Author Topic: Grip Removal  (Read 12889 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Grip Removal
« on: June 01, 2004, 12:01:26 AM »
My R9s 132 came with Torx No. 7 grip screws.  I assume that all of the current R9 series use the same screws.  Be careful when removing them.  Torx No. 7 is a small screw head and can be easily stripped.  Also, the male grip studs are fitted tightly into the female receptacles of the frame.  A fine blade carefully applied to one of the bottom corners of the grips may be required to pop the panel free of the frame.  When removing the right grip panel, take care not to disturb the trigger mechanism -- unless you want to reassemble the parts.  If such is needed, just study the various parts -- trigger, bar, spring . . . .  Two coils of the spring fit over two posts in the frame, the large coil rests in a groove in the grip, and the bitter end of the spring fits into a small hole in the bar.  Interesting, simple, . . . an inspired design -- but be aware that it is a design which requires good light and a stable platform to field-strip and clean the weapon, especially when taking it down to the level of inspecting the trigger mechanism.  

The more I learn about the Rohrbaughs, the more I like them.  (This certainly ain't my old 1911!")

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Grip Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »
Hopefully, the guys at Rohrbaugh are realizing this small weak link and will go to a harder tempered screw, or some suitable fix.
My friend Richard is a *Wordsmith*,...and most of us know, a Lawyer KNOWS how to use a screwdriver !  
                 >>>>>>>;D<<<<<<<<
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 11:38:35 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 08:24:01 AM »
 Well, now I know the factory guys are reading this forum.  I got an eMail from Eric,  they are right on top of the grip screw problem.   That is very reassuring !!      ;D

RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 02:25:37 PM »
My grip screws are plain hex ... taking a 1/16 allen.  Does seem important that the allen is not sub-size .. or these can begin to look chewed.  Harder ones would be nice.

I forgot to ask Eric ... and didn't want to bother him specially ... but those right hand ones that are so important .. wonder whether it is OK to apply a smidgeon of blue Loctite.  I checked mine after my test shoot and they did need a tweak.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 05:39:08 PM »
I was told today, by Eric, the grip screw problem is SOLVED.  A higher grade[hardness] of screw will be used.  
 PLUS, It's a *Torq* design [five pointed Star]

This will much better.
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 05:43:17 PM »
I wonder if he is (will be) able to supply these to us existing owners.  I would certainly like to upgrade mine, but hesitate to want to bother him for something minor.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 06:01:35 PM »
Eric's words were, "We are currently working on custom screws made specifically to our specifications for that application".    So it seems they are not available at this time,  but will be at some future time.

I would wait until they start showing up, I have a three month wait yet on my Rohrbaugh.
If it has them, I will post..
RJ=

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 07:52:54 PM »
 8)

Thanks RJ

wilco

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 01:14:17 PM »
Anyone with a torch can use Casenite powder and harden "soft" parts, to a degree adequate to handle screwdriver slot or allen head problems. Such casehardening does, however, make blueing a bit hard to match.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 12:12:55 PM »
Thanks......
RJ=

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 08:13:36 PM »
Thanks RJ.  2 down and 1 to go!

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Grip screws
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »
Has anyone gotten replacement screws for their grips? From Rohrbaugh,.. or any other source ?
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »
Not as yet RJ ...... I am hoping that sometime Eric will let us know that new and harder screws are available.  For now I have not wanted to hassle him over it.

I've not checked dia, TPI etc ... to I/D the thread but rather doubt it'll be the kinda screw pattern you'll find anywhere else - well, not easily!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 09:16:34 PM »
I thought/ hoped it would be something a knife maker supply would have, but don't know how to identify the screw,  any help out there??

http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm?TKS_FolderKits2.htm~smain
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 09:47:31 PM »
Give me a bit of time . I'll mic one up and get the thread data .........
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site