Author Topic: Second time with my new R9s - problems!  (Read 10804 times)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Second time with my new R9s - problems!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »
Now, that's a new one and probaly the most bizarre
failure I have heard yet.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »
I am still trying to work out how the heck that could have happened!! >:(
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 04:31:13 PM »
Is the guide rod MIM by any chance?

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 07:26:01 PM »
I forgot who asked, but NO my thumbs not ridin the slide. Thats one of the reasons I like the R-9. ( its grip angle has a high bore axis so my fairly big hands dont get in the way of the slide).  I consider the thumb drags to be up thier with limp-wristing, ( often overdone) but its an obvious thing to check and rule out so thanks for the input.

Now the guide-rod thing scares me. Ive never heard of it before either but I do know on occasions when reassembling my R-9 ive heard a distinct cracking tink like noise I attributed to the recoil spring assembly (guide rod included) snapping into place when I rack the slide. It only does it once, then its not an issue and I know if the assemblys not in thier perfect, the slide wont go on. Hope its not a matter of time before I have the same misfortune but Im VERY interested to see what "the brothers" say about it. Guinness dog thank-you for posting and for biting the bullet and sending it back! Im too cheap to have done it myself thus far, but i dont blame you. If your gun is fixed or replaced to satisfaction then I will follow suit. PLEASE keep us posted!

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
Almost forgot! The grip screws: I recall the owners manual saying the grip screws must be securely fastend or problems may occur. I think this probably means with regard to trigger function, ( when I removed mine for inspection the trigger and assembly fell apart in my hands! What a fun time I had putting everything back together!) But I kinda doubt it would cause reliabilty/feed issues UNLESS of course the grips are shifting in my hand in effect absorbing recoil in an odd limpwrist type way. Anyway Im reluctant to use lock-tite (shouldnt have to! >:() because I want to be able to remove the grip if need be for repairs, etc.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 09:16:26 PM »
The only area where I could see a failure occurring in guide rod section is where the inner guide rod is threaded into the stub coming off rear spring stop disk.  (The thin part around which is the smaller spring.)  It is hard to even see where these two parts mate up and they are not meant to be undone by us.

No MIM in this gun - everything is machined.

The noise you hear Capt is I very much suspect the final re-alignment of the assembly within the complete gun - it has to seat intimately within the machined clearance in the frame - and a small error on reassembly (easily done - just a thou or two) would I believe allow this to occur.  The key thing you mention is ''it only happens once'' :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »
You can use "removable lock-tite".  There are several.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
ok., im goin to the hardware store! dont those require heat to remove?

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2006, 07:52:18 PM »
If you call Rohrbaugh, they'll give you the proper spec loctite to purchase -- it's one you have to order from a company which carries loctites industrial line -- it's a VERY low strength loctite -- fortunately, a bottle should last a life time, and it's cheap.  If you search on here, I posted the item number once.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Bugsy

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »
I had problems very similar to those described here.  After two trips back to the factory and after trying every possible kind of ammo, grip and lubrication regimen I gave up and sold it.  It may be a good gun for some but not for me.  Incidentally, I own other small guns (P3AT, PM9) and don't have any problems.  I don't think its me
that's the problem.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »
Welcome to both Guinness and Capt,
I have friends who own Rock River 1911s, very good and expensive 1911s, in both .45acp and .38 super. Both guns ran bad until about 500 rounds and then shot great. My thoughts are this: a very expensive gun does not always mean it will always run well. Some guns need to be shot in. Ammo differences could also present problems, even within lots. A very small detail within the gun could also keep it from running. I would not shoot more than 50 rounds during a range test. Also it seems both you guys bought refurbed guns from the same dealer, could that enter into the mix? I very much hope your problems will iron out and you both will be happy and carry the pup. Returning the pups to Rohrbaugh is always an option. Good luck. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:18 PM »
Mines improved considerably but still not were it should be. Ill keep trying but I gotta tell ya, Ive heard MANY negative reports both here and on other forums. If I had to do it over again knowing and seeing all this....I dont know. Refurb or not!

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »
Welcome to both Guinness and Capt,
I have friends who own Rock River 1911s, very good and expensive 1911s, in both .45acp and .38 super. Both guns ran bad until about 500 rounds and then shot great. My thoughts are this: a very expensive gun does not always mean it will always run well. Some guns need to be shot in. Ammo differences could also present problems, even within lots. A very small detail within the gun could also keep it from running. I would not shoot more than 50 rounds during a range test. Also it seems both you guys bought refurbed guns from the same dealer, could that enter into the mix? I very much hope your problems will iron out and you both will be happy and carry the pup. Returning the pups to Rohrbaugh is always an option. Good luck. Tom

Tom - interesting you mention that.  I just got a new Kimber 1911 with an aluminmun frame.   A gun with a great reputation.  Directions say the gun needs a 500 round break in with ball ammo.  After that they say that the most reliability is still with ball ammo.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:30:22 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
Dave, I always thought that guns needed to be shot some so that the parts could mate and work well. i hope you are doing well and all your parts are working. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »
Mines improved considerably but still not were it should be. Ill keep trying but I gotta tell ya, Ive heard MANY negative reports both here and on other forums. If I had to do it over again knowing and seeing all this....I dont know. Refurb or not!

Hi Capt.

I'm glad that you keep trying to work it out - maybe it is time you tried to send it back and see if that solves your problems if you still are not satisfied.  I personally have never for many years bought a refurb or used gun.  The only way I would consider a used gun if I knew the seller.  

All gun brands have their lemons and those that get these lemons trade them in or sell them if they can't get it resolved.  I'm not one willing to take the chance of rebuying it.  

As far as a refurb you think it would be ok and it should.   My mind says it started out as a lemon and that would stop me.  It is not just guns - I never buy a factory refurb of any product - but that is just me.

Besides the fact that this gun for some reason is shooter senitive I feel bad for those that get them that they don't work.  Whether it is because for them it is shooter senitive, or they are shooting the wrong ammo, or needs more break in time, or is just a lemon.  The vast majority work fine - same for Kimber, Glock, S&W, Ruger, Wilsons, and etc., etc., etc.

You can find stories on any forum of brand problems.  When you say that you have heard "many negative reports on this forum" I would have to highly disagree.  If that were true I would not still be here.  You are focusing in on a few threads.  Go back to the beginning and read the threads -good if you nothing to do for a few weeks.  Then take the percent of negative reports to postive - in percent the negative would be very, very, very, very, small.

The vast majority I know have no problems with the R9.  I have said this before - I have two and could not be happier.  May even buy a third when the Stealth comes out.

I have also said before - if I only had one R9 and it was impossible by any means to get another  ever - you would have a hard time buying it from me.   In that situation even for a few thousand more than I paid for it  I would be resistant unless I really needed the money for every day living.  That time isn't here yet.

I would say to anyone - if you bought a R9 - tried everything and it doesn't work for you - than get rid of it and move on - I would have, just like I did for my malfunctioning Colt, keltec, glock, and etc. over the years.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 02:44:50 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."