Author Topic: Boberg Arms Sold  (Read 4743 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Boberg Arms Sold
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
I just copied and pasted this from the Boberg Forum.

MD is Mark Dante, Boberg's Head Gunsmith

Bond Arms, Inc. is excited to announce it has purchased the assets and product lines of Boberg Arms Corporation located in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Boberg Arms is the pioneering developer of compact and concealable, full-power semi-auto handguns featuring a unique, patented rear-feed system.
Bond Arms, of Granbury, Texas, is the industry leader manufacturing the smallest, most powerful and best built personal protection handguns.
The Boberg-designed bullpup semi-auto pistol is a perfect fit in the Bond Arms product line of precision- engineered, quality-constructed compact personal firearms. This acquisition is effective immediately and includes a transition period that may temporarily affect the ability of current Boberg Arms owners to receive quick warranty service if needed.
Boberg Arms will be relocating its manufacturing from St. Paul, MN to Granbury, TX over the next several months. It can be expected that in early January 2016, Bond Arms will begin servicing and supporting all current Boberg firearms. Also, during the first quarter of 2016 Bond Arms is expected to begin refining and building the next generation of these bullpup pistols under the Bond Arms name, on a limited basis at its Texas facility.
Customers of both companies are encouraged to follow the transition process on their respective current Facebook pages, and post any questions you may have there as well. This is also where we will announce when pre-orders for these next- generation Bond Arms bullpup semi-auto pistols can be placed, so stay tuned! --

thanks for everything folks!
~md

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Boberg Arms Sold
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »

There goes another collectible!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »
Kind of a sad tale.  Arne is a super Engineer and Designer in my opinion.  He started designing guns while in grade school.  He worked his way up to where he could start his own company and was living the dream as they say. 

He took his design from paper, to prototype, and on to a successful production model with very few hiccups.  Personal problems popped up and brought it to an end for him.

I wish the best for him, his family, and his employees.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »

Odd fit for Bond Arms...  Not sure this is great news for fans of the design.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
I have the XR9 and a platinum XR9L...both great shooters and fun to have.  I don't use either for carry as the my R9 Covert is my EDC, but enjoy shooting and would carry if the situation suggested the need.  I'm sorry that Arne had to sell, but hey, now Rohrbaugh, Seecamp and Boberg are history.  I do hope that Boberg will have an engaged successor to continue the legacy as Seecamp and perhaps to a lesser extent Rohrbaugh have done (not speaking of Remington however).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

The decline and transition of Boberg sounds like another version of, "Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song."

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »
Another copy and paste from the Boberg Forum.  Mark was Boberg's head Smith.

Permalink Reply by Mark Dante 12 hours ago

Bond Arms is a great fit for the xr series! they know how to make quality small arms and market them in a way that gets the firearms out to a vast number of folks!

i have nothing but great things to say about everyone from Bond Arms that i have met. really great people that will provide folks with the same customer care i hope you folks have grown to expect.
i am not moving on to Bond Arms, my son is here and i couldnt imagine moving too far away from him. i am at another manufacturer here in the great state of minnesota! but i will be doing whatever Bond Arms need to ensure a painless transition for our GREAT customer base out there.
speaking of which...
having a chance to deal with all of you folks has been the greatest work experience
in my life. what a great bunch of guys and gals... i am a lucky man!
the forums will remain up and i will continue to try to answer any questions or help in any way i can!

look for some GREAT things from bond, they will continue to develop the xr series and are committed to building the most powerful sub-compact semi auto on the market! i am really excited to see where the series will go!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »

Well, that is an interesting spin. I hope it's true.

Let's be honest, Bond Arms is kind of a one-trick pony with very heavy and technologically simple single-action derringers in sometimes insane calibers.  I don't necessarily agree with their marketing, or think that Bond guns are a good self-defense choice for anyone. 

That is not a criticism of the quality of the guns, which seems to be good.

To shift to producing the Boberg -  a very modern and complex design - and get it to the mass market...  That is definitely a major pivot for Bond Arms.

It would be very interesting to know how much they paid for Boberg.  That might indicate whether this was kind of a "flyer" to see what happens, or a true commitment to a totally new direction for the company.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
When Arne left the employment of BAC (he is still a stock holder), their Forum just about died.  As far I was concerned, Arne was the Company.

Their pistols work fine, but I do not know that they will take over the market.  As far as I am concerned, Arne rushed the XR45s to the market so he could leave.  I had great hopes for it, and mine works great once they got their magazine troubles straightened out, but the trigger reach is just too long for about 50% of the shooting public.  Slow fire I am fine, but during a rapid fire drill, my hand tends to turn and I lose some control and a lot of accuracy.  To compensate I have to use my off hand to "grip the pistol" more than I am used to and that affects accuracy also.  I can shoot a XDS45 much better in rapid fire.