Author Topic: The two new models  (Read 10584 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: The two new models
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2005, 12:25:22 AM »
Hi Bob:

I take it from your post that practice is not as big a priority to you as it is to me. But, a 22 practice pistol identical to a person's carry gun would permit an individual to train more. I believe in training. A 22 is an excellent training tool.

From a business point of view, a manufacturer likes to spin off products based on an established platform. It allows products to go to market with less R&D costs. Granted all steel guns are heavy, but look at Kahr. Not only did they keep their all steel guns, they came up with an even lower cost version to expand their market penetration.

We have to understand, that a lot of people simply can't buy a $1,000 pocket pistol. It would make sense to offer those folks a product that they can afford.

I want to see clone wars. I want to see competition. But I want to see Rohrbaugh thrive. To thrive they need products in the marketplace, not just drawings or ideas on a table.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:32:15 AM by GeorgeH »

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 01:34:23 PM »
I have to say I think the R9 is pretty much perfect the way it is.  If I want a bigger gun, I'll go to my HK P2000 or a 1911.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 01:59:02 PM »
Slowhand,
Good choice of heavier artillery.  I have a H&K USP 40 which is too big for me to conceal.  Bought a Sig P239 which is concealable but still a bit uncomfortable to carry. (I know, Clint Smith says a carry gun doesn't have to be comfortable - just comforting.)  My R9S is just about the ideal compromise of size, weight & power for me.

Last night I stopped by the local gunshop to replenish my supply of Speer GDHP ammo.  I usually deal with the owner's son, but last night the owner himself was on the counter.  We got to chatting.  It turns out he is a retired police officer.  He asked to see my R9S and then showed me how easy it is to conceal the pup in your hand.  He palmed the gun & turned his back to me with his hands raised.  I couldn't see any of the gun in his hand.  He related how his department made suspects face the officer with their hands open to make sure they were unarmed.  He said in his day they didn't have to worry about full-power guns in mouse gun size.

Then he promised someday to show me some .380 ACP handloads he made up with Blue Dot powder and a magic bullet that isn't made anymore.  "That round is as destructive as a hollowpoint .357 Magnum."  Sure.....   ;)

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2005, 03:42:45 PM »
Slater- Thanks!  You might like the P2000, it's more the size of a USP Compact.  It's very concealable, even under light clothing.  Mine is in 9mm, and I use it as my summer gun.  I used to use a LW Commander in that role, but it was a tough gun to get good with.  I found I was able to shoot the P2000 just about twice as fast as the LWC in any given situation.  Plus, given most light summer clothing, I felt the 9mm was fine (124 gr +P Gold Dots).  As soon as the weather cools off (under 80 F), I'll switch back to my Govt Model, which I usually stoke with 230gr Golden Sabers.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »
The R9s was designed as a bug gun or hide out, deep cover carry gun. In that role it is perfect. Why change it.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline itguy

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2005, 06:03:23 PM »
Right-on Tom!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2005, 08:03:48 PM »
[size=13]The R9s was designed as a bug gun or hide out, deep cover carry gun. In that role it is perfect. Why change it.[/size]

Tom - I also agree - in as much as, if the pup does not cut it for a given application then something else will. :)

The R9, is the R9 - is the R9  ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2005, 08:03:34 AM »
The R9s was designed as a bug gun or hide out, deep cover carry gun. In that role it is perfect. Why change it.
Tom
They're not changing it. They're adding two new models (according to our source), apparently in an effort to gain more customers. Not a bad idea for the survival of the company.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:12:58 AM by harrydog »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2005, 01:07:11 PM »
I'll drink to that!!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mefly2

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2005, 12:03:36 AM »
The older Speeer manuals have some superb loads for both 9mm and 380ACP utilizing Blue Dot powder.  One bonus that I've found is that the powder is nearly always totally consumed and leaves very little fouling!
mefly2

Offline konrad

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »
I would like to see a mini .22 auto along the lines of the FTl auto nine
It held 9 rds in a unique magizine design in a pistol smaller than a baby browning. Rohrbaugh can make it nice

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2005, 12:11:30 AM »
konrad - chipping in, for no other reason than to say Hi and welcome to you :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2005, 05:28:06 AM »
Tom
Because a "beef'ed" up model that can handle a steady diet of +P would be desirable. Even if they went up in size to that of a Pocket Nine / PPK, it would still be a good size for a BUG.

I would carry it most of the time and drop down to the R9 when I needed DEEPER concealment.

Offline HiCap

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2005, 09:24:03 PM »
Problem with a beefed up Rohrbaugh to handle +P's is that you can buy a Kahr that is 1/8th of an inch larger in most dimensions that will handle the +P for less money.  WHat's the point?

HiCap

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2005, 10:31:46 PM »
I owned a Kahr MK9. Didn't like it for two reasons: (1) It lacked a repeat striker capability -- the R9 has it. (2) The R9 has an external hammer -- the MK9 is internally striker fired.