Author Topic: Is the Warranty worth buying New?  (Read 4639 times)

Offline anselmgrey

Is the Warranty worth buying New?
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
It seems that the biggest criticism for the R9 is the price. If I buy one used to save $, is the warranty is transferable? If not, how much is this warranty worth? (i.e. how much do I need to save off of retail to make it worth losing the warranty)?

Don

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
Re: Is the Warranty worth buying New?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »
Basically the warranty is non-transferable.  As the new owner of a used Rohrbaugh you can buy a warranty for $150 (so the warranty is worth $150).

The quote below from another thread possibly explains things a little better:

New guns come with a blank warranty card with just the serial number on it - whoever fills it out and sends it in gets the non-transferable lifetime warranty. Sometimes you can buy a second-hand R9 with a blank card and send it in and you will get the warranty - so look for that.

You can also buy a warranty if you get a used gun. I believe they charge $150 and you have to send the gun in and they will go through it and often replace and update things (warning - think twice before sending a rare early Farmingdale in for rewarranty if the gun does not have any major problems.)

You can also get a used gun and only purchase the warranty in the rare chance you have a problem - this is what I would do as these are really well made guns  and you are unlikely to have a problem. Best of luck.

-Ryan
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:08:30 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
All that I might add to the comments of Will and Ryan, above, is that I am the owner of one of those early Farmingdales mentioned by Ryan, have used it for EDC since May 2004, and have never experienced any problem whatsoever with it.  I just gave the piece its regular clean and lube and still marvel at the precision of its construction and the elegance of its design.

Get yourself one!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline anselmgrey

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Thanks. So in sum, dont send the warranty card in unless you have a problem. Were Farmingdales made better?

Offline anselmgrey

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »
After an hour of reading I found my answer:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=4916.0

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »

What is your conclusion?

Offline anselmgrey

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
My conclusion? Well, from this thread it seems to be that the earlier models are in some sense more desireable to the collector. But that does not mean that they are a higher quality or necessisarily more relayable, the newer models have not suffered from any corner cutting over the years. It doesnt take long on this forum to see that some guys have got it bad for the Rohrbaugh and feel the need to own it in every version ever made (or at least in some of the rarer ones), but for those who plan to carry and shoot it, I see no real advantage of the Farmies over those made in Deer Park- am I missing something?

Don

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

No, you're not missing anything. If I were going to buy another R9 it would be factory new.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
When I bought my first R9 (which was a disaster), there were 4 or 5 of us posting here who were trying to get there R9's to work.  It seemed everyone here was on a first name basis with Maria trying to solve problems.  You hardly ever hear anyone talk about her any more on this forum.

My totally subjective conclusion is that Rohrbaugh is probably manufacturing a much more reliable product today than 3.5 years ago based on the number of problems I hear about on this forum.

What is everyone else's opinion?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:40:36 PM by MRC »

Offline anselmgrey

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
And that is one of the reasons that I bought a Rohrbaugh rather than a Boberg. It is yet to be seen what bugs are inherent to the innovative design of the Boberg, but the Rohrbaugh is proven itself reliable with proper feeding and care.

Don

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
I own and highly value an early "Farmingdale" R9. It has been my EDC since May 2004 and has shown no vices. However, there have been some upgrades in the R9 based on experience over the years -- thickening of an area in the rear of the slide, strengthening of the barrel-pin locking mechanism, closing of both ends of the main recoil spring, etc. When it was first introduced in 2004, the R9 was, in my opinion, the finest pocket pistol ever designed. With its upgrades, it remains so in my opinion.

Therefore, while I fully expect to carry my "Farmingdale" with me to Valhalla, if I were buying one of the R9s today I would opt for a new one. And you can count on the Brothers R to continue producing the finest pocket pistols on this third rock from the sun.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
I own and highly value an early "Farmingdale" R9. It has been my EDC since May 2004 and has shown no vices. However, there have been some upgrades in the R9 based on experience over the years -- thickening of an area in the rear of the slide, strengthening of the barrel-pin locking mechanism, closing of both ends of the main recoil spring, etc. When it was first introduced in 2004, the R9 was, in my opinion, the finest pocket pistol ever designed. With its upgrades, it remains so in my opinion.

Therefore, while I fully expect to carry my "Farmingdale" with me to Valhalla, if I were buying one of the R9s today I would opt for a new one. And you can count on the Brothers R to continue producing the finest pocket pistols on this third rock from the sun.
I bought my first R9 in 2004. I can't remember any other small pocket 9mm autos in that time period. Can you? Today most companies have pocket and compact 9s. I still think Rohrbaugh is the smallest and best available. It is a gun for experienced shooters.  JMO ;)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »

The lead dog has the best view.