Author Topic: What's with all the four star cops?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
What's with all the four star cops?
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
Anyone else notice whenever they show a local police chief he ALWAYS wears four stars? Here in Carmel Indiana, we have 151 LEO's. In the military that would be a COMPANY which would have a Captain running things, to get one star you would need to be in charge of a DIVISION which has 19,000 men. Four stars would be in charge of 2-3 DIVISIONS, 60,000-80,000 men.

Why do ALL the podunk small town police chiefs want to play GENERAL????????? It sure isn't a sign of respect. It is like Michael Jackson wearing a Sergeants shirt. Thy look like clowns.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline mikejd

Re: What's with all the four star cops?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
No. It's like grammar school. They give you a star when you spell something correctly.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
No. It's like grammar school. They give you a star when you spell something correctly.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL - Love it guys . . . . . L O V E    I T

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
ANOTHER example. FOX news interviewed the police chief of Whittier California, population 80,000 about the same size as Carmel Indiana with 151 officers. the chief there also calls himself a FOUR STAR GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure George Patton is rolling in his grave. 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
Saw the police chief in Fresno speaking about that crazy 'Allah Akbar' killer. He has won 4 spelling bees and now also has FOUr stars. 8) 8) 8)
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
I wouldn't say Fresno is podunk. Carmel Indiana is podunk compared to it in size. Fresno has a population of half a million and close to 1000 officers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:26:07 AM by offrdmania »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
I wouldn't say Fresno is podunk. Carmel Indiana is podunk compared to it in size. Fresno has a population of half a million and close to 1000 officers.

So with 1000 officers Fresno would roughly equal a reinforced Battalion. A Battalion rates a Lieutenant Colonel, or MAYBE a Colonel, but NOT four stars. But hey. California is a hard core Lib. State so maybe he gets extra points for that?  ::) Just asking. ;D
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
It sounds like they need every one of them. I was based at NAS Lemoore and the San Joaquin Valley is truly grapes of wrath country. Happiness was Lemoore in my rear view mirror in addition to Lubbock TX.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
It sounds like they need every one of them. I was based at NAS Lemoore and the San Joaquin Valley is truly grapes of wrath country. Happiness was Lemoore in my rear view mirror in addition to Lubbock TX.

Google says average income there is $19,000. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Carmel is $52,000
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
 Commissioner Frank Reagan wears 4 stars and I think he deserves them.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
The four stars are meant to signify the police officer with the highest rank in the department.  The police rank structure mimics the military, but one is military and one is paramilitary.  In small departments, ranks might be based on seniority rather than number of men under command.  In a department with eight police officers, there might be the New Guy, several patrol officers, the Seargent, Lt, and Chief.  I don't I ever recall hearing of a Police Chief being called General.  The four stars just signify the high rank, not that he thinks he is a military general.  P.s.  NHL team captains don't command ships.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »
The four stars are meant to signify the police officer with the highest rank in the department.  The police rank structure mimics the military, but one is military and one is paramilitary.  In small departments, ranks might be based on seniority rather than number of men under command.  In a department with eight police officers, there might be the New Guy, several patrol officers, the Seargent, Lt, and Chief.  I don't I ever recall hearing of a Police Chief being called General.  The four stars just signify the high rank, not that he thinks he is a military general.  P.s.  NHL team captains don't command ships.

Neither does Capt Obvious and I think Capt Crunch should have been promoted by now after all these years. At least to a Major.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 05:54:39 AM »

OK. Now that makes sense. To compare number of those serving under you, the NYC police chief, largest department in America with 35,000 officers, would, in the military, rate one or maybe two stars.   
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline CPD.LT

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
In most large metropolitan police departments the rank structure is as follows:

Commander -  1 star
Deputy Chief - 2 stars
Asst. Chief -    3 stars
Chief  -           4 stars

Small departments is where you get into your General Patton rank insignias that no one can figure out.....