Author Topic: R9s vs R9  (Read 11935 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
Re: R9s vs R9
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 11:23:53 AM »

Greetings Gator,

I find this post to be very intriguing. Did the Rohrbaugh brothers mention to you just why the addition of sights were a after thought?  I still appreciate all of you that gave comments on the virtue of having sights on the R9, but I'm still having second thoughts about that, I guess in my case it's because I've had such good luck in up close and instinctive shooting, and maybe thats do to with all the practice that has been done over the years. When I was quite young  ( which was a long time ago!) I was introduced to a man that was a quick draw artist, and was admazed at how he could draw, fire and hit a target with a single action revolver at a fairly good distance not using any sights! I was able to talk to him and he said it was instinctive and required a lot of practice .......I don't know.. having sights on a handgun such as a R9..could that possibly be a mental deterrent?  These are all thoughts, open to conjecture!

Fred
mismatch

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 11:33:07 AM »
Well said Fred. It is nice to be able to chose one with or without sights.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 04:21:32 PM »
Fred - I'll reiterate something I mentioned before i think - and this is just me.

Bit like having a gun - better to have and not need .... etc ...

When I bring up R9 for a fast shot - I am barely aware of the sights - not to mention my old eyes making it hard to get better than grade A1 blur! :P  So in a sense, with the sights presenting no distraction at all - I am effectively point shooting.

However - if time allows - as it might with a significantly longer shot - then I do like to see the traditional sight picture, even if blurry!  It does IMO give an edge when pushing the envelope to maybe 20 - 25 yards.

OTOH - I guess I could say too - if I didn't have 'em - maybe I wouldn't miss 'em! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 06:45:07 PM »
Mismatch,

If I recall correctly, the original prototypes had no sights.  The R-Bros felt it was unnecessary for the intended use of this pistol.  Feedback from prospective customers, however, indicated that sights were desired by a lot of people, even on a pocket gun.  Some suggested that it was negligent on their part not to include sights!  The R-9s was born...

I agree with the "better to have and not need" crowd.  You can point shoot with or without sights.

The "miscalculation" by the R-Bros is that this gun, being built to Karl's precise specs, is capable of far more accuracy and range than they may have initially thought.  ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »

Gentlemen,

Again thank you for the informative information regarding sights or no sights.  I shall refrain from this subject until I have my own R9/R9s in my hot little hands and can speak  more authoritatively on this matter.  
   I spoke to Maria several weeks ago and she said she expects the order to take another 2- 2 1/2 months, the order was placed in october.  It's been said that half of the fun is getting there, I don't know who said that " but they must of been on drugs"  after reading this forum all the time and I go to bed and dream about that pistol!!  I can imagine it's the same condition that all of you have gone through also.  I will say this, I'm a very lucky and grateful person, as I have recently moved up north, and with my son and daughter's property adjoining mine, I have 30 acres to test the new hand gun out on, what more could a gun-nut ask than that!

Fred
mismatch

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »
Fred, That sounds great, living close to family in this day and time. In addition you have some land to play in!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline HiCap

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:17 AM »
Having just acquired my first Rohrbaugh, an Rs, and taken it down and put it back together, I can attest for the need for the front sight.  It catches the corner of the bench and assists in holding the slide back enough to insert the barrel pin.  Can't do that with the R.

HiCap

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 10:40:47 AM »
HiCap,

Lol, your message is well received and appreciated!

I have had my R9s for several months now and I'm delighted that all I have to use to disassemble and reassemble is a wooden toothpick.  It could not be easier,.... although I will test your method the next time I do a cleaning.

Thanks for the comment, ..... I might mention I have over 300 rounds put through my pistol, and have had only one glitch ( FTF ) and it was I feel my fault!  Love this " Gun" !
mismatch

Offline HiCap

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 10:49:52 AM »
Mismatch, I had two FTF's yesterday out of 7.  Golden Saber.  Fired on second strike.  Only problem I've had out of about60 rounds of Winchester Federal 9BP and Blazer.

I'm not of the school of carry a lot, shoot a little; my school is if I carry it a lot I want to shoot it a lot, or else I'll carry a brick.

Incidently, the manual that came with mine, # 8xx, called for spring replacement after 250 rounds.

Thanks.

HiCap

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 04:00:35 PM »
HiCap,

I guess I must have a very good R9s, .. although I do clean it a lot and talk to it once in awhile!  ;)  I spend much time in and around my two barns and I'm always evolved in some kind of dusty, dirty work, and have noticed dust and small pieces of pocket lint, straw, grass between the slide and frame. When it gets like that which is practically every day, I go back and crank off a couple of rounds just to make sure it would be good to go if I needed it!

The primary round that I carry is 147gr Federal Hydra-Shok JHP, it seems to be the round she likes the best and I get the most accuracy out of.

I also shoot 124gr FMJ American Eagle, mostly to practice with, and even some DFA  Frangible rounds, just to see if it will tolerate whatever I put through it  so far with that one exception she has been just great.
mismatch

Offline Woo_Woo

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 10:37:17 PM »
Hello everyone, quick question here, for all of you point shooters (most, if not all of you, I'm sure), do you have any advice on how to learn point shooting?  Is there any way to learn it faster or any technique?  I have been contemplating purchasing a book or video but I am not sure if it will be a worthwhile investment.  Please let me know what your thoughts are on this!  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »
Woo-Woo .... my take?

No vid needed, no specific training - it's all down to you!

Essentially start close - from a retention type hold, fire at a target from 3 yards - 10 feet let's say.  See where shots go and register that in your muscle memory - keep at it 'till you are approx centered.

Expand distance then to 15 feet and repeat - again getting that ''feel'' from grip and gun general hold - it will maybe surprise you just how well you can remember the ''feel'' of the hold that works.

if you succeed at that range then stretch to 20 feet - and see how you do.

To be honest I don't really think point shooting is needed as such, other than at extreme close ranges - all but ''bad breath'' distance. ;D

Personal ''training'' is IMO all that is needed.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »
Chris, I've also been thinking about Point Shooting.

Thanks for your remarks on the subject.

It seems like worth  trying.   I'm glad you mentioned use of the  Retention position.  

Bill

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »
Chris,
I'm going to try your point shooting routine at my next range session on Monday.  Looks like you have the Michigan contingent thinking "close range".  The few rounds I've fired from my R9S unsighted indicate that it points pretty well in my hand.  (Not necessarily true with other guns I own.  Glock 22 was the worst, to the point I sold it!)

BTW: I find the R9S sights very useful.  For my aging eyes the front sight width / rear notch width is just about perfect.  As good as my old standby Ruger Mark II.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 09:18:41 PM »
I'd add - my references were solely to my personal interpretation of point shooting - I believe views vary on what is or isn't actually such.

For me the prime concern is being able to shoot with passable accuracy other than sighted, tho it is possible still I reckon to be point shooting with the gun up to head level - but then no use at all of sights or barrel alignment optically - just very ''instinctive''.

I don't think it matters too much what we call it - as long as we develop at least some ''feel'' for what we can do in an emergency.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site