Author Topic: 2006 SHOT Show  (Read 9240 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Re: 2006 SHOT Show
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 09:16:03 PM »
Duane,

At some point it might be interesting for you to set up an online "chat" with the brothers and forum members.

Dick
Welcome home

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »
Hmmm. Interesting idea, RTW.

Eric would definitely have to do the typing!   ;D

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:10 AM »
That pic Duane - well hah - it is not a pic - it is a sorry attempt to promote member anxiety!! ;D

We await the later supply of ''real'' info soon!

BTW - I did some searching and - darned if I can find a web TV source this year - had one for 2005.  Anyone with info to help on that please post a link.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 09:31:47 AM »
Report posted in new thread in this forum.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 09:43:01 AM »
Thank you ... now off to see what it says before heading out to work.

Offline Alfadog

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 11:23:19 PM »
Hi Duane.  I finally have something to contribute to your forum so I decided to sign up.  To answer your original question, the best pics from the SHOT show can be found at Custom Glock Racing's website SHOT show page:

http://custom-glock.com/shot.html

Haven't seen anything terribly interesting there yet, but from the pictures it appears that there must be at least 310,473 different variations of the AR-15.  

The only other site I am aware of that is covering the show is Gunblast (nothing posted for today yet):

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_Show_2006.htm

Aaron

P.S.  I finally got to handle an R9S for the first time last weekend and was quite impressed.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 12:29:29 AM »
Aaron - welcome :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
Aaron:

Welcome from me as well.  Thanks for the links.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
Aaron is a good guy and a friend -- thanks for joining.  He is "one of us", although we need to convince him to buy an R-9!

I owe you a phone call too!   :D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 03:30:10 PM »
Aaron,   Welcome to the forum.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »
Aaron,
Welcome to the forum!!

Be the first in the neighborhood to have an engraved pup!! ;)

Good to have you here..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Alfadog

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
Aaron,
Welcome to the forum!!

Be the first in the neighborhood to have an engraved pup!! ;)

Good to have you here..

Brenden

Thanks for the welcome everyone and thanks for the kind words Duane.  

Brenden, if my wife found out I spent $4,000 on a pistol, I'd really find out how concealable it is.  I would have to have it surgically removed!

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Aaron.

Bill

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
Thoughts from the SHOT show:
Les Baer are very nice to deal with, and seem like the best guys for overall experience on a custom 1911 -- also, the most willing to guarentee accuracy -- felt pretty good in my hands -- didn't fit quite as nice as a Kimber

Detonics (1911) are great guys, and they're guns feel WONDERFUL -- and they have a very nice mirror polish stainless -- not my thing, but I think that a really nice blued finish could be applied over it.

Wild West guns are decent guys, once you talk to them a bit in person -- they're really more custom gunsmiths than a manufacturing company -- I already have one of their triggers, and an over-sized loop on my Marlin -- I picked up an aluminum follower, and a beefed up ejector at the show - the ejector is about twice the size of Marlins, one piece, and of better metal.  

Christensen arms are also great guys who build very nice guns.

Merkel double rifles feel like firewood -- I really think this has to be a custom made item -- some Limey gunsmith was complaining about Searcys, but every Limey gunsmith hates everything that isn't an English Double -- understandable, but not all of us want our guns to start at 25K.

Beretta builds BEAUTIFUL double rifles -- didn't even ask the price, didn't really need to, far beyond my means.

There is incredible wood available from Turkey, and the Marlin, if she does well in Africa, is getting a custom stock -- I'm going to try to get American Walnut, or maybe some type of African wood.  

Dakota was impolite, at least to me -- didn't see why I was worth their time -- don't know why, since their bolt actions aren't that expensive, but I strongly suggest anyone deal w. Christensen instead -- it's also a considerably shorter wait for a Christensen gun.  

Night Hawk and Yost-Bonitz are OK -- neither did much for me, nor did they seem really pleasant -- Les Baer focused more on how accurate/nice their guns were, as did Detonics -- Night Hawk was pushing how much money the shop could make out of them -- didn't like that attitude -- Wild West tries to push how much money a smith can make on installing their parts -- but it's really "Our parts are great, we only let the dealers make 10% on the cost of the part, but your customers will all want them installed, because they're so nice -- esp. the triggers, I'm really ecstatic about my trigger -- the loop is only needed because the bolt locks up tighter, and it has some more room in it -- good for my Russian Bear trip at a later date.  The ejector and follower just seemed like decent ideas, and they don't cost much.  

Yost Bonitz, in all honesty, I barely get to the counter, didn't really seem worth it.  

Leica Ultravids are the finest optics I've ever seen.
Pentax has a new Lightsaver scope, made in the US, good optics, great warranty, and, relatively inexpensive.
Everyone else, assuming you're talking about a wholesale 500+ is close to the same -- the guys at a thousand are a little better, and Zeiss is a little better at ~1200, but Leica were the only guys with an impressive difference above everyone else, including Zeiss.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »
Brad - thx for all those comments .

Plain from that is how folks attitudes towards you (us, the potential customer) can turn us on or off!!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site