Author Topic: Sig or Glock  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Sig or Glock
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »
See if you can arrange to fire them both at a prolonged range session.  If you still can't decide after that, go with the one you find to be better looking gun.   8)  (For me that would be the Sig.)  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
 If you still can't decide after that, go with the one you find to be better looking gun.   8)  (For me that would be the Sig.)  

I really hope that's a joke. i really do...
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 10:16:08 AM »

I really hope that's a joke. i really do...

It would appear that like so many others the gentleman strongly prefers "the Black Guns."  Vive la difference!   :D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 06:49:23 PM »
XD SC  -- I love mine -- just keeps going bang, and quite accurately.  With that bit said, another vote for the sig, unless you just want a gun that you really won't form an attachment to, then the Glock -- it's why I have a couple XDs -- didn't like beating up my nice guns.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 12:31:59 AM »
From the different opinion(s) on this subjest it seems that people are more concerened about how pretty a gun looks then what it is made for, myself I want a Firearm that when needed will be ready and reliable, it is Not like a car that you want people to look at? I just cannot see paying for a Firearm that is No More Reliable then the other (Just because it is pretty). If I was on a Jury I would have some concern about a Person that admires a Gun if he or she was involved in a Shooting.  I am sure there is a reason more Glocks then Sigs are sold in this country and used by Police depts.

Just my 2cents. :)

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 11:32:43 PM »
 I am sure there is a reason more Glocks then Sigs are sold in this country and used by Police depts.

This is an invalid argument. There are several causes including better advertising and marketing schemes, the popularity of Glocks in the Hip-hop community, or even the amount of authorized Glock dealers. It could be any of a multitude of reasons.

However, that being said, I am pro-Glock (having just recently bought a Glock 30) and definately don't understand why a gun that is supposed to save your life needs to look pretty. Although, Glocks do have a bit of their own charm. :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:36:39 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

Offline Salute

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 12:57:34 AM »
As far as weapon functionality. They are both excellent.

Why not confuse yourself alittle more and throw the XD into the equation.

Who cares what people think ?

Put them in your hands, feel them, shoot them. Then you'll know.

If Aesthetics is what you care about:

The Sig says, "Leave me out for people to see. I am a practical work of art and engineering."

The Glock says,  " I really want to shoot the hell out of you."   Make no mistake, yes Glock has a charm of its own.

Good Luck

Salute

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 04:00:52 AM »
If you buy a Glock 30 please consider the "extended slide release lever" and the "pinky grip mag extension".  Both are very cheap and easy to do modifications. I bought both on www.ebay.com  .

Also visit:

http://www.glockmeister.com/

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »
On the how a gun looks topic.  I want both reliability and good looks.  I don't care how decent a gun is supposed to be if it looks bad I won't spend my money on it.  A good example of this are the Kel-Tec's.  They may be good guns but they are butt ugly and I won't own one.  I demand both, Form AND Function.  I guess I am just picky.  Is anyone else out there as demanding as I am?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 07:20:43 PM »
On the how a gun looks topic.  I want both reliability and good looks.  I don't care how decent a gun is supposed to be if it looks bad I won't spend my money on it. * * *  Is anyone else out there as demanding as I am?

You called?   8)

However, the old maxim from the study of aesthetics still governs:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

And thank Heaven for that!  Otherwise, all of the men in the world would be in pursuit of a very few women of the same appearance and mentality; all of the women in the world would be in pursuit of a very few men of the same appearance and mentality; every man and woman in the world would want the same few material goods; and what we know as human civilization would soon descend by its own weight and avarice into a state of totallly descructive anarchy.

The French say it best:  "VIVE LA DIFFÉRENCE."  

Diversity has its problems, though, as demonstrated by a lament once expressed by then French President Charles de Gaulle: “How can you be expected to govern a country that has 246 kinds of cheese?”

;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:16:05 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 01:04:48 PM »
On the how a gun looks topic.  I want both reliability and good looks.  I don't care how decent a gun is supposed to be if it looks bad I won't spend my money on it.
Mike

So, you're telling me that because a gun "has to look good" for you to own it, you wouldn't own a functionally flawless gun just because it didn't have a certain look?

Let's go hypothetical here...

Let's say Kel-tec created a P-x45. Same size as the P-3AT but with 7+1 of .45 ACP that would never malfunction, FTF, etc... and had minimal recoil (ala a .22). You wouldn't purchase one of these "magic guns" because it was ugly? I know I could give a damn about what it looks like, just give me my Cricket (from the movie MIB).

I don't know, maybe its just my opinion, but it doesn't freaking matter what a concealed carry gun looks like! It's concealed! If you're worried about the looks of a gun that no one is supposed to see unless you're about to shoot said person, then you're not really concerned about self-protection. Instead, you're just playing a grown up version of Cowboys and Indians and want a pretty six-shooter.

(Rant off)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:11:20 PM by dfsutton »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »
Emotive stuff some of this ;D

I am a man for functionality and reliability above all else.  
My choices have been on manual of arms, what feels good and what shoots well for me.  Aesthetics are a bonus.

I have shot Glocks and found them more than effective, as well as tolerant of conditions.  That however just does not suit my preferences like the SIG.  The fact that IMO my 226 is ''prettier'' than the Glock is just a nice extra!

My first semi carry was a P95DC - and that fella is plain ''fugly'' in some ways!  It is however dead on accurate and reliable and of course anyways - not many folks got to even see it :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 02:41:52 PM »
dfsutton,

Yes, that was a rant and you seem to be forming opinions about myself and maybe others that could not be founded on firm ground because you do not know me.  

We are human beings and as such "looks" means something.  Do you pick a vehicle solely on it's safety rateing, reliability rateing, resale value?  

As I stated already and I will expand on it, I want Form AND Function.  I like things that work AND look good.  I have other 9mm's that function perfectly but they are to big to carry conceiled(for me).  My 2 R9's also function PERFECTLY although as of now they will only do this with one perticular type of ammo.  I am working on that issue.

But to directly answer your question, correct I don't care how functionally perfect anything is if it is butt ugly I won't buy it.  I will spend my money on something that functions AND looks good.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 03:17:15 PM »
May I say, to each his own.

Offline Salute

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
Agree,  Give The People What They Want !