Author Topic: First 50 flawless rounds through my Stealth  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Tim B

First 50 flawless rounds through my Stealth
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »
Today I initiated my new Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth...

Although I found the pistol to be perfectly clean and well lubricated from the factory, I did it again just because that's my usual practice with any new weapon.

I bought two extra magazines right from the get-go, so I have 4 available for shooting.  Before leaving the house I loaded up with 6+1 115 grain Gold Dots, and I loaded six rounds of the same ammunition in each of the remaining three magazines.  I used two magazines with the factory flat floor plates, one of Yankee2500's straight magazine extensions, and one of his curved magazine extensions.

I went to the local indoor range where I have a membership.  All rounds in this shooting session were fired at a distance of 15 feet.

Here is the first target... a full load of six plus one followed by three more magazines of Speer standard pressure 115 grain Gold Dots.  I think the gun and ammo are capable of better results than what are shown here.  I had some vertical stringing as I got used to the trigger.  That having been said, they all went close enough to point of aim that I was pleased with the results.

(Please excuse the poor-quality cell phone photos.)

I had no problem shooting with the flat factory magazine floor plates.  The quality of John's magazine extensions is EXCEPTIONAL.  However, I found that while the straight magazine extension was comfortable to shoot, the curved one did not fit my hand well and I do not care for it. (I will keep the curved magazine extension to see how my wife likes it.)

I also noticed while shooting/carrying during this brief outing, that there are two sharp points on the forward edge of the factory flat magazine base, where the curved front edge meets up with the straight side edge.  This isn't much of a big deal when the magazine is in the pistol, since the thickness of the grips tends to prevent contact with the edge in question to some degree.  However,  carrying spare magazines is a different matter and I think there is a possibility for this same sharp edge to wear on clothing.  I think I will carry my Pup with a standard magazine in place, but use John's straight magazine extensions on my spare mags.

The two magazines I used with standard flat floor plates were the ones with the black finish.  I am left-handed and wear a Titanium wedding ring.  After my shooting session I noticed the black finish was worn off of the front left corner of both of the black magazine bases. (This is after having fired two full loads through each magazine.)  It doesn't bother me all that much, as I'll just touch that area up with a Sharpie after each shooting session.  It is noteworthy though, to anyone who tends to get uptight over such things.  I got the black magazines to use for carry, just to minimize the visual profile of the gun in the event of a wardrobe malfunction.  I like the black finish, but I wish it was more durable.

My first impression during this initial 25 rounds was that although the recoil is there, it is nothing I can't handle and I do not anticipate wanting to own a .380 version of this gun.

Now to try a few other loads and see how they work out...

Next I fired six rounds of Federal standard pressure 124 grain HST.    (Upper Shoot-n-See circle, in the center of the target.) I REALLY like this ammo in my Kahr PM9 due to its accuracy and low flash.  It seemed to perform equally well in the Rohrbaugh.

I then fired six rounds of Federal standard pressure 124 grain Hydra-Shock.  (Lower Shoot-n-See circle, in the belly of the target.)  Flash was noticeably greater with this round, and the group was much bigger.  I will discontinue shooting this particular load in my Pup.

Next up was six rounds of Federal standard pressure 115 grain hollow point, the "Classic" 9BP load.  This was fired using the orange spot in the head of the target as an aiming point.  The ammunition was not unpleasant to fire, but it seemed to print to the right of the point of aim.  Jury is still out on this one, as I did not shoot enough to determine if it was me or the ammunition.  I'll do some follow-up shooting with this load before I write it off...

Lastly, I shot 7 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 grain ball, using the orange circle to the left of the head as an aiming point.  The ammo was pleasant to shoot and while the group was not as small as I wanted, it was roughly centered around the point of aim.  I was happy this was the case, as I have a lot of this ammunition on hand for practice.

When I got home to clean the pistol, I noticed the outer recoil spring was visibly different from what it had been prior to the shooting session.  In the photo below, the original spring is on the top and a new, unused replacement spring is on the bottom.   I re-installed the original spring after cleaning the gun.  It is my intention to shoot 150 rounds using this spring and then discard it. (This is after considering that I am doing a lot of racking the slide without firing while this spring is installed, part of me familiarizing myself with the weapon.)

BOTTOM LINE: I am a happy camper and I am VERY happy with my new pistol :-)

-Tim
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:20:49 AM by timb92020 »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: First  50 flawless rounds through my Stealth
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:04 AM »
Tim.  Thanks for a great range report.  Glad you like the Stealth and are the happy camper; continue to enjoy this great pistol.  Excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: First 50 flawless rounds through my Stealth
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
Great range report and I love all the pics. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:49:02 PM »
Nice report. From what I understand, racking the slide has no ill effects on the overall life of the recoil spring.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
Nice report. From what I understand, racking the slide has no ill effects on the overall life of the recoil spring.

Thanks and that's good to know. For some reason I thought I remembered reading that a cycle was a cycle and they all count.  I'm glad I was mistaken.

-Tim

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »
Tim, good range report, glad you like the pup. ;D  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline hawkeye10

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
 :D I am new here and trying to learn. Very good post Tim. Thanks  Don
"Don't worry be happy"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
Don,
   You came to the right place to learn about the pup, there is a wealth of good information to be had on this forum.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
:D I am new here and trying to learn.

All kinds of info here, Don.  Enjoy learning!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
Don, welcome to the campfire, pull up a log and enjoy.  Tom

Offline Tim B

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
:D I am new here and trying to learn. Very good post Tim. Thanks  Don

Thanks Don and glad you enjoyed my post.  I recently returned from a short vacation to Utah where I had the opportunity to shoot my R9S at a gravel pit out in the desert in a more informal setting.

I put another 50 rounds down range at varying distances out to about 20 yards and I had no problem hitting a basketball sized target at that distance.  I now have 200 rounds through the gun and have had no stoppages whatsoever.

With a brand-new recoil spring in place and loaded with standard pressure Federal 124 grain HST ammunition, my Rohrbaugh is now fully integrated into my carry battery :-)

-Tim

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Tim, Good news!! glad you and the pup enjoyed your trip to Utah. Great shooting by the way! ;D    Tom

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »
Tim.  Excellent to hear more news of on the performance of the Stealth.  Keep 'em coming!    :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »

Thanks Don and glad you enjoyed my post.  I recently returned from a short vacation to Utah where I had the opportunity to shoot my R9S at a gravel pit out in the desert in a more informal setting.

I put another 50 rounds down range at varying distances out to about 20 yards and I had no problem hitting a basketball sized target at that distance.  I now have 200 rounds through the gun and have had no stoppages whatsoever.

With a brand-new recoil spring in place and loaded with standard pressure Federal 124 grain HST ammunition, my Rohrbaugh is now fully integrated into my carry battery :-)

-Tim

Tim,
   Glad the pup is now trusted enough to be in service, another good report.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson