Author Topic: Man up = PLEASE  (Read 8649 times)

Offline scaatylobo

Man up = PLEASE
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:03 PM »
I was getting a bit scared after reading all the horror storys about dissembly of the R-9 and then the even worse re-assembly.So after tackling the task I am wondering how much real life handgun shooting and cleaning was really involved in all the whining that I have read.Idid clean my pistol yesterday and it literally fell apart,then took all of a minute to re-assemble !!.I then spoke to Maria at Rohrbaugh and she agreed with me as to the ease.I had to post this as I am a fairly frequent shooter and am familiar with many different firearms and was wondering if there was a disparity on this forum with actual shooters that clean their own ?.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Man up = PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »

Welcome, scaatylobo. Ease, or the lack of, in assembly and disassembly is a very subjective issue. I have always had the impression that forum members are sincere and tell us like they feel it. I am happy that it comes easy for you to clean the R9; it can only enhance your opinion and confidence in the weapon.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
Welcome scaatylobo, I do not find the R9 to be difficult to take down or reassemble but it is not as easy as my P380.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »
Now . . . for those who want some real enjoyment in the fine art of fieldstripping and reassembly, try one of these gems:

8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
scaatylobo.  I do not find it difficult either to take down or reassemble the R9.  I don't use any tools, and just follow the owner's manual.  

Glad also that it's easy for you.  Makes it all that more enjoyable to do the cleaning.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
Now . . . for those who want some real enjoyment in the fine art of fieldstripping and reassembly, try one of these gems:

8)

Richard.  As you might recall, I have one of these, a Browning, Model 1922, .32 caliber long, and while field stripping, twisted the barrel extension, it flew off, and lost the
spring and slide extension catch to hold on the barrel extension).  You sent me a vendor's name that sold parts for these.

I ordered the part and it worked.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:42:39 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
Thank you all,I must have read the weenie threads as it was making me change my Depends just thinking about cleaning her - till I actually did.just ordered 4 more springs [ now have 6 ] and 3 more mags too :-) .Now getting some good leather from a local [ Richie Leather Co ] used to work with Lou Alessi [ good guy he was !].

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54:32 PM »
So, you make holsters!  That's good to know.    :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »

You may have misread that, KJ. Ritchie makes holsters in Lou's old shop in Amherst N.Y.. I was fortunate to buy one of Lou's holsters a couple of years ago. He was a fine gentleman.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
Thanks, tracker.  I wondered about that.  Where have you been, anyway?  Hope everything is OK.  You haven't been posting as much.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »

It's hard to get a word in edgewise; decided to give it a little rest.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
Well, sometimes it happens that way.  I was concerned, though.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:25:23 PM »

Thank you, I appreciate the kind thought and hope all is well with you.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:53:15 AM »
Okay Richard.  I have to ask - what is that gun?  I don't recognize it.  

Steve

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Okay Richard.  I have to ask - what is that gun?  I don't recognize it.  

Steve
Not mine,but I believe its an Astra.And that was correct inasmuch as I do not make holsters [ wish I had started LONG ago ].I am dissapointed with the 'new' Alessi holsters and that is why I am going the "Richie Holster" route.Spoke to him and he EDC's a Rohrbaugh and will be making me a few sheaths for mine.