Author Topic: To be updated: the R9 2000 round test thread  (Read 29358 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: To be updated: the R9 2000 round test thread
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
Interesting on the S&B. It is the ammo tested and recommended by CZ, they are BOTH made in the Czech Republic. HOWEVER S&B is VERY hot ammo even in the non +P.

S&B is made for the Czech military and was designed to also work well in their Sub Guns so it will be a 'bit' warm.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
S&B primers tend to be hard also, and I wouldn't consider that ammo to be fired or carried in the R9.

Offline Boatswainmate

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
A need to hear from others as to an opinion on how firing 147 gr. trough the R9. Been using Lawmsn 124, Federal and Eagle 115 and 124 gr however failure to extract, eject, stove pipe on occasion recently occurred after new Lawman 147 was first used. Problem with racking first and chambering a round too. For over a year no problem until 2 weeks ago. Possible remedy Inserted new Wolf guide rod spring to start. But question mag springs tension for next tryout. Federal 115 shot by gunsmith and no incidences in rapid fire feed. Racking also no problem for him that test fire? He suggested maybe I was limp wristed preventing feed via rapid fire. Never had a problem for a year racking or firing?? His test was conducted after a new guide rod spring was inserted and alternated between new mags and used mags with used and non used springs. This week I am trying my Lawman 124 gr versus 147 gr my thinking 147 gram too hot a load? Is this possible? Welcome and appreciated are thoughts and comments if problem still exists after new guide rod spring, used unused mags and lowered ammo from 147 grain to 124 or even 115. Thanks
I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.
"John Paul Jones"

Offline Boatswainmate

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Any comments on a changed out guide rod spring and number of coils and the cut end of a worn spring  versus the two new Wolf springs each side of the old worn spring. Very interested to learn why the worn spring end was cut. Less coils too? The worn one is an original first spring changed out after 300 rounds before jamming occurred. Welcome are comments.
I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.
"John Paul Jones"

Offline guncats

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
the old style recoil spring has cut end, the new style have flat-ends.

Lawman 147gr is a pretty stout load, I have never used it in the R9, but when shot in my SDP the recoil difference between 147gr and 124gr Lawman is quite a obvious. It is probably too hot for the R9, and compressed your recoil spring prematurely...

Maybe a fresh recoil spring will bring back the reliability?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »
Why mess with the 147 gr when it has been well documented over years on this forum that the 124 gr and the 115 gr are the ammo choices that function best in the R9?

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:43 PM »
Why mess with the 147 gr when it has been well documented over years on this forum that the 124 gr and the 115 gr are the ammo choices that function best in the R9?

115gr Winchester JHP. Others MAY work but I KNOW this is a reliable load.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
Early on Eric recommended 115 gr Winchester Silver Tips; then this forum evolved into Speer Gold Dot---115gr or 124 gr. Most recently in the past year or two some of us moved to the Federal HST 124 gr, which I prefer. The most important thing is to carry that which works in a flawless fashion.   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:26:26 PM by tracker »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
Early on Eric recommended 115 gr Winchester Silver Tips; then this forum evolved into Speer Gold Dot---115gr or 124 gr. Most recently in the past year or two some of us moved to the Federal HST 124 gr, which I prefer. The most important thing is to carry that which works in a flawless fashion.

I'll stick with Eric's recommendation. EVERY WEEK there isa 'NEW WONDER ONE STOP SHOT' anon coming out by EVERYONE.  Silvertips have been doing the job, and work flawlessly in all 6 of my 9R's, since the 1980's.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
I have found a good ammo search engine for Silvertips and all kinds of ammo.
www.gunbot.net
They pretty much search the web with a lot of different filters that can narrow the search and the price.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
I have found a good ammo search engine for Silvertips and all kinds of ammo.
www.gunbot.net
They pretty much search the web with a lot of different filters that can narrow the search and the price.

Good find, did not know about that one. 

Thanks,

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Excellent!  New to me as well.  Thanks.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »
Federal has a new HST 9mm available: it is the 150 gr micro for short barreled semi-autos. I think that I will try it in my Glock 43 and Shield but not the R9.
http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-150-grain-hst-jhp-federal-premium-20-rounds#geltest

Offline guncats

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
Hello everyone. . . . . I'm back from my little "Vacation" on my ole' BMW Scooter.

So, I see we have mention of the magazine springs for our R9 Series Pistols. Well, here is how things went at our shop:

Initially, the mag springs were ten coil jobs. They would begin to give us weak pressure against the rounds in the magazine within a relatively short time, depending on use. Karl went to a 13 coil spring and, while that worked, I felt it was too difficult to load the magazine and I also felt it was not necessary for it to be that stiff. I experimented by cutting one coil off of the 13 coil magazine spring and did a test fire of around 500 or so rounds, all of which were trouble free. I felt confident with this spring at 12 coils and it had the added benefit of being a little bit easier to load the ammunition into the magazine. As a number of you have correctly suggested, a weak mag spring will cause different malfunctions in a semi-automatic pistol. I feel if you are having any troubles with "stove-piping" and such, remove the base plate on your mag and count how many coils you have. If it's a 10 coil spring, then you have the 1st. Gen. spring and you should update that to the 12 coil spring. If you have a 13 coil, you have a 2nd. Gen. spring. Those work well, but are tougher to load. If you have a 12 coil spring, you have the 3rd. Gen. spring, which was to become the "Standard Magazine Spring" for the R9 Pistol. We had the least amount of jamming issues using the 3rd. Gen. 12 coil spring!

Below are the R9 magazine springs from Left to Right: 

Gen. 1 ~ 10 coils

Gen. 2 ~ 13 coils

Gen. 3 ~ 12 coils

Thanks for the great info Eric.

Offline guncats

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
an update on the mag spring replacement (got some replacement springs from Eric...thanks you so much Eric!):

The springs  out of my older silver mags are the 10-coil version. When compared to a new/fresh 10-coil mag spring, the old springs are about 10mm shorter, so they did compress a little from use.

the hammer spring: the old one measures 42mm in length, new/fresh one is 44mm.