Author Topic: Rohrbaugh number order rarity?  (Read 10320 times)

Offline tattoo

• Master
Rohrbaugh number order rarity?
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »
In order which r9s are the rarest? Variant wise? Coyotes?eliets?stealths?2 tones?coverts? I am sure u am missing a few.  Thanks in advance.  Mickey

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
Re: Rohrbaugh number order rarity?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Most Rare?   The ones that have only been test fired @ the factory.    Most love to shoot them.    I read some threads on this forum about production amounts of the R9 & 380. May have to do a search with help from other forum members.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:44:35 PM by mannylinda »

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
Anyone please help me..

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
Hello Tattoo. . . . .

Tough to really say exactly how many of each model was produced at this point. We had our Standard (Base) Two-Tone model, The Stealth, The Elite, The Elite Premium, The Coyote (very rare) a.k.a. The Desert Storm Model and a few one-off customs that I would come up with when bored and offer those to a few of our high volume dealers to showcase and sell. That all said, I would put the breakdown something like this, starting with the most popular and ending up with one-off models.

Keep in mind I no longer have any records of this but going from memory. The exact figures for the standards and stealth are going to be simply: Thousands. . . . . The others I can do much better at guessing a number:

Standard Two-Tone (Base) Model:   Thousands

Stealth Model:   Thousands

Special Forces Model:  Approx. 70 - 80 or so

Stealth Elite Model:  approx.  50 - 70 or so

The Robar/Rohrbaugh Model:   35 to 45 or so. (Special note: I did make a matching pair for a doctor friend of mine. His was a 9mm and his wife's was made in .380ACP. . . . . so there is one official Rohrbaugh manufactured Robar/Rohrbaugh in .380 caliber out there. . . . . they moved down south and I did not stay in contact with them!)

R9 Tribute: (Last special model we ever made really):  About 35 - 40 or so

The Elite Premium Model:   16  (Definite count here as they were serialized:  1 of 16, 2 of 16, 3 of 16, etc.) and we did not build extras either.  :-(

Coyote Model:  Very Rare at around 7 or 8 made

One-Off Models:   Somewhere around 8 to 10 or so

The Covert Model:  This is an interesting R9 as it was never a factory Rohrbaugh R9 model, but rather a Standard Two-Tone R9 Model sent to Arego’s Guns in Hot Springs, Arkansas and they sent batches of them to Wilson Combat for their treatment. We ended up warrantying those firearms even though we did not do the custom work on them. . . . Not a fair deal on our end, but “we did what was right for the R9 owner” and covered the repairs when needed at no charge.  ;-)

Should I remember any other odd models, I will let you know.

I hope this information helps you and others. 

Regards to All,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

NOTE:  This list is being updated as information comes in, so if you do not see a model mentioned here, please mention it to jog my memory!

Most recent update as of July 28, 2015:     The addition of The Special Forces Model and a correction on my regular Elite Model count. . . . yes, it was a typo error on my part that a forum member caught. Sorry about that. Also, as I think about our production runs, some numbers are beginning to come back to me a little bit better, so I also updated the count for The Tribute Model, upping it by about ten pieces. Keep working with me folks, a mind is a terrible thing to waste!  lol.  Enjoy the day!  ecr
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:01:36 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
Tribute?? ( I know of at least one.)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
Ah yeeeeees . . . . . . . The R9 Tribute. That was really the last special design R9 model we ever made. Karl and I really liked that one too!

I just updated the list above. Tough getting old. . . . ya start to forget things.  lol    ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
ECR:   Thank You Thank You  for taking your dream to reality. I would like to hear, at your convenience when the R9/380  idea was born. I am sure their were many struggles along the way. Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:26:04 PM by mannylinda »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
You are welcome mannylinda. Our father was a firearms instructor of the Colt .45 handgun and the Thompson 45 sub-machine gun at Hickam Field in Hawaii when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Dad showed us how to shoot in the early 1960s and we have had "the bug" every since! Dad would have been proud to see this dream come true, luckily, our mother is still here and she saw it happen and is so proud. She even would come to the shop to help build sub-assemblies for the R9, which included installing the hammer strut to the hammer in a jig on one of the workbenches. Truly a family business it was. . . . . . The best thing in our lives for me besides playing Radio City Music Hall years ago. Ah. . . . Memories are great, aren't they!   ;)

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »
So this is really a MOTHER of a gun!!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
ha ha ha . . . . . .    ;D     yes manny. . . it truly is. . . . . I do miss making them every so often though. . . but I must say I am enjoying my retirement now, especially having returned to the arts of music composition again. Very fulfilling.   ;)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
How about the Robar?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »
Wow. . . . . Good thing we have enthusiasts around!  :-\  lol.  Yes, Robbie Barkmann of Robar fame met us at the first S.H.O.T. Show we were at just post 9/11 in January of 2002. He had a booth at the end of an isle and we were the first booth in the isle right alongside his. Robbie came over, introduced himself to me and pointed to his booth and said: "I like the way you spell yours better."  and we were friends since then. A very very nice man. Ahhhh. . . The Robar/Rohrbaugh Model. We did a few of those for sure. . . . . I would put those somewhere around the 35 to 45 number. I'll have to correct the list once again.  Thank you. . . . and let's keep 'em coming folks!   ;D

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
 ECR-How many Elites? ( Is the Elite Premium the same as the Elite? ). I think that there were some Special Forces too?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:56:49 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 05:51:04 PM »
Thanks Eric for taking the time....went to go pick up an elite today and someone out of state bought it hours before I got there....needless to say I was SICK.....

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
It would be so nice if we had a thread that showed pics of each model....if someone has something ou of the norm please post pictures for us pup lovers...