Author Topic: Anyone ever have to use their R9 for self defense?  (Read 10679 times)

Offline epkptp

• Expert
Anyone ever have to use their R9 for self defense?
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
This is the smallest gun I've ever owned.  Easily the best carry gun I've ever had as far as comfort/concealability goes.  But I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of having to use it someday in self-defense.  

I'm curious if anyone here has actually had to pull their R9 out or has fired it in a self-defense situation.  I feel like someone would just laugh if they saw this thing.  ;D

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone ever have to use their R9 for self defe
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »

That would not be a very long laugh.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
Yep!  Have to agree.  They may not get a chance to laugh.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
Yes. No one laughed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline epkptp

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »
Yes. No one laughed.

I wanna hear more about this!  8)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
Me, too!    ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
I wouldn't laugh at an NAA 22 pointed at me.
   I had to pull my pup on a renegade squirrel once and he didn't laugh, and he didn't survive either.  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
If my gun ever comes out of its holster in a self defense situation it would only be because I truly fear for my life and safety and see no other choice but to defend myself with lethal force.

I would not be considering visual intimidation as a deterrent - I would only be concerned with stopping the threat; I believe the R9 is a very effective threat stopper. I don't believe there would be much time for my would-be assailant(s) to laugh.

I too would like to hear more Richard ...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »

I wanna hear more about this!  8)

The precise details are not important. Suffice it to say that the occasion justified taking the R9 to hand, and no one laughed -- neither I nor any of the drunken and/or drugged SOBs who professed to have some inappropriate designs regarding the beautiful lady to whom I have the honor to be married and the rather expensive automobile in which we were parked. These clowns muttered a few expletives which impugned my ancestral heritage, apparently remembered that they had other business elsewhere, and careened off down the mountain in their smoke-belching "klunker."

In about seven decades of life, during which I have been in one so-called "cold war" ("cold" like Hell), one "peoples' revolution," one "civil war," and one "military coup," I have learned from both ends of the muzzle that the sight of a 9mm pointed at one's center mass tends to focus one's mind -- perhaps not as acutely as a .45 ACP or a .50 AE would do, but very much focused on the aperture itself and not on the size of the weapon behind the muzzle. When pointed directly at you, the aperture of a 9mm looks very, very large. Anyone who would laugh under those circumstances would either be a fool, or have a death wish . . . or both.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline epkptp

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
I feel better about my little R9S already!  ;D

Offline TBI

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »
No one has that good of a sense of humor.  If they laughed I would really be glad I had my R9S!!

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Richard described the encounter very well, indeed. There is nothing quite like an eloquent voice of experience. This subject came up recently in a CHL class. I asked a question about drawing but not firing on an imminent threat situation. The consensus was to stop the threat, whatever it takes. A predetermined decision to fire when drawing a weapon may not be the wisest choice if the attacker does a 180. The class instructor asked us what course of action we should take if the "perp" cuts and runs--the answer was to call 911, the practical reason being the attacker may also call to report the incident. Depending on the situation, calling 911 may not be necessary.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:45:27 PM by tracker »

Offline TBI

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
Thanks Tracker!

Offline Marshbrook

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Learn something everyday....thanks!

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:57:12 AM »
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

If you carry your R9 for self defense you might want to belong to this group.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:01:59 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety