Author Topic: The two new models  (Read 10578 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: The two new models
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 11:51:34 AM »
George
You are right, compromise is a hard choice sometimes.  And sometimes a compromise is not the best choice.  For I would not call the 32 Guardian / 380 Guardian a good compromise, the size growing with the caliber step up.  But with the Rohrbaugh,  R9 / R380,  a size down on weight, dimension,  caliber, and recoil,  that's my idea of a good compromise..
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 04:29:14 AM »
Hi Mich...

I live in St Clair Shores, which is in Macomb County. The island is next door in St Clair County. So yea, I live closer.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 04:55:15 AM »
Hi RJ:

The beauty of the NAA Guardian series is their ability to be customized to the needs of each user.

As to compromises: I like the NAA G 32 better than the Seecamp 32, but I like the Seecamp 380 better than the G 380. For me size is more important than weight, but weight is important enough where I would take the Seecamp 380 over the G380. But, I would take the G 380 over Kel Tec any day.

Rohrbaugh's eye toward quality is unreal. If they could build a Seecamp 380 clone with a machined forged alloy frame, and ditch the mag safety, they would have a single platform that would have world wide appeal. It would also give Seecamp a run for its money and force Larry to bring his genius to work.

As to the current Rohrbaugh platform, an all steel version and a 22 LR version would be nice. Not everyone can afford a Rolls. The all steel version would allow individuals with a limited budget to enjoy the small platform, and allow people like me with a nice training gun. The 22 would provide a nice training platform.

As to the US market, a Rohrbaugh 380 would be a mistake. The platform is too large to be truely competitive. But it would be excellent for export.

I'm interested in NAA's effort to reduce the weight of its Guardian series. I also think that a 32 H&R mag mini revolver would sell like hot cakes.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 07:41:43 AM »
George,
I'm wondering why you think an all steel version of the R9 would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than the current version?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 11:40:47 AM »
[size=13] I also think that a 32 H&R mag mini revolver would sell like hot cakes.[/size]

I have the NAA mini in .22 WMR but would buy a .32 mag in a heartbeat if they did make one!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 12:10:20 PM »
George,

Whoops,  I was way off in my geography!  Sorry about that.

It was many years ago.

Bill

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
Hi Harry:

Look at the marketplace. All steel guns appear to be 25-30% cheaper to produce than alloy based guns.

Offline Bob79

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 12:50:14 PM »
Rohrbaugh seems to me to be in the business of making pistols for self defense, and not for "training".  I can't see them making a pistol in .22 caliber, as I know a .22 can stop a threat, its certainly a really poor choice for it.  I think it would be silly to make a .22, and if they did they would most likely lose money on the venture.  

I think a .380 caliber pistol being the same size/weight of the R9 would do better in sales/usefullness, if it were designed to be smaller and lighter.  But it would be a decent pistol even if they kept it the same size, the NAA .380 sells and that thing unloaded weighs 18 ozs.  

Also all steel???  Again the R9 was designed from step 1 to be a compact, cocealable, powerful pistol, and I think Rourbaugh will continue with making this style of pistol.  If you make it all steel, it makes the gun much more heavy and less concealable.  The seecamp for being tiny in size is a good example because even though 11.5 ozs isn't very heavy in general, for its small size it is heavy.  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »
I'll be very disappointed if they don't make a .380 Auto kit for the R9.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2005, 12:26:58 AM »
Hi Bob:

The elements of marksmanship are the same whether you shoot a 44 mag or a 22. A 22 training pistol allows someone to practice inexpensively within the same platform.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 09:34:21 AM »
Also all steel???  Again the R9 was designed from step 1 to be a compact, cocealable, powerful pistol, and I think Rourbaugh will continue with making this style of pistol.  If you make it all steel, it makes the gun much more heavy and less concealable.  The seecamp for being tiny in size is a good example because even though 11.5 ozs isn't very heavy in general, for its small size it is heavy.  
An all steel gun would still be the same size and the added weight would help cushion the recoil making the gun more pleasant to shoot and maybe even be able to handle +P ammo which is more effective for self defensive purposes.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »
Why mess with perfection?  I think the Rohrbaugh brothers got things just right!  The R9 filled a void in pocket pistols.  Other suitable guns exist in .32, and .380 -- I don't see how it would be a good business decision for Rohrbaugh to introduce those offerings.  If they want to produce a similar gun for European use, they can follow the path of other manufacturers by extending the case to 9x21. Identical ballistics, just a longer case to comply with the non-use of military chamberings in som European countries.

Like the recent rumors of HK re-introducing the P7 pistols in a polymer frame version...yuck.  I'll keep an open mind and wait to see/hold one.  But it would need to be something really special to replace my P7, P7M8, P7M13 or P7M10.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2005, 11:10:10 AM »
Fly, you have got it nailed. They have the perfect gun in the R9.     Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Bob79

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 04:29:27 PM »
George-Yeah I understand that a .22 would be nice for target shooting, and you use the same fundamentals whether you're shooting a .22 or 10MM.  But again, they aren't going to make a .22 target pistol for you and the other 3 guys that want one.

Fudster-Yeah I know a heavier gun would soak up more recoil.  If the Rohrbaughs had light recoil high up on the priority list, then they would have used all steel.  They did not use all steel because lighter weight is important in concealed carry gun.  Heck its pretty important to have lighter weight guns in general for a lot of manufacturers, look at the huge explosion in polymer frames in the last decade.  

I see now that a lot of this post is wishful thinking, which is fine, but I thought most people were trying to focus on guns the Rohrbaugh might actually produce.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 04:31:17 PM by Bob79 »

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 08:57:03 PM »
Fudster-Yeah I know a heavier gun would soak up more recoil.  If the Rohrbaughs had light recoil high up on the priority list, then they would have used all steel.  They did not use all steel because lighter weight is important in concealed carry gun.  Heck its pretty important to have lighter weight guns in general for a lot of manufacturers, look at the huge explosion in polymer frames in the last decade.
I own a 12oz Smith & Wesson alloy/ titanium 342 revolver and a 24oz all-steel Taurus revolver. Guess which one gets carried more.

I see now that a lot of this post is wishful thinking, which is fine, but I thought most people were trying to focus on guns the Rohrbaugh might actually produce.
Eric and I have discussed the possibility of an all-steel model and he pretty much told me the same thing that you mentioned above. But it WAS discussed and I'm hoping that it MIGHT become a reality.