Author Topic: Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)  (Read 4892 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
Finally got to a covid/riot/election panic show in Pasadena a suburb of Houston on Sunday.

I had a few reports from a friend at the collectors show across town, which was dead on Saturday.

It was a Premiere promoted show, more for the general public than the serious gun collector.

Got there 10 minutes before opening, line out the door, around the front and 50 yards off the back of the building. Friendly crowd that was happy it was not hot.  Very few folks bringing guns in to sell, only saw a few rifles in the line, one an AR in an off caliber, rest was either a hunting rifle or a .22.  Normally there is a good group of folks wanting to sell stuff in the lobby and by the doors.  Not today.  Guessing 60% wearing masks outside.  (95% once inside) Line moved as fast as they could take the money once they opened.  No limits on number of folks inside.

Quickly walked the show and talked to a few vendors I know.  Saturday had been busy and everyone made money.  No moderately priced ARs, everything $850 and up, when you saw one.  Handguns that are popular self defensive or concealed carry orientated were priced way over MSRP.  Only saw a couple of AKs, which is unusual for this show and they were over $1,100.  Times have changed regarding the prices of AKs compared to ARs.  Found two Gen 5 G19 pistols on dealer tables, one priced $825 the other $995! That is quite a price jump for a normally $550-675 handgun.  Not making a negative statement about capitalism and the free market, just observation.

I was fearing I had made an error last week in purchasing a new handgun from Academy for MSRP.  Normally do the internet and FFL thing, but got worried and picked up a new pistol.  Did not see a comparable model for less than $150 over what I had paid for mine.  So a little more satisfaction with my purchase. (at least that is how I am justifying it to myself)

There was a mixed crowd and everyone seemed courteous and friendly.

Lots of bare space on some tables.  People were buying. Ammo sales seemed brisk.  Magazine guy was having a good day.  Knife sharpening guy had a good size pile of work in front of him.  Not as much survival supplies as I've seen in the past. (and that is three days from TS Beta arriving in the area)

Saw a gunsmith buddy of mine and we chatted as I was about to leave.  Conversation trended toward what people were buying and I decided to bring in a rifle I had brought.  Dropped off a very basic ($400) AR-15 with him at his table on consignment.  Headed out after about an hour.

After spending sometime with herself, eating some of my favorite fish tacos on the bay watching the storm come in, I headed back to the show getting there about an hour before closing time.

At 3:00 a number of vendors were packing up.  Still a pretty good number of folks walking around shopping inside.  Made a quick loop and went to check on the rifle.  It had sold for $800.  Had previously told my friend I needed $700, so I was happy and he made a $100 so he seemed happy.  Coincidentally that just about covered my new purchase, lol.

They are having another show at that location next weekend with a different promoter, High Caliber Gun Shows.

Across town, this promoter will be in Humble next weekend.  Second weekend in a row where Houston area is having two shows.

Talking to a buddy who is going to try and get a table in Humble, might bring some extra items to see if the buying spree is alive and well.  Got an AR pistol in .300 BLK that might be sold if the price is right.  Might take a few other guns as well.  We will see.  Figure to get some pocket change to fully accessorize the new acquisition.  Or at the very least cover another AR project.

Final observations:

Hate the panic from the pandemic and the social unrest.

Glad to see gun orientated small businesses making money.

Like the diverse nature of the crowds at the show, hope they vote the correct way in November.

Happy to see the convention center letting as normal as possible show occur.

I'm glad I went, looking forward to this coming weekend.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:42:43 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Gun Show this past weekend (9/20)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »
double tap...................
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:47:56 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks for your very astute and informative observations.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:38:08 PM by tracker »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
Definitely a seller's market right now.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:26:39 PM »
Couple of things I forgot to mention.

It seems premium firearms are not being treated the same way as the more common flagship guns.

Saw a Sig P210 target model for, IIRC, about $1,500 and a standard model for a few hundred less.  Thought those were priced decently.  Those CZ race guns seemed to be the same price as earlier this year.  Folks seemed ok paying almost 2x for a Ruger, Glock, etc. but not for a pistol that was expensive to begin with.  Did see a few Tokarevs on one table, for about $250.  Surprised no one was paying attention to those.  Unusual, foreign and ammo issues may not be the answer for the general public.

Hunting rifles, Weatherbys and the like, seemed to be priced the same as they were last year.  Season is approaching, usually it's time to sell/buy these.

Did not see a single surplus parts kit.  Usually one or two sellers have Sten, Uzi, FAL, Sterling, AK kits.  Usually covered in grease and well worn.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Missed our local show a few weeks ago....don’t buy much anymore, mostly moving a few rifles out of the safe.  I’m still a bit leery of crowds anyway as my wife and I are rather fragile health-wise.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:07:08 PM »
Mike went Saturday at about 930. Saw the line around the building and said I don’t think so.  🤷‍♂️

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
Mike went Saturday at about 930. Saw the line around the building and said I don’t think so.  🤷‍♂️

You got another chance this weekend.  It only took 10 minutes or so for me to get in.  It moved faster than I would have expected.

Good time to sell if you have any extras.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »
What a difference a week make.

Reports from the Humble (Premiere Gun Shows) reported less than expected sales.  Friend walked the show with 2 ARs, only one person asked about them.

I went to the Pasadana (High Caliber Gun Shows) both Saturday and Sunday.  Dropped off three guns with a friend on his table.  Picked up two of them, an AR and a Browning target pistol this afternoon.  The third he thought he might have a buyer for tomorrow outside the show.  No interest.  Medium sized crowd, few folks sitting filling out paperwork, but on the whole a disappointment for many of the dealers.  Most everything available, still inflated.  One seller put up a $100 off any gun sign this afternoon.  (IMHO he needed to :) )  Not much interest.

I did see a H&K P7M8 at a table.  Guy said $1,500, but when I started to walk away he quickly went into sell it now mode.  Don't know how low he would have gone as I was afraid to make an offer.  Motivated seller on that gun.

Looked at a few CZ Shadows, I like those but not wanting one for $1,300.  I think that is reasonable and not inflated, but just not a gun near the top of the list.

Ammo prices are out of my reach as well.  I'm an optimist in this regard and think the days of reasonable priced practice and defensive ammo are coming back. (At least I hope so, otherwise I've got to get some more dies, and work out the right arm.)

Didn't see much interest in the tables that had body armor.

Not a lot of folks carrying guns to sell this weekend either.

They have another show next week, hope to pick up a little cash for the .22 I left, but not near as excited as I was during this past week at the expected opportunities.

Might be a bit of show over-saturation in this county on the part of the promoters kicking in and overcoming the panic. Supreme Court justice choice might have alleviated some fears as well.

Still have a polite and diverse crowd.

We will see what the future holds.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
Mike I am looking to buy a snub revolver. But zero chance I am paying above msrp for ANYTHING

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have one of those Mike. 

Let me check around and see if any acquaintances do.  The good news is that they seem to be a few at the shows, not sure on the pricing as those are not normally something I look at.  I probably should, as a couple of folks I know would be better served with a DA revolver than the semi-automatics they currently rely on.

Saturday opening of the show is my target time to be there next week.  So give me an idea about what you would like.  If I see something I think you would be interested in I will text you.

I did find this near you, Pasadena has one (it says).  https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith-wesson-model-642-38-special-p-revolver#repChildCatid=126616

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:14:24 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »
Damn!  I dumped two 642CT’s last December for $300 each, barely used and perfect...wish I’d known you wanted one Tattoo.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
Damn!  I dumped two 642CT’s last December for $300 each, barely used and perfect...wish I’d known you wanted one Tattoo.
that would of been perfect. Lol.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »
Must apologize to Mickey (tattoo), called him Mike in an earlier post.  I texted you a few pictures of the snub nose revolvers that were (IMHO) reasonably priced for our current times today.

Lots of folks, not a lot of sales.  It was a High Caliber promoted show.

Got lucky and sold a .22 pistol from John Dixon's table.  Proceeds will fund a project that needs a $200 permission slip (stamp).

T R Graham was there.  For those that don't recognize the name he is one of the premiere Glocksmiths in the country.  Haven't seen him in the Houston area in years.  Normally he is in Ft. Worth.  Picked up an extended slide stop for my G19 from him.  Should aid in accuracy due to more precise barrel lock up.  Internet says it's good and I like a little extra length when disassembling the pistol.

Also had a guy make me a IWB holster for the Glock 19. Leather and Kydex, single clip.

Kicking myself over what might have been an awesome trade.  Gentleman walking the show had a BNIB Sig P210, wanted $900.  Remembered I had an AR to trade after he walked off, could not find him again to see if interested.

Gun Panic seems to be gone, people still profit taking on ammo.

All in all a good day at the show.

Picked up some thick rib-eyes for later on the way home, so the day will get even better.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 02:44:27 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »
Mike, sounds like you had a great day with ribs on the grill yet to come!  No gun shows here for now, but I got to the shotgun range for a round of sporting clays, shooting only true pairs and shot really well....then to the indoor range where I shot the two pistols I’m taking on a driving trip with my wife in a a couple of weeks to Northern Virginia to visit family and break the monotony of 7 months of relative isolation.  Life is good!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis