Author Topic: Underwood ammo?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Underwood ammo?
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Has anyone tried the Underwood ammo in the R9 (Not the +P of course)?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Underwood ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
I have not tried the Underwood ammo in a R9.

I did buy some of the 380 loaded with the 65 grain Lehigh Extreme Defender in Std Pressure and +P.  I shot a box of each in my Kahr P380 with zero failures.  I would like to see some more gel tests of this ammo as it approaches 9mm terminal ballistics in the ones I have seen. Preliminary tests make it look like a real winner to me.

I also bought some of the Underwood 90 grain Lehigh Extreme Defender in the +P version.  I only bought the +P as I wanted to try it in my Solo which Kimber says do not shoot anything under 124 grains.  I again was 100% out of the Solo.  I would like to see some tests on this ammo before I would recommend it.  Above 380 the Lehigh bullets look to me like they might over penetrate and do not have an advantage over the Remington 124 gr GS Bonded +P that I carry.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
Thanks!  Anyone else?  I have used the standard pressure in a Seecamp .32 but many rounds required a second strike to fire. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Thanks!  Anyone else?  I have used the standard pressure in a Seecamp .32 but many rounds required a second strike to fire.

I am the one who recommended the UW Extreme Cavitators and I fired a box of each pressure in both a Milford and a Southwick 32 with no problems.

For the retarded blowback system that Seecamp uses to work, they use a non-standard chamber it looks like to me.  As a hand loader, I try my loads in the chamber of the gun I am going to fire them in and this does not seem to work with Seecamp.  Their chambers are tighter and rougher.

If the ammunition is on the large side of the tolerances or any over, they will not work in the Seecamp chamber.  The cartridge does not go completely into the chamber and the first hammer strike moves it in and the second detonates it.  The slide  on the Seecamps is so light that it does not have enough momentum to force the cartridge fully into battery.

There is always the possibility that the UW ammo was oversized also.

Seecamps have got to be the most finicky pistol about ammo that I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:49:25 AM by MRC »

Offline guncats

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »
the 90gr xtreme-defender 9mm projectile is a bit light, might not generate enough recoil energy to reliably cycle the R9's action. I have not tried any , thought. To me, 124gr Gold Dot seems capable enough and is a bit cheaper.

My very limited experience with underwood ammo, so far: I have some xtreme-defender underwood in 10mm, spec is 110gr @1700fps / 738 ft.LB so it is supposedly a pretty hot load, but the felt recoil in my G40 is very very manageable, about the same as my practice ammo (S&B 180gr FMJ, ~540 ft.LB); in comparison, the Sig v-crown 180gr JHP (spec is ~650ft.LB) is quite a bit more stout.
And the xtreme-defender 10mm underwood, shot from my G40, appeared to be VERY accurate, it grouped tighter than the Sig V-crown.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:57:28 PM by guncats »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
I tried the Extreme Cavitator in my R9 Covert and had issues with feeding....haven't tried it in my backup R9 yet.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
I have not tried any in my r9 and will probably stick with 124 hst. But I carry 90 grain defender in my 43 and extreme penetrator in my 19.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
Works great in my CZ's but don't think I would gamble with a R9.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one