Author Topic: What would you do? Gun Broker Purchase Dilemma - RESOLVED  (Read 11175 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: What would you do? Gun Broker Purchase Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
My pistol smith has cautioned me to never buy a used gun. That is very good advice but increasingly more difficult with Rohrbaughs.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:09 PM »
To be honest it would be very hard to tell a well taken care of low round count used gun from a new one even in person and basically impossible online.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
IMO, they could all be considered used guns at this point unless proven otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:32:28 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
What about pursuing the fraud protection route with gunbroker IF your credit card dispute doesn't work out favorably? If you do look at this option it would only cover $400 of the purchase (Better than a sharp stick to the eye) and it needs to take place within 60 days of the purchase. I think Gun Broker may be more inclined to assist in pressuring the fraudulent seller if you were pushing this approach. They don't want to pay out $400. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/BuyerProtection.aspx

That being said, I have had excellent results using the dispute in the past on 2-3 occasions with visa or MC.

I have heard that when you inspect a gun at your FFL if it isn't what you expect you should refuse it. I understand that's too late to do now, but for the rest of us does anyone know if this is correct?

Best wishes Ryan. Please keep us apprised of how gun broker and this seller handle matters.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:31:19 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 07:11:50 AM »
Eric (or others),

If I disassemble the gun where would you see wear on a used gun that would not be there on a new gun? 

Thanks,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
    Good Morning everyone,

Ryan ~ To answer one of your previous questions about this particular firearm: 

After looking at the photos you have attached here, and also looking at the photographs the seller has listed on Gunbroker, I do in fact remember this R9 more as my memory kicks in. The more I think about the gun that had the damage on the nose, which I showed to Karl, this IS that gun. There was also damage to the slide like you see on the frame. Yes, I replaced the slide with the then updated slide with the dots in between the USA in "MADE IN U.S.A.". If you removed the slide, give a look to the rails and the barrel to slide lockup area. If new, but just test fired at the factory (3 - 6 rounds), you will see some "seating" of the parts and even some minor scuffing and removal of the black anodizing on the frame. Anything in excess from that, and the gun has had a few magazines worth of ammunition run through it. Judging from the magazine well, that R9 has had quite a few rounds through it to get that area that worn. But what do I know!? . . . . . (My poor attempt at levity - excuse this ole coot - lol).  Let's hope you can reason with the seller (read: Gun Store Owner) and get a full refund on this well used R9 and we can move on. Perhaps, just perhaps, the seller (the FFL store) was told it was NEW by the actual owner, who may have just given the store owner this gun to sell, told the gun store owner this "little story" of it being absolutely NEW and UNFIRED. As I mentioned, he denied that the damage was there on the nose when he sent it in to us, so his "tales" precede him. This statement comes, as you may say, from "A Reliable Source".

Regards,

Eric R.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:57:00 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:25 AM »
Eric, 

Thank you for the definitive info o guess that settles it. I will present this to the seller and keep your name out of thing. Thanks again for your help!

Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
Eric,

What is the significance of replacement slides made without the periods between USA?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 04:11:31 PM »
Hey Tracker,

Well. . . . . after mentioning that here with Ryan's "NEW" gun, I thought that question might be asked. I was going to start a separate thread on that and keep this thread for Ryan's issue with that seller. Let's do that now so this stays on topic and I'll answer that question shortly in a new thread to keep things clean and organized.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: What would you do? Gun Broker Purchase Dilemma - RESOLVED
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
I wanted to update the group that the seller and I have resolved this.

After sending additional photographs and videos the seller acknowledged that they must not have inspected the gun well enough when they took it in on trade and that they just took the sellers word that it was a NIB gun. I tend to believe his story as he was very apologetic after he saw the photos of the wear to the frame under the slide that prove that the gun was used. He offered a full refund or to just refund the delta in price between a shooter and a collectible. I decided to keep it as a shooter and will work on cleaning up the frame.

Thank you to everyone for your help and a big thanks to ECR for offering to speaking with the seller even though it ended up not being necessary.

Thanks Again,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
Excellent news Ryan. I hope the used gun price was low enough for the well used R9. Evidently it was as you were able to keep it!
If you have any photographs from the inside of that gun, you can pm those to me for assessment. Ah hm. . . . No charge, of course.  lol.   8)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
That is good news Ryan, I am glad he made it right with you.

I bought an Auto Mag one time that had really $hitty pictures, but was listed as MINT, LNIB.  I paid pretty much top dollar for it.

When it arrives, it is not used, it is used up!  I called him and told him I was sending it back as it was not as described.  He said I did not ask enough questions.  I said what was I supposed to ask:

"How mint is it?  How like new is it?

He would not take it back, but sent me $500 and said take it or leave it so I took it.

That is really the only on-line problem I have ever had.