Author Topic: Proud new owner, need advise  (Read 15764 times)

Offline littleguns

Proud new owner, need advise
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »
I just took the plung. Stealth with sights. It is a good day, however i won't have this gem in my hands until Thursday. The other good new is that I happened accross some 9mm Critical Defense ammo at my local gun shop. Please give me advise on ammo and break in. Ordered some GD 115 gn from Cabelas on sale for 18 bucks a box.    
R9,G19, P85, S&W36, P3AT, LCP, DE ME380, NNA22MAG, NNA22, MK3 22.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Proud new owner, need advise
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
littleguns.  I wouldn't recommend the Hornady Critical Defense at this time.  They had some problems with hard primers on certain lots.  Some here on the Forum have had good results and others have not.

Recommend Winchester Silvertips 115 gr. and Gold Dots 115 gr. as you have ordered.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
Thanks
     You answered my question before I could IM. I did pick up the CD ammo inspite of problems I heard about. The lot number on the boxes where defferent then ones I could remember form dicussions. The stuff is just so dam hard to get. Cabelas 14 week wait. I had some 380's on back order for quite a long while. I learned that Corbon had a special 80 gn 9mm especially made for the R9. But I can't find it. In any case I will give a report once I get this baby to the range.    

Offline littleguns

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
I have delt with getting the gun then the correct ammo (GD, silver tips, CD and WWB for practice. Now researching holters. Ken let me know about Meco holsters, which look like a very nice option. I have carried in a Pager pal, which was great for LCP, Also EZ paddle hide in plain sight holster, and front pocker with a nemeses. All with lighter guns. I would welcome any experience or advise on holsters for CC.
                                                                    Thanks

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:45 PM »
You cant go wrong with a MECO.  The R9 needs nice leather.

Offline littleguns

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
I will order a pocket holster from Meco. Not sure on the wait. I ordered some Hornady one shot lub from cabelas. I understand that is Karls rcommendation. FYI R9s in stock where I bought mine.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:24:16 AM »
littleguns.  I ordered a cross draw from Meco on 4/22/10 and Robert gave me a 10 to 12 week waiting time.  Talked to him about two weeks ago and he said it should be coming up soon.  

The wait time passes very quickly.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline littleguns

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
One question about pocket holster from Meco. Is it large for some front pockets. Utilizing the back pocket holster in front?
Just curious.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
For me, it fits all my front pockets.  Regular long pants for fall and winter, nothing special, and Bermuda shorts in the summer with deep pockets.  I've never bought anything special to wear just to satisfy the holster.  Everything just seemed to fit.  Walmart and K-Mart type Bermuda's.

Offline littleguns

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
Just picked up my Stealth local FFL, Its a beauty. Now off to the range to check it out. WWB, American Eagle, CD, GS and GD. Hoping for a great first experience.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
littleguns, good for you, have fun shooting it.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Just picked up my Stealth local FFL, Its a beauty. Now off to the range to check it out. WWB, American Eagle, CD, GS and GD. Hoping for a great first experience.  

Excellent.  You're going to enjoy the little wonder, for sure!

Offline littleguns

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
Ok now I am getting the hang of it. I have been to the range twice (in  two days). I must say I like the gun very much. However it is a weapon that you must know well. Not a S&W 38 for sure. I tried several different rounds. In total about 200  fired.  noticed the spring was quite compressed during my second cleaning and was replaced. The rounds I used were Hondady Critical defense, WWB 147 Gn HP self defense, american eagle 115 gn and Speer GD. The gun likes what it likes. 50 rounds of WWB HP and 40 rounds Speer GD were Flawless in both sessions. The others had FTF and FTE problems. I am getting some Siver tips delivered soon. I think my round of chose will be the GD for now.
      Was able to get some accuracy at fifty feet. The trigger was very nice and kick was not too bad. Rapid fire was not a problem. In buying this gun I was wanting to replace my Small Revolver using 38 +P. Which I beleive I did. With a smaller stonger package. Very pleased, it sits well in the pocket and can use the LCP holsters I own.    

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
I'm glad that you and your "pup" are getting along as intended.

You state it correctly that the R9 "is a weapon that you must know well." And if I may be permitted to paraphrase an observation once posted by Tracker which I found memorable, the R9 is a gentleman's weapon rather than a plowman's tool.   8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:08:07 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
littleguns.  Excellent that you are getting to know your R9 Stealth.  The right ammo is key, for sure.  Continue to enjoy "getting the hang of it".  It doesn't take long.