do with feeding issues, feeding problems are usually one of or a combination of the mag, feedramp and chamber. If the slide fit is too tight it may not cycle correctly but if the bullet is lined up with the chamber it will still go in.
  A feed problem with the mag would be the follower not on the proper angel to position the bullet for loading into the chamber, or the spring is too strong or too weak.
 The feed ramp could be rough and need to be polished.
The chamber could be too tight, or have a burr.
  I polish the feedramp and chamber on all of my autos. My pup has fired and cycled every type and brand of ammo I have tried and that is seven or eight different  ones.

John

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »
Thanks guys,

I'm not talking about a specific owners pistol, I'm talking in generalities. I'm just curious on how this pistol could be made more reliable to feed a more broader spectrum of ammo.

I'm aware the standard answer is "I just use what works and nothing else"

I think it's the engineer in me, but just wondering if the tolerances could be "loosened" up a bit. I'm sure the Rohrbaugh brothers have dealt with this primary issue and have come to the compromise we have today.

I can guarantee that if this little gem could be made to feed many types of ammo, they would sell many, many more.
Glenn

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »
I think a lot has to do with the 9mm in such a small frame.  Tremendous stress on all the parts.  Some R9's are more finiky than others.

Seecamp is the same way.  The .380 has only two recommeneded ammos and no ball ammo.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:21:05 AM »
As I stated I have yet to find something my pup won't chew up and spit out, I know there are some who have had issues with other than the recommended brands, and others who have not. The number of guns that won't shoot the off list brands may not be as many as those that will. Because there are probably a good number of members who have never tried anything but the prescribed ammo.
 Just my opinion, but I could be wrong ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
Yep!  John.  Don't want to have a failure.  Just me, though, and maybe a few others.   ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:06 AM »

There have been numerous problems not related to ammo that have been well documented on this forum. Fortunately, most problems have been addressed and there has been an evolution of improvements from the factory.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
kj, I don't think your alone in using just Silvertips, I believe there are a good number of people who only shoot the Silvertips or Gold Dots.
  I shoot what I have when practicing in my yard, and could care less if I have an issue, ( I view it as good practice in the event it happened when you had to rely on your carry gun) I have a snapcap that is bullet shaped that I will load into the mag just to practice clearing an FTF, but for carry ammo I only use what is tried and tested.
   This is not a case of right or wrong, just personal preference as to what you want to shoot in the R9.
   I understand the desire of those who shoot the pup frequently and don't want to or can't afford to spend what Silvertips cost for plinking, and face the problem of trying to replace them when there not always available.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »
John.  I agree with the personal preference and the case of no right or wrong.  I also understand others who want to shoot other brands.  

However, with the cost of the R9, I want to feed it the good stuff, the premium gas, so to speak.  Just my thoughts again, the R9 deserves the best, or at least the recommended.  

So, with the flawless function of the Silvertips, I like the satisfaction knowing, they're going to work.  

Now about that Seecamp .380.  If you don't open the box, (offer void, if box is opened)  I'll give you $860. for it and come get it!    ;D     ;D

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
Guys,

Are they finicky on feeding because of:

1. Bullet length and steepness of feed ramp

2. Tightness of chamber tol

3. Overall tightness in slide tol.

I know I have read on this site about tightness in tolerances are used to keep it accurate and to keep lint out for pocket carry.

I for one would live with cleaning this weapon more frequently if it would help cycle more reliably (As well as cycling other brands of ammo not recommended). Also, I will use Glock as an example, they feed anything because the chamber tol. is VERY loose (so loose that reloads are not recommended) and slide to frame is also very loose, allowing it to feed almost anything.

Thoughts?

Glenn
Sorry but I dont see your problem yet - mine only has about 75 rounds through her but that has been a mix of most everything non - plus P.And no failure to fire or feed and eject !.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »
kj,
  They well open the box at my FFL when they receive it to verify the serial number when they log it in.
  Thank You for the generous offer, I would only be taking a $25 loss on the shipping and $15 on the transfer fee, I will certainly keep it in mind.

John

John.  I agree with the personal preference and the case of no right or wrong.  I also understand others who want to shoot other brands.  

However, with the cost of the R9, I want to feed it the good stuff, the premium gas, so to speak.  Just my thoughts again, the R9 deserves the best, or at least the recommended.  

So, with the flawless function of the Silvertips, I like the satisfaction knowing, they're going to work.  

Now about that Seecamp .380.  If you don't open the box, (offer void, if box is opened)  I'll give you $860. for it and come get it!    ;D     ;D

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
John.  My FFL doesn't open the box.  If the box is sealed from Seecamp it should remain sealed until the buyer accepts it.  My .32 came from an FFL to my FFL in a sealed box.  I guess some FFL's are different, however.  

Just my thoughts, but I think you're going to like the .380 Seecamp.    :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:30:44 AM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
I guess they would wait to open the box until I got there, but usually they have done there log in and verification that the serial number on the box matches the guns number.
  I'm sure I will like the 380, but in the event I don't, I will let you know you before I list it in the Classified section.   :D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
You'll like it, no worry!  Good investment as well.    :)