Author Topic: Rohrbaugh, genious fact or foolish fiction  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Topaz454

Rohrbaugh, genious fact or foolish fiction
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:26:06 AM »
To quote a famous writer...."Welll guys wat can i say i was pretty iffy on the reliability of the pup, just cuz all ive heard in this forum,"......

Big Sigh.... Here goes.  :-[

I have carried a picture of a Rohrbaugh in my day timer for over a year.  I have other hand guns, including, 22 mag derringer, 22 mag mini on necklace, Seecamp 32, Kel Tec P3AT and on up the line.  ;)

I have researched a pocket pistol "to death".  I have size and weight charts.  I confirmed their accuracy with my own scale and rulers.  I have range reports for Colt, Kahr, Kel Tec, Smith minis,, Sig, etc, etc.  I have watched all the U tubes.  Read all the Forums: Glock, Seecamp, Smith, Kel Tec, Highroad, Sniper Hide, etc etc.  A lot of the readouts about the R9S were skeptical, uncomplimentary, talking ammunition sensitivity, unreliable, over heating, inaccurate, too expensive compared to what else is out there.  :-/

In spite of this, I liked the concept and focused on those that spoke favorably of the "Pup".  I found and bought a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth.  I waited to pick it up and all the while I wondered if I was being foolish. I reread all my collection of information and wondered how I was going to shoot my R9S with my fingers crossed.   ???
Topaz454
Ist Sgt ret
I am where I am in my life becasue of decisions I have made.

Offline Topaz454

Re: Rohrbaugh, genious fact or foolish fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:56:24 AM »
2.  So I headed to the local WAC Gun Show and looked for several "premium" boxes of 9mm standard velocity ammunition.

I picked up my "Pup" at the same show.  Feeling pretty spunky I confirmed clear, got a zip tie on it and stuck it in my pocket.  I then proceeded to pull it out and compare it to every tabled "pocket .380" I came across.  To a person, no one recognized my R9S, all assuming it was some .380.  With each stop my pride pumped up a little more.  The feel of the pistol was every bit of the quality I had hoped for. I took it out with each comparison and was reassured by the comparative fit and finish compared to the rest.  But riding home, with several boxes of various 9mm in my bag too, the concern came back.  Do I have an over priced lemon?  How will I get my money back out of it?

Will Rohrbaugh really stand behind their product without a fight?

Yup, Buyer's remorse.  

So I took it home.  Reread about disassembly. Stuck it in my hip pocket for awhile.  Then my front pocket.  Then a coat packet. Ordered carbon fiber grips.

Called my son, Chris.  Told him about it and sent him a picture of it in the palm of my hand so he could get a clue. Set up a range date........ hoping I would not be embarrased in front of my son.
Topaz454
Ist Sgt ret

Offline Topaz454

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:11:05 AM »
3. Ok, OK.  I'm getting there.  Range day.
Did a final disassembly and lube and ...and ... dropped the dang pin while trying to put it back together.  Heard it hit the bench then nothing.  Started the search on the carpeted floor. Nothing.  Looked all over the bench.  Still nothing. Dang.  Got out my flashlight and researched the floor.  Grrrr. Nothing.  Now I'm pushing stuff back from the spot the pin should have hit.  Nothing.  Dang.  Clean up the bench item by item. Finally walked over to my range bag, 5' from the bench and there on the floor next to it was a shiney little pin?  Grrrr.  Put "Pup" back together, note to self, "get disassembly tool".

Met Chris at Range.  Made tactical error.  Both Chris and I have Kel Tec P3AT .380s to shoot too.  Chris' just came back from factory so he was anxious to shoot it.  I wanted to compare his Gen II with my Gen I.  So we proceeded to shoot 70 to 80 rounds of .380.  Any of you with any Kel Tec knowledge know the P3at is "abrupt" to say the least and hurts your trigger finger especially after several mags worth of shooting.  AND, I found a hang nail on the side of my trigger finger right next to the dent the P3AT trigger was putting in it.  Sigh.  OK, ON to the "Pup".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:31:52 PM by Topaz454 »
Topaz454
Ist Sgt ret

Offline Topaz454

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:02 AM »
4. Talking tough while I cleared the bench but not feeling tough, I loaded American Eagle 115 grain FMJ. inserted mag. Racked it to load the chamber. Took it back out and reloaded 6th round. inserted mag...... I am not stalling.....  Took careful aim.  Grip tight, two hands unsupported 7 yards. Pull trigger back and stack like I had practiced. Get to full back point.  Realign sights on 6 O'clock of 1 1/2 bull.  Bang. Hmmm. Cut the edge of the bull. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang. Trigger really smooth.  Stacks predictably,  Bang. Bang. Well. That wasn't bad. Actually better than the P3AT.  Better group too.  Naw. MUCH better group.  
No hitches.  No hesitations. No FTF, FTFi or FTE?  So far so good.
Another mag plus 1 of fmj.  Perfect.  
Another mag plus 1 of fmj.  Perfect as well.  Cool.  So far it likes FMJ.:o

Next up Harnady 115 XTP.  New target.
7 rounds. No "cooling off". Shoot each shot deliberately.
All round clustered around 60'clock of the 1 1/2" bull.

Next up Mag Tec 95g.
7 rounds. No "cooling" other than during mag reload.
Hmmm, crazy.  Muzzle blast noticably brighter but all rounds clustered around the 6 o'clock if the 1 1/2" bull.

Next up Speer 115 gr Gold Dot.
7 rounds. No "cooling" off.
Getting a little boring? Trigger finger actually feels better now than when I finished with Kel Tec a bit ago. Again.....all round clustered around the 6 o'clock of the 1 1/2" bull.  

All four types of ammo, one noticably different (Mag Tec) all grouped in the same place!  Granted it was 7 yards but I have a full size Browning that groups well but the groups move around if you change ammo?

Recap.  Dang Karl Rohrbaugh.  You are a genious!.  This P9S is well worth every penny of what I paid, and it was not MSRP. Seecamp .380s are only $150 or so less than this Full 9mm. pocket wonder. :D

OK, so now I am tempting fate.  I am now doing just what I would suggest that others not do. Loaded up a mag with mixed ammo. Take my time.  Squeeze. Bang, Bang. Bang. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!
I could definitely feel the difference between ammo but the "pup" didn't care.  Oh yeah.  The group.  All round clustered around the 6 o'clock of the 1 1/2" bull. :o

Thank you Karl.  For a very high quality, reliable, perfect pocket pistol.  ;D    
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:34:28 PM by Topaz454 »
Topaz454
Ist Sgt ret

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
Who is Keith?  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
Topaz, Welcome to the group. Good report.

I think he means "Karl" ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »
Topaz:

Welcome to the "Club." And thank you for that fine range report. I'm glad that you chose to focus on "those that spoke favorably of the 'Pup'," since I am unabashedly one of them.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »
Nice range report. I am glad all is well with your PUP.

Be careful, they can be addictive. I now own three! ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
Topaz.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the Stealth.  Excellent range report.  Your results are as they should be.  Thanks for sharing your info.    :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Topaz, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your Stealth, looks like another happy camper.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Topaz454

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
 :-/  Good question.  In my enthusiasm I gave KARL Rohrbaugh new nick name.

Sorry Karl.

Tony
Topaz454
Ist Sgt ret

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
Tony,

Welcome, congrats on the Pup, and the great range trip.

Rick