Author Topic: Bullet Expansion Comparison  (Read 4994 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Bullet Expansion Comparison
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
I found this post from 06 by a member here on the forum, some interesting info on carry ammo.

John

Oldgranpa and I set out to do a little more wetpack testing.  In our ealier tests, we noted that some bullets fired from the LWS380 appeared to keyhole -- though penetration was very acceptable.

I had read of possible keyhole results from the Rhorbaugh R9S in threads on the rohrbaugh forum.  So, oldgranpa and I decided to conduct a little shoot-out between the two guns -- specifically looking for evidence of keyholing.

We weren't disappointed, six rounds were fired from each pistol -- 2 showed evidence of keyholing from the R9S and 1 from the LWS380.

Here are the results:

A few interesting notes.  Both Silvertips fired from the LWS380 failed to expand -- at all.  The 115gr Gold Dot perfomed much better than the 124 gr Gold Dot from the R9S.  Both pistols produced shots that keyholed -- though penetration was excellent.

Based upon the previous results from the LWS380 with the Corbon DPX load -- it is still the cartridge that I recommend (and carry) in my Seecamp.  Oldgranpa fired a couple of DPX cartridges today -- and as before, expansion was complete and penetration was excellent.

Since the R9S is limited to standard pressure ammunition (thus ruling out the +P DPX for use), it appears that the lighter weight Gold Dot is the best performer of the ammunition tested in the Rohrbaugh.

Regards,
Flyandscuba  
Aug 3rd, 2006, 8:48pm
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Bullet Expansion Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »

We haven't heard from Fly in a long time.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
John.  Glad you dug up that info; and tracker, I do wonder what has happened to Fly as I have gone back and read some of his posts.

I do think I have seen him sign in a very few times in the last year, but he didn't post.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »

He was a true asset to the forum and I hope all is well with him. Maybe Duane knows something.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »
I talked to fly in a pm a month or two ago and he was fine and still has his Rohrbaugh.  I'm not sure why he does not post here anymore.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »

Thanks, Corey.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
Fly's last post was 8/26/08 about an ad for an old style S & W 4513.  Then nothing after that post.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »

Things change and another one I miss is Michigunner, Bill from Michigan. He is a gentleman as well.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
I was just thinking about him.  I PM'ed Brenden about him, probably six or eight months ago, but Brenden hadn't heard from him or didn't know what or if anything had happened to him.  

Interesting what you learn reading the early days of the Forum.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »

I pm'ed him about a year ago; he graciously responded with appreciation. That was it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
WOW!  Glad you heard from him.  Maybe he just has different interests.  Thanks.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 03:57:17 PM »
Yes there is some interesting information to be had. One guy had the tritium inserts installed and R.J. said he was going to have his gun done also, don't know if that ever happened or not.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson