Author Topic: Joke of the Day  (Read 22202 times)

Offline Griff

• Expert
Re: Joke of the Day
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Querie: What would one call a canine whom was missing its legs?

Report: It would not be of consequence, since the animal referenced would not respond by presenting itself to the summoner.

Next querie: Where might one find such an animal?

Final Report: Precisely where one left it, of course.

How dat, Backup?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »
Hoo dat is, "who was missing its legs", not whom.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:27:14 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »
Tracker, although I think of dogs as people, common usage would be "WHICH was missing ITS legs".  Come on guys!  I can't be here for you all the time!  :o
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
That may be common usage but my two Shelties would agree with a writer's distinction:

Q: When I write stories that include horses, is it grammatically correct for me to say “he” or “she” when I write about a horse? Also when referring to a horse in context, can I write “who” and “whom”; e.g., “Whom shall I ride today?” —Hans C.

A: It’s not often we get grammar questions about animals—it’s even less often that we get one with two different answers. But that’s what we have here.

An animal is referred as “it” unless the relationship is personal (like a pet that has a name). Then it’s OK to use “he” or “she” when referring to the animal. This also applies to using “who” and “whom.” If the animal has a personal relationship with the person, then use “who” or “whom.” Otherwise you must exclusively use “which” or “that.” Here’s an example that incorporates both of these rules:

Personal: My horse, whom I call Steve, is my best friend. He comforts me when I ride him.

Generic: The stray dog, which I saw chasing its own tail, was shedding hair.

The “personal” rule also holds true if you’re writing a kids book and the animals can talk—as you’re giving them human traits and making them characters your readers can get to know. Even if the animals don’t have specific names, they are given personalities and this is enough to make them personal.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2017, 06:26:25 PM »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »
 "We have met the enemy and he is us."
  Pogo

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:28:53 PM by tracker »

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
Anywhoo...

What sits in a tree, has really big eyes, and says "whom, whom"?

A really classy owl.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Does the owl have a name?

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 10:17:58 PM »
Al.
- C. S. Lewis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
Something strange is going on with you guys......
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
We're just staying on thread topic; which has no restrictions at all.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:08 PM »
We're just staying on thread topic; which has no restrictions at all.

Speaking of thread,
A piece of thread walks into a bar.
The bartender says, "we don't serve your type in here, get out!"
The piece of thread leaves, ties himself in a knot, ruffles up the strings past the knot and returns to the same bar.
The bartender sees him come in and says, "hey, aren't you that piece of thread I just kicked out?"
The piece of thread replies, "no, I'm a frayed knot."
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »
Why not?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
Mike, good one!  The forum is tough on pedants...There they're their own worst enemy.
Tracker, a very erudite explanation which defends my opinion in the case in point!  Well done.
Grif, you take the prize.  I thought I could compete, but now I'm a frayed knot. 

I can tell I'm out of my league here...great stuff guys!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis