Author Topic: Man up = PLEASE  (Read 8648 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Man up = PLEASE
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »
 scaatylobo, are you from the WNY area? I thought maybe you were if you met Lou, I met him many years ago, great holster maker and fine man. I spent 50 + yrs in Orchard Park.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Okay Richard.  I have to ask - what is that gun?  I don't recognize it.  

Steve

Steve:

It's the FN Browning Model 1922, and as KJ will probably agree, it has springs just looking for the chance to launch themselves into space along with various and sundry other small bits and pieces. Here is a parts diagram:

The one I own bears stamp marks showing that it was issued to the German Luftwaffe in WWII.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:42:25 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
scaatylobo, are you from the WNY area? I thought maybe you were if you met Lou, I met him many years ago, great holster maker and fine man. I spent 50 + yrs in Orchard Park.

John
Was born and lived in NYC till I was 25 then moved to Western NY and got 'on the job' in 1982 till I left IOD and now disability retired with 26 years as LEO.Lou was a class act and a GREAT holster maker,I have seen and used many holsters by most makers and he is the one I will miss.I expect Skip at Richie Holster to take his place as they used to be partners and Skip has 'the touch'.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »
It's hard to get a word in edgewise; decided to give it a little rest.

Tracker:

"Word in edgewise?" From what I used to hear, you pilots of the A-4 Skyhawk ("Heinemann's Hot-Rod") could put a Zuni rocket edgewise through the door of a jungle hut if you chose to do so.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Richard,
Thanks for the FN1922 picture.  Your example looks a bit more 'polished' than the average ones I turned up in my quick Google search.
According to Ol' Army Joel's Military Collectibles http://www.olarmyjoel.com/Virtual%20Arms%20Room/browning%201922.htm, The Model 22 is derived from the FN Model 10, the gun that was used to assassinate Arch Duke Ferdinand.
So your Model 22 is the son of the gun that started World War One.   Bad pun!   ::)

According to the web site, Model 22s can be had for about $300.  If I was going to strip one of those beauties down, I'd want to do it in a sandblasting cabinet.  That way those teeny little springs, and pins and things wouldn't disappear into dark corners of the basement....

Steve

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
re: Man up = PLEASE
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Thanks, Richard; you are very perceptive; however, the all time master of the 5" Zuni rocket was LCDR. T.R. Swartz from VA 76 off the Bonnie Dick. A MIG 17 was on his tail over Kep airfield when he went into a high G barrel roll and quickly converted a 6 o'clock position into a 12 o'clock slot. He took dead aim with iron sights, maybe kicked a little rudder, and sent the Zuni head straight up the tailpipe of the Mig. That happened on May 1, 1967.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:58:04 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
Steve:

That's some good research on the M1922. Here is a link to the "Cruffler" review, if you have not previously seen it:

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-may01.html

Only a relatively few were plated -- most of those being earmarked for Luftwaffe officers, I understand. Once Belgium had fallen to the Nazi invasion in WWII, FN was required to produce the 1922 in great numbers.

The Model 1922 is a striker-fired weapon which I do not consider to be one of John Moses Browning's finer designs -- regardless of the vast numbers produced over the years. The little striker spring and its assembly sit exposed when the slide is removed, and a simple sneeze can send it across the room. I would hate to have to work on the 1922 in field conditions and would be willing to bet that those who did would resort to dunking it in gasoline and then giving it a few squirts of spindle oil rather than going through the fieldstripping and reassembly exercise.

Thank the Lord, Browning did find the time and inspiration to give us the Model 1911 between designing the "10" and tweaking it into the "22"!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:38:13 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"