Author Topic: R9 broke at the range (again)  (Read 5065 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
R9 broke at the range (again)
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
My poor ol’ Covert is breaking down it seems.  It may have seen 600 rounds shot since inception, but several months ago it broke the slide pin.  Eric was kind enough to find me another, but I first had to smooth out the gauling on the slide and the frame rails...easily done.  Put it all back together, fired it at the range last week with one FTF (probably my limp wrist?), but otherwise it did well.  Anyway, I tightened the grip screws (after every 20-30 rounds), changed the recoil spring, went back today.  At 5 yards put 2 rounds in the X-ring and then.....nothing....the hammer was flopping around and, although a round was chambered, there was no movement.  Took it apart and removed the spring and trigger, both of which were in proper position.  I pushed down on the mainspring and removed the piston under the hammer....it looked to me like it may be deformed, but I have nothing to compare and in fact have no clue how it engages the hammer at the upper end. I did not try to remove the hammer until I have more information..

1.  Any good pictures/Schematics available on line?
2.  Any suggestion, advice?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: R9 broke at the range (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
I found the schematic.  The hammer strut fits into the plunger at the bottom and appears to be fixed to the hammer by the hammer strut pin.  Does the strut just fit on the pin, or is it actually pinned to the hammer?  I do suppose I will need to remove the hammer to evaluate, and then, if all is fixed, will need to figure out how to reconnect and replace.  I wish I were a gunsmith!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:49:37 PM »

Why not contact Alex at Williams Gunsight in Michigan or at least call Eric. I wouldn't have a clue how to address a mechanical malfunction like you described.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Will do Tracker.  My wife has been in and out of the hospital since September, in again last week....just too many things to do right now.  I put all the pieces in a ziplock and put them in the gunsafe for now.  I have enough rounds through the Sign P365 to trust it (in fact I am loving it!) so I am not lacking for carry (also have a sequestered R9 if needed).
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Hello backup,

I could use a few photographs so as to see what's going on there. Sorry for not getting back to you straight away, however, I too almost made the hospital trip Thursday evening. Getting better, but I at least wanted to check in here to see how everybody was doing and then I read your post here. We'll make her whole again when you have the time for the photos. . . . . We'll continue from there Good Sir.

Regards,

Eric R
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Thank you Eric.  I do hope your convalescence is progressing apace.  i’ve had trouble posting pictures since Photobucket has changed, but I’ll figure it out and get back to you.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
i’ve had trouble posting pictures since Photobucket has changed, but I’ll figure it out and get back to you.
John

You don't have to use a hosting service anymore, you can post directly from your own computer.

You might have to do what I do and email my pictures from my phone to my email, save them, then post them up.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »
Thanks Mike...didn’t know that.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
It is actually pretty easy now.

First you click this 'button'.  That will pull down the options.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
Next you use this button to access your own computer to select the file.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
You will not always see the picture until you post it up, preview does not work for me sometimes on this.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
Will do Tracker.  My wife has been in and out of the hospital since September, in again last week....just too many things to do right now.  I put all the pieces in a ziplock and put them in the gunsafe for now.  I have enough rounds through the Sign P365 to trust it (in fact I am loving it!) so I am not lacking for carry (also have a sequestered R9 if needed).
All the best to Arnell and youI’m thinking of you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Hello backup,

I could use a few photographs so as to see what's going on there. Sorry for not getting back to you straight away, however, I too almost made the hospital trip Thursday evening. Getting better, but I at least wanted to check in here to see how everybody was doing and then I read your post here. We'll make her whole again when you have the time for the photos. . . . . We'll continue from there Good Sir.

Regards,

Eric R
All the best to you, Eric! And stay out of hospitals. Very little good comes from them. (Don’t ask me how I know.)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Hello backup,

Regards,

Eric R
All the best to you, Eric! And stay out of hospitals. Very little good comes from them. (Don’t ask me how I know.)

So far, so good Richard. Hope all is well by you also.

Really not a fan of this getting old thing.  lol.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.