Author Topic: Robert Locke (MECO Holsters) Passed Away  (Read 4648 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Robert Locke (MECO Holsters) Passed Away
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »

Just read a post in Facebook from Robert's granddaughter on how she missed her grandpa and went to the Seecamp Forum to confirm my fear that Robert passed  - 12:30 AM yesterday from liver cancer. Most day's I carry a Seecamp (or an R9) - I got both through Tom Watson, in holster s  made by RJ or Robert. All three good men who have been a big part of the two forums and have passed on.  Tom through ALS, a very slow process and a cruel disease, RJ and Robert through Cancer. As I get older there are more family (including furry ones), and those thought of as friends who have gone on. 

One day I received an unexpected package from Robert. It was a new holster design he was thinking of adding to his line up.  Robert wanted me to use it for awhile and give him some feedback, then keep it as a thank you gift. 
Will be thinking of you often Robert.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Robert Locke (MECO Holsters) Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 07:22:13 AM »
There are few real craftsman left - people who have truly mastered a craft, and Robert Locke was a craftsman.

I too purchased my R9 from Tom Watson, he was a great guy.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
I think that it is a great honor for all of us to carry a holster with the name Meco stamped on it...and there are a lot of us. He was truly a gifted craftsman. I did not know him personally, but dealt with him. Always a gentleman. He will be missed. I bought my 1st Rohrbaugh from Tom Watson...another class act of an individual. I still remember the day I received a call from his brother informing me of his death. I had just talked with him a few days earlier as I had a Rohrbaugh on order with him. He suggested that I call Maria @ Rohrbaugh about my order. I did, and Maria was crushed by the bad news. I then informed the Forum. In the short time that I knew him, I just knew that there was a lot of nice warm history about him.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
Robert was instrumental in getting me started in the holster making business.  I once asked if he didn't mind teaching a would be competitor the tricks of the trade.  He replied that RJ had been most generous in teaching him and he was happy to pass the knowledge on.  He was one of the good ones.

Robert will be missed by all of us here and over on the Seecamp Forum.   As I posted there, I hope that when he gets "up there" there are Seecamp and Rohrbaugh Forums and that his friend RJ is posting as usual.

RIP Robert.

Brian

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
We should all aspire to be remembered as a good and honest person whose work and talent will be valued long after we pass.  It was a pleasure to buy from him.  RIP Robert.  You are missed.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
That is such sad news.

Robert Meco, R. J. Hedley, Milt Sparks  ...  they and so many other great holster makers are now gone. Their work, however, will live on as inspiration for future generations of artists in gunleather.

Requiēscat in pāce, Robert.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
Rest in eternal peace Mr. Locke . . . . . . .
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline JJ62

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »
I spoke with Mrs. Locke shortly after Roberts passing. She said he was a fighter till the end.
Robert and I spent many hours discussing RJ, and what he taught us. He was a true friend and gentleman. He will be missed, but his contribution to the pocket holsters industry will live on. RIP Robert, and tell RJ hello

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Along that line I had some refurb work done recently by Lisa Hedley, RJ's daughter. RJ and Robert would be very proud of her superb workmanship and dedication to their same level of excellence and customer service.