Author Topic: Needed accessory  (Read 12971 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Needed accessory
« on: May 31, 2004, 06:21:29 PM »

***Mr. Rohrbaugh, are you following this forum?***
 A tool to assist in disassembly/ reassembly.  Remember the little Seecamp used a .32 round in a *stovepipe* position, to align the *take down pin* ?   Why can't we have a small block of aluminum dimensioned to the correct size,  maybe in a *T*shape, so in won't fall through.
RJ=

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Needed accessory
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »
RJ,

I think you're on to something.  It could be brightly colored and serve an additional purpose of a "chamber unloaded plug" when the weapon is stored.

A plastic orange device -- similar in nature -- was included with a S&W Model 669 I owned many years ago.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 11:57:22 PM »
A great idea.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 06:17:48 PM »
Yes...Put me down for one.  ;)

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 10:47:23 PM »
Good suggestion. 'nough said.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 05:52:02 PM »
To help with disassembly I whittled a dowel down to size to stick into the chamber like a stovepipe. This keeps the slide in the right position to punch out the pin for disassembly, and it works fine. But it seems like a really crude tool to use in taking a beautifully machined pistol apart. What are the rest of you early owners using to help make disassembly easier?

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 07:36:10 PM »
Nothing. But I need to do something. This is an item that Rohrbaugh should make and sell.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 08:24:51 PM »
I just got my R9S today.  I barely have the hand strength to hold back the slide to align the pin hole for disassembly.  Don't know if I'll still have the strength to do so in a year or so.  If anyone has determined an item that can be used for this function, please share.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:08:19 PM »
When I get mine, I will make a device available for any that want it.  If it is simple enough, they will be free.  
 I said *if* :)
RJ=

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »
Thanks RJ.  Looking forward to it.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 12:50:55 PM »
Maybe some one could turn a metal rod on a lathe to the correct thickness and then cut off 1 inch lengths.

This is an issue that Rohrbaugh should deal with soon.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 04:24:52 PM »
I've gotten a lot better at assembly/disassembly since doing what the Marine Corps taught me to do many years ago.  I spent last night disasembling and reassembling it about 100 times.  I'm pretty good at it now but would still like one of RJ's gadgets.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 09:49:02 PM »
I have a lathe and some brass stock but ... not the time to play with it right now.

I think longer term, all Eric and Co need do is sub out to an injection moulding company -- for them to make a real simple ''T'' shaped piece out of polyethylene .... the cross part of the ''T'' would be placed in the open breech, it's forend engaging in chamber mouth .. rear end simply impinging on bolt face.  The rest of said ''T'' of course acts as a simple handle.

Cost?  Once set up .. a few cents .. and it'd make owners happy I think.  Hopefully Eric might see this thread and note the ideas .... if he doesn't find this then we must mention it to him sometime.

For now, I think dowel is simplest quick fix.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 01:08:55 PM »
 Interesting,  I just tried something on my S&W model 6906.

I pulled the slide back slightly and placed a 9 mm  round in the *stove pipe* position, and guess what?  It was in just the right spot for disassembly.  
 Has anyone tried this with the Rohrbaugh?  If so and it didn't work, what would it take, dimension wise?
RJ=

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 07:16:26 PM »
RJ,  I just tried it, 9mm is too big. The piece of material needs to be just slightly less than 5mm to work. The crude dowel I whittled down for this purpose measures about 4.8mm to 4.9mm in diameter. Anything from 4.7 to 4.9mm would work fine.  

"...what would it take, dimension wise?"