Author Topic: END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Need help.............it's the end of the world as we know it.......have to bug out.....can take ONE gun and all the ammunition I can carry.....what do I take?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
Re: END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
     HK P7, lots of mags and ammo.         Gene
birdman

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
If no people or animals left, leave the gun, take the cannoli. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »
Although a .22 handgun would permit carrying the most ammunition, I think I would settle on a tactical 12-guage pump shotgun with folding stock and sling. Ammunition would be  2-3/4" shells divided among slugs, 00 Buck, # 4, and # 6 shot. I figure such a rig would be easily enough carried across the back, and the variety of shells would allow one to put meat on the fire as well as provide protection for the bunker (here read "cave"). Meanwhile, I would be busy fashioning an array of primitive tools and weapons, since ammunition would eventually run out, subject to whatever could be . . . "scrounged."

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
I'm thinking something in 5.56.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
Agree with the shotgun.  Unfortunately, most of the civilized members of our society, unprepared/unwilling to revert to the concept of survival of the quickest and most aggressive would, unless ensconced in a hard site with others similarly armed, be viewed by those who could thus adapt as the simple and expendable caretakers of a supply depot.  Still think the cannoli may be the best option.  ;D

ps:  Richard, noticed your patch.  I was 2/78 of the 4th Armored Div. 1970+.  Drove the Healey all through German and Italy while stationed in Bamberg.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
My first thought was a Ruger 10/22 stainless/synthetic.  This is a practically zero maintenance weapon, high capacity magazines are available and one could pack a ton of ammo.  Although it’s a great little survival rifle, it may not pack the punch for larger game.  My first thoughts are based on survival though and not on defense.  So, if defense is part of the equation, I’m now thinking a Mini-14 stainless/synthetic.  Very light weight, extremely reliable, and virtually maintenance free.  It would be a good standoff weapon as well as decent enough for deer sized game.  But I think Richard is onto something with the shotgun idea.  I recently ordered a Blackhawk 12ga bandoleer that holds 55 rounds, could pack a lot of ammo with a number of those bandoleers.  A good tactile shotgun just may be the way to go.  But, as Richard says, best start fabricating some primitive weapons, brush up on traps and snares, and be ready to dig in. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
I will also have to agree with the shotgun, between shot and slugs very versatile and a 12ga slug packs a hell of a wallop. Wth proper placement a 12 ga slug will probably bring down any game in North America and any Zombie. ;D
  There is a host of exotic and super lethal ammo available for the 12 gauge.

Here are a few and some are pretty scary. :o

12 GAUGE FIREBALL
FIREBALL PRODUCES AN ENORMOUS WALL OF FIRE AND SPARKS FOR 250+ FEET!  THE INCENDIARY METAL CONTAINED INSIDE BURNS AT OVER 3000 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT WHEN FIRED, SHOWERING YOUR TARGET IN A MOMENTARY WALL OF FIRE.  HAS BEEN USED BY U.S. FORESTRY TO START BACKFIRES AND POLICE SWAT TEAMS FOR DIVERSIONARY TACTICS.  WARNING: EXTREME FIRE HAZARD!!!  (COMPARES TO DRAGON'S BREATH).   CAUTION MUST BE EXERCISED WHEN FIRING THESE ROUNDS TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL BRUSH FIRES.  IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THEY BE USED AT AN APPROVED FIRING RANGE.  CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS CONCERNING LAWFUL FIRING OF THIS AMMUNITION.
HV-0610                                                   $19.95/PKG OF 3

12 GAUGE ROAD BLOCKER
THIS CARTRIDGE CONTAINS A HARDENED PROJECTILE  THAT WILL IMMOBILIZE A FLEEING VEHICLE. WILL PUNCTURE TIRES AND CRITICAL PORTIONS OF AN ENGINE BLOCK. MANY USES BY LAW ENFORCEMENT ESPECIALLY AT ROAD BLOCKS.
HV-0616                                                    $17.95/ PKG. OF 3

12 GAUGE HIGH ALTITUDE WHITE FLARE
THESE FLARES WILL RISE TO AN ALTITUDE OF WELL OVER 300 FEET WHEN FIRED AT A 70 DEGREE ANGLE, IN WHICH A SINGLE STAR IS RELEASED AND WILL BURN FOR APPROXIMATELY SIX TO SEVEN SECONDS.  THESE ARE IDEAL FOR CAMPERS IN THE WOODS OR ON BOATS TO SIGNAL FOR ASSISTANCE.  CAUTION:  FIRE HAZARD.
HV-0620                                                   $9.95/PKG OF 3

12 GAUGE FLECHETTE
A FLECHETTE IS A 1  INCH DART SHAPED PROJECTILE FOR USE IN TAKING OUT SNIPERS HIDING IN THICK BRUSH OR TREES.  DUE TO THE PENETRATION OF THESE PROJECTILES, TREE LIMBS AND BRUSH WILL NOT DISPERSE THE DARTS AS READILY AS ROUND SHOT. THEY WILL GIVE AN ALL COVERING PATTERN WITHIN TREES OR BRUSH.  NOT INTENDED FOR HUNTING.  THESE WERE UTILIZED DURING THE VIET-NAM ERA, OFTEN REFERRED TO AS THE "BEEHIVE" ROUND.
HV-0615                                                   $14.95/PKG OF 3

12 GAUGE BOLO ROUNDS
THIS ROUND IS LOADED WITH TWO LEAD BALLS TIED TOGETHER WITH A 5  INCH FLEXIBLE STEEL WIRE.  BEST USED FOR LONG-RANGE DEFENSE.
HV-0621                                                   $14.95/PKG OF 3

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
* * * ps:  Richard, noticed your patch.  I was 2/78 of the 4th Armored Div. 1970+.  Drove the Healey all through German and Italy while stationed in Bamberg.

John:

It would appear that you were with the 2/78 during the time the 4th AD had its colors furled and was folded into the 1st AD.  Your predecessors in the 2/78 gave me a good bit of of "business" during my time as 4th AD Chief of Military Justice.  (There just seemed to be something about you Artillery types up there in Bamberg . . . .   8) )

You mention your Healey. This is what I used to drive on the same roads a few years earlier -- not the fastest thing on the Autobahn or Autostrade by any means, but a rather passable little "Fräulein  Magnet":

______

(At least we thought we had a mission back then in that place.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:41:15 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
Good info Yank...didn't realize one could still purchase flechette loaded rounds...I do have several pounds of the fin stabilized nails in the event I ever had to build some up.  I like the sounds of the bolo's too...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Here is a link to the site that sells it.

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__25/catalog__25.html
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Oh my John, you may have just cost me a lot of $$$....they have a lot of neat stuff.  Too bad they don't have an Anarchist Cookbook... 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, AT; the neat stuff and all.  Some of this seems like it produces a great amount of power; the more power, the better; now back to seeing what to order.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »
KJ,
They have got some "must have" items that I would think is just a matter of time and we won't be able to get anymore.....that's my excuse for ordering at least.   ;D
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
AT.  That seems like a good enough reason to order; I'll do the same.  Certainly don't want to miss out!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln