Author Topic: Needed accessory  (Read 12968 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
Re: Needed accessory
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2004, 08:11:51 PM »
I am getting by pretty well using a slightly amended "glock grip" that eliminates the need for a third hand.  That said, I waiting for those of you more scientifically minded to work this thing out.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 08:40:04 PM »
Know what ... when I last posted I was just visualizing .. and not checking, imagining slide having to be further back.  I have just done that and 9mil is right ... only about 5mm.

Being quite critical tho ... to gain reliable alignment for pin re-fitting .... would mean quite a close tolerance insert, and I am thinking now of not round bar but flat.  High density polyethylene would still do the job - and would need to be little more than an oblong section short stick .. very basic.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »
Once I get ahold of one of an R9 (may be awhile...getting ready to order), I would be happy to design and prototype a small batch here in my lab at school.  At the university where I am a grad student, we have about every prototyping cabability you could imagine from cnc machines to stereolithography.  We can even make small batch runs of injection molded plastic parts.  It's amazing to go from a 3D design in my laptop to a production capable part in a few hours.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »
Wow shelb, that would be cool.  A limited edition "Rohrbaugh Forum" disassembly tool!

;D
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 08:54:37 PM »
Shelb:
Put me on the list for a couple.  Boy do I admire such talent!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2004, 09:45:51 PM »
'Nother customer here Shelby! :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »
Yes please!   ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline Oscar

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2004, 11:58:43 PM »
  I'm not sure how this tool is to be used since I'm still waiting for my R9s to arrive.  Please describe the application and this tools function.
  If a rod of between 4.7 & 4.9 mm diameter will work, this is available from McMaster-Carr  at www.mcmaster.com (an industrial supplier that will sell one piece at a time).  Am I correct that the material should be softer than the slide material so no damage occurs?  If this is so, Nylon may be a good choice.  A 3/16 inch diameter rod will fall between 4.7 & 4.8 millimeters.
  Go to the Mcmaster-Carr web site and look under the "Raw Materials and Springs" heading and pick "Plastics".  Then pick "Rods" under the Form header.  Then pick "Nylon" under the "Material" header.  Then pick "Nylon 6/6" under the "Nylon Materials" header for its description (it is available in .1875 diameter).
  Let me know if this will suit your need. :-/

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2004, 12:33:37 AM »
Oscar - this could well work .... however one thing concerns me ...

We will assume, necessarily - that the ''spacer'' is softer material .. certainly Nylon 66 would be fine.  However ... it might take only a small depression in said material to effectively reduce its dia a fraction - enough maybe to take it ''out of tolerance'' for this function.

I personally think a better bet might be (like the end of a chopstick I am using right now) .... a taper piece .. going from say 4.7 thru 5mm over 3/8" or so .. this would allow for exact positioning for everyone .... and allow for compensation should a small groove wear in it.

See what I mean?  Slightly more versatile ... maybe?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forgot - said piece acts as a spacer or stop .... when inserted into space between rear of barrel and slide aperture ... at the exact point of slide rearward movement that permits extraction/replacement of slide pin - re disassembly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 12:35:49 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2004, 11:20:17 AM »
Chris:
When you guys with an engineering background work this out please translate and let me know what I need to buy and where I can buy it.  

Does anyone remember the scientist's equation on the blackboard in the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still?"  Your discussions seem to remind me of that.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2004, 12:43:24 PM »
Yes, yes...this is a great project for all you engineering types. Yes, please solve this problem for engineering morons like myself. I have enough trouble trying to nail a nail in straight, so while I do not have a clue what you are talking about...figure it out and then as Murray suggests...translate the answer.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2004, 12:48:52 PM »
."... a taper piece .. " R9SCarry

A good thought ...
RJ=

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2004, 01:49:32 PM »
I'm picturing a small slot in my pocket holsters for such a tool and an extra magazine!   ;D  Hint! ;D ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2004, 02:42:55 PM »
Consider this ... just as an example. ..... made from high density polyethylene or Nylon 66 .. something tough ... but also of course best if made thru quick injection process rather than machining.

A 9mm case is just over 3/8" (0.375") ... and so this or not too much longer is what we have to play with when inserting into space behind chamber.  Working on (sorry - going metric briefly) .... around 4.8mm as a safe min dia .... and going up to 5.2mm as a reasonable max dia we then have what I have drawn up... tho with ''normal'' dimensions! :)

For most part, the area of taper around 5mm mark ... near middle of taper - will be the section to use, but with the taper it'll be easier to move slightly in or out - to get optimal position.  Seem useful?  

Maybe even make max dia a tad larger ..... and leave of course a parallel section of inch or so for holding.. this is not all shown.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 02:44:05 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2004, 12:35:30 PM »
WOW...I have trouble signing my name, let alone "whipping-up" prototype blueprints. How do we non-engineering types keep you engineering types happy?