Author Topic: Sig or Glock  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
Sig or Glock
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:40:53 PM »
Need opinion: And I know most on this site know about Guns.

If you had a choice which one would you go with:

Sig sauer 229 SAS, 40 Cal or Glock 27, 40 cal.

This is for CCW and a Gun that can be trusted.

Thanks

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Sig or Glock
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:52:19 PM »
I would go with the Glock because of the size; they are both
excellent guns and very reliable. I own a 229[not SAS] and
three Glocks.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:18:44 AM »
Get the SIG 229 SAS ...

Offline glioma

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 12:30:11 AM »
I have two Sig 229 SAS's. The absolute best handgun I have every owned. Slikly smooth trigger pull. Very little recoil. Fires everything I put into it. I thought my previous experience with Sigs had been good (P220 and P230), but then I met the 229 SAS, and it was like the first time all over again.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:24 PM »
I would go with it too except for the concealed carry
consideration; it is not a small or light weapon. The other
plus for the Sig is magazine capacity.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:15 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I am very much a Glock/1911 guy when it comes to medium to large size handguns.  The Glock has unsurpassed durability and reliability.  I would also have to give a Glock, whether it is the 27 or even the 23, an edge in concealability over the P229.  

I really like designs that offer a light trigger pull for all shots, and as much as I like Glocks for this feature, I think Sig has a winner with their DAK trigger system.  
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:01 AM »
I am a confessed SIG guy and like the manual of arms.

My 226 EDC is just what I want and the 228 and 220 are also emminently carry-worthy if required.

I am not at all anti Glock but still - depite enjoying shooting with 17 and 19 - favor the extra safety aspects of the SIG's.  A Glock in good hands is not of course unsafe per se and heck - they run and run - but so do SIG's :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »
I have both and have carried both.  I like both very much.  I now carry the Sig primarily.  The reason for me was that with my grip I ride the slide of the Glock a little too hard and have had a strange failure where the spent round is ejected, but the slide didn't travel back far enough to chamber a fresh round.  This resulted in a click instead of a bang, hence the change.  

The Glock is slightly smaller and definitely lighter.  It also holds one more round in the magazine.  The Glock points better for me with its lower bore axis.  
The Glock also has more felt recoil and with high volume shooting in hot and humid conditions the checkering on the back of the grip started to irritate my hand.

The Sig has less felt recoil.  Due to the frame size I don't ride the slide with my thumbs, so no click when I expected bang.  With the proper belt and holster I don't notice the size or weight difference from the glock.  One round less does not cause me distress.  It has repeat strike capability and the trigger is very nice.  

You really can't go wrong with either gun.  They are both reliable weapons and can be easily carried and concealed.  I would go and hold them both and see which one feels better.  Of course price might be a factor as well.  You can probably find a Glock for about $500 where the SAS will run you $800 - $900.  
Good luck with whatever you choose.  You won't be disappointed with either.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 09:39:59 AM by Rocnerd »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
I know you guys have no problem doing it but I simply can not get away with conceiled carry of these large "hand cannons" you guys talk about.  In some ways I envy you in that you can carry some of these guns conceiled.  My options are limited but now that I have the Rohrbaugh I guess I really have no reason to envy anyone at all.  Thanks Rohrbaugh!!

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:04:53 PM »
Mike,

I think the secret is having the freedom to keep your shirt out, rather than tucked in.

I can use a belt holster, and get away with it.

Bill

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »
I knew I would get the right info here, so I did it this way: If you have two Diamonds of the same quality one may have a little more carbon spot then the other but does the same thing for you, I guess you should buy the best price one. So I am buying the Glock 27.

Thanks for your time and input.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 12:10:11 AM »
Carrying a gun that big is definitely not a 16/7 thing for me.  Depending on my circumstances, it might be a North American Arms .380 (soon to be Rohrbaugh) in a pocket, or a Glock 26 either IWB or in a pocket.  Once the new front sight for my Glock 19 comes in, that will be carried with some frequency IWB, but that is starting to approach my limit.

I can hide a full-size 1911 under an untucked shirt, but the holster and shirt both have to be carefully selected, and I have to watch when I bend at the waist.

I have found that a full-size 1911 in a really good holster can hide better than a .38 snub nose in a poor holster.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline twostar

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »
Comparing a Sig and a Glock is a little like comparing a Mercedes with a Volkswagen.  Either one will get you there but, one is an elegant design and pure quality while the other is a tool.  You're carrying concealed so you're betting your life on the gun.  My life is worth the extra cost.  I don't know about yours, but I suspect you would agree.  
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 12:08:41 AM »
I personally have come to love Glocks and their ability to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. I have yet to shoot a Sig, so I cannot tell you which is better between the Glock and the Sig.

The only thing I might question is your choice of Glocks for this comparison. I personally don't understand why anyone would go with the Glock 27 when the Glock 30 is around:

Glock 30
http://www.glock.com/g30.htm
Caliber: .45 Auto
Length (slide): 6.77 in.
Height: 4.76 in.  (4.45 in.)        
Width: 1.27 in
Length between sights 3): 5.95 in.
Barrel length: 3.78 in.
Magazine capacity: 10 (9)
Empty weight without magazine: 23.99 oz.      

Glock 27
http://www.glock.com/g27.htm
Caliber: .40
Length (slide): 6.29 in.    
Height: 4.17 in.
Width: 1.18 in.
Length between sights: 5.67 in.  
Barrel length: 3.46 in.            
Magazine capacity: 9 / 11
Empty weight without magazine: 19.75 oz.  

The Glock 30 is only ~0.5" longer and taller and only ~0.1" wider. It only weighs ~4 more ounces than the 27. it has the same or 1 less round than the .40 and for those small differences you get to carry the proven stopping power of .45 ACP instead of watered down .40 rounds. Just my humble opinion.  

"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 01:33:20 AM »
I love my Glock 30.  It is an excellent sidearm that can take a ton of punishment.  Some can not get used to the Glock trigger though.  

I believe guns are like insurance companies or banks.  What is good for one person may not be the best choice for another.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 05:42:55 AM by bigyimmy »