Author Topic: Question about R9 recoil  (Read 5380 times)

Offline DPP

Question about R9 recoil
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
Hello,
I am new here and to the R9. I am considering to buy one and was curious how stout the recoil is to say to a small J frame, model 60 Smith and Wesson or small revolver shooting .357 magnums? Thanks,
Dustin

Offline tattoo

• Master
Re: Question about R9 recoil
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »
i have never shot either of the two guns you speak of...but i have owned the smith and wesson bodyguard 380 semiauto...and recoil of the r9 is less....it is a great little shooting gun that is well worth every penny.....SO HAPPY THAT I FINALLY BOUGHT ONE....NOW I AM LOOKING FOR NUMBER 2..... ;D

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
The recoil is snappy but quite tolerable for a self defense weapon that is "fired little and carried a lot."  The perceived recoil is less but different from the two revolvers you mention due to grip style and size.  The .375 in J frame I find uncomfortable and more punishing than the R9.  The .38 is as stout on the wrist and thumb web.  The R9, due to the small size that makes it the smallest quality 9mm made is more likely to bite the trigger finger (especially with weak or improper grip).  This would not be noticeable in a self defense situation but for practice if I plan to shoot more than a mag or two I wear a shooter's glove for comfort.  This weapon is all about a tiny powerful very short range pistol for use only in emergency.  That range for me is best at 3 to 7 yards though I would find it useful at 10 to 12 yards if necessary.  It is not a range gun and recoil is a less important attribute as long as close range follow-up shots are not impaired...they are not, at least for me.  Welcome to the forum!

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
I have a 642 that I would say is close to the same recoil but as backup9 stated the recoil is different than a j frame.

I have gone out and ran 100 rounds through my R9 (not recommended) when trying to work a problem out of it. It's tolerable.

If you are looking for the smallest 9mm auto made you are on the right path. If you are looking for a high quality pistol for defensive close range work that you can always figure out a way to have on your person you are on the right track. If you are looking for something with potential collectibility you are on the right track IMO. If you are content to carry it much and shoot it little you are on the right track.

Get outside of these parameters and you may be expecting more than the handsome little pocketable, 7 round peacemaker can deliver. 

I am still proving mine, but am experiencing great results after a warranty repair.

The recoil is a a handful, but very manageable in final; not a good chick gun for the average woman IMO.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
With the caveat that felt recoil is highly subjective, I find the recoil of the R9 to be less than the J-Frame S&W with .357 Mag. and about equal to the J-Frame with .38 Special. I can run 60+/- rounds through my R9 at a single range session before hand fatigue develops.  Of course, you should allow the pistol to cool down a bit between strings of fire. After all, the R9 is the smallest and lightest pistol ever developed for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. If you want to run hundreds of rounds down range in rapid order there are such pistols as full-sized 1911s, Sigs, and Glocks for that. They, of course, cannot be carried in your pocket.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:43:23 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »

I agree with all of the above comparisons. Additionally, it is less punishing than a LWS .380.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
It is always a trade off, small and light is going to have more recoil than something larger and heavier.

That said, the recoil from the R9 is not all that bad.  The main problem for me is that their is not much to hold on to. 

The stock grips are flat and slick increasing the problem.  A switch to VZ grips will help there. 

A mag extension is advisable but can be difficult to find now.  The Pearce extension for Kahr PM9 will work but look strange on the R9 and are not totally compatible with the R9's heel magazine release.

The are "textured" tapes available to add to the front and back strapes which will aid your grip also.

The best advice is to shoot one before you buy if you can.  Again there are not many around.  Good luck.

Offline arkdweller22

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
I own, carry (on occasion) and fire a .357 Magnum model 640, the hammerless version of the 60.
Comparing it to the Rohrbaugh is subjective as others have stated, and it really depends on the grips you have on the Smith. With factory boot grips that provide for the most comfortable shooting experience on the 640, the recoil is still greater on the wheel gun. The Rohrbaugh recoil is not painful at all. The issue with the Rohrbaugh is the lack and texture of the grip surface. It jumps around in your hand quite a bit. That can be mitigated with a "death grip" but it's still pronounced.

In short; the Rohrbaugh is quite a bit less punishing (painful) but is harder to control. Grip it hard.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
I recently purchased a R9S Stealth from ParkGT. Beforehand, he advised me that he had installed skateboard tape on 3 critical gripping spots on the gun. I saw the pics and I was skeptical. He assured me that if I did not like them, I could easily remove them with no damage to the gun. When I received the gun I was surprised that it looked like it belonged that way. Then I fired it at the range. Whew!!!! No more death grip needed! Looks great and works even better! A simple installation. Look at the pics.

No pics because it keeps telling me the file is too big...suggestions? Don't know how to reduce size on camera.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:14:49 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07:17 AM »
Norm  -  Save this to your computer and use it.  So simple I can do it and that is saying something.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
I agree on the tape, grip extensions, and VZ grips. All of them are on mine they help immensely.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
Norm  -  Save this to your computer and use it.  So simple I can do it and that is saying something.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

Wow, was that easy! Thanks!!!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »