Author Topic: "Little Big Man"  (Read 7687 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
"Little Big Man"
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
   Being laid up with a Distal tear in my right arm from a freak accident in a layout blind up in Saskatchewan a few weeks back,
I decided to go down to the local book store and get a magazine on Pocket pistols. I'm taking delivery of a Glock 43 and a Ruger LCR 9mm. on Wednesday.Won't be able to shoot either until after surgery this month.
     Getting back to the magazine.Page 74,"Little Big Man" Pocket Pistols magazine,New issue,is a short article on the new Remington R380.
  Just an FYI,I guess.Oh,and another thing,muscles aren't quite as flexible in a layout blind at 66 as they were at 40.
                                                                                                                                                                           Johnny

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: "Little Big Man"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
Nothing is as good as it was at 40 when you're 66!  lol   Ref. the RM380. . . . . Speaking with our contact at Remington, these will start to be available come early next year. (He told us January for ours). Once I get mine, I'll do a report on it with some photographs. Karl and I are excited to see how they treated our little guy. Should be interesting to say the least!

Eric R.

PS:
        Rest up those muscles now . . . . . . They ain't what they used to be!  (ouch)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
  You may or may not of read the article.It does mention Rohrbaugh in the article,which I think is important.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »
I think that if you don't own an original R380, the new Remington might be interesting and fun to shoot. If one owns an original...no need to go there.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
If you've got the money, the perfect backup gun to an R9 is another R9, but I don't have the money.

I am hoping that at least the trigger on the RM380 is similar to my R9, I think it would make a good backup to the R9.

Hey can you give a range report on the 9mm LCR when you heal up?  I've heard of heavier bullets jumping crimp from the recoil.  My favorite 2 rounds are 147gr HST and 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" Series RA9T so I'd be interested to know if these rounds actually do fall apart after being jerked around a few times in an LCR.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:00:41 AM »
Interesting about those rounds.
  I will give a range report.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
Range report-sort of
     I went out to the range with a friend today who just won a handgun recently.
          My surgery on my arm is the 25th.I did take the new Glock 43 and the new Ruger LCR 9mm and carefully shot around 25 rounds out of each.As expected the Glock performed flawlessly.The LCR not so.A moon clip broke in my pocket.I can live with that.I can learn better ways to transport such a fragile item,and have many more on hand.But, and a big But,I had 2 rounds next to each other that separated in the cylinder.I took the 2 casings out and stuck a pencil to get the round out.The powder just pored out .I never heard of this happening.Has anyone else.Both firearms used ammo from the same box.Any ideas?
  Also,has anybody have an opinion on Gibbs cleaning/lubricant liquid?I had a bottle come with my Knighthawk last year.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
I Googled Ruger LCR 9mm and came up with this link that seems to be of interest.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/12/massad-ayoob-looks-ruger-lcr-9mm/
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »
 Thank you for the link.
     What did come in the mail today were 3 new moon clips,and a new Mitch Rosen holster.and might I say,I took advantage of the 20% on the cost because Ruger offers that with the new gun.gun. I'm going to take it out and see if I continue having the problem with the casing separation from the projectile.If I can't figure it out I think I will call Ruger and see what they say.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
   A little FYI on the Ruger LCR 9mm that I was having some problems with.
     The president of our defensive pistol league was at the range yesterday helping people sight in their rifles for this coming Saturday's deer opener, which I will be missing for the first time in probably 35 years because of my arm injury.Anyways,the issue of the separation of the bullet and the casing in the cylinder,he says,and makes total sense to me,is caused by the recoil of a round going off in an adjoining cylinder.The pressure is high enough in some rounds to cause the separation,and the reason it didn't happen in my Glock 43,is because some of the pressure is released by the recoil of the slide.That was Federal ammo.He said to try different ammo because the crimp might not be as good,or just a bad lot.And I did.With the Winchester white box I had no issues.In addition,I threw in one Plus P round with the other 4.It presented me with not being able to reject the moon clip .The Plus P I guess expanded too much.It wasn't a problem getting it out with the end of a pen,but could be a problem if the need arose to have to eject them.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
The Boberg pistols that pull the cartridges from the rear of the magazine instead of pushing them forward the conventional way have this trouble with certain ammo.

The Federal Champion ammo in the red box and sold at Walmart was very bad for this.  The ammo is sold as a FMJ but it is really a plated bullet and there is no way to crimp these firm enough to work.  The same is true with CCI Blaser brass and aluminum.  They to use a plated instead of a jacketed bullet.

Which Federal ammo were you using?

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
   I threw the box out,however,it was red and it was Walmart.The Winchester white box I had no issues with.I only had a few rounds of those so I stopped and bought a 200 round box ,$47.I plan on shooting a number of rounds thru with that box,and see what happens.I might even take the pup out and shoot a mag or two with my left hand.
                                                                              Thanks for the info!
                                                                                                     Johnny

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
Good luck Johnny,
Once you find out what treatment (cleaniing and lubricant) your pup prefers and find the ammo that it really likes (Divas are notoriously fickle, but WORTH IT), you will, hopefully, be fully confiden in your R9, as I am with mine.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
  I sent the LCR back to Ruger yesterday.We'll see.
      It's only a few weeks old.but they said they will check it out and I should get it back in a few weeks.My arm will be in a sling then from the surgery,so I'll have to wait til I get back in the saddle.
          I did mention the separation of a few rounds,and the firing pin hitting the primer,but failing to detonate it a few times.
          I'll just see what happens here.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »

I have heard some good things about Ruger's customer service. They will fix it; Please keep us informed.