Author Topic: R45?  (Read 18668 times)

Offline gunner930

Re: R45?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2004, 03:19:34 PM »
 I'm way late for posting in this section, but in hopes of a future 45acp from Rohrbaugh, here goes. I'd love to see a Rohrbaugh 45acp. Actually, I want a Rohrbaugh 45acp!  :P
 I know it would be hard to make a 45acp that is practical for pocket carry, but if anyone could, I know it would be Rohrbaugh after handling and carrying the R9s. saying that and trying to be more realistic, how about one that is more concealable than anything else ever made. (weighs more than the R9s but almost as small)
 I own am AMT Back-up 45acp and yes it does have a heavy trigger pull and plenty of recoil but its the smallest D.A.O. 45acp ever made. I carried it daily for about 3years around my farm while i was working. (mowing, weed-eating, ect..) It was nice because it was small and not in the way but still had the 45acps knockdown power.
 Although its reliability has been questioned alot, I fired several, several rounds through mine before the first problem. It started jamming when reloading the next round. I had the feed ramp polished and its doing fine now. I also found it to be quite accurate for its size and i'm no match shooter either.
 Since they are no longer made and parts are scarce, i have retired it from daily carry. I now carry a Glock 36 around the farm but still look for something smaller. Haven't found anything small enough to justify replacing the 36 with. I did just purchase another barely used AMT.
 Rohrbaugh could refine the AMT Back-up 45's characteristics alot i have no doubt! Build it and we will buy......
Gunner930

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 09:24:30 AM »
William Blake, the English poet, said once that we can never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough.  Ayoob (I think) did a recent article on real-world killing power based on autopsies of bad guys killed "on the job."  His opinion is that, when using premium HP ammo in a good gun, it doesn't matter whether it's a 9mm, .40 or .45, the expansion is about equal and the killing rate about the same. ;D  Now, I'm a great fan of the .45, whether acp or Colt (I have two Kimbers, two Peacemakers, and a Schofield) and love to shoot them all, and I regularly carry the Kimbers  when practical to do so, but I have to ask myself this question: If I'm buying a POCKET gun, don't I want it to be as small and light as possible so I'm not constantly reminded that I'm carrying a gun in my pocket?

Offline gunner930

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 01:54:11 PM »
 Yeah, I know the AMT isn't practical for a pocket gun nor would a newer 45 its size be. I just like the idea of a 45acp that concealable and small. I often carried my AMT with an inside-the-pants holster and found it excellent for a ccw. I would just like to see something like it, more refined, alot smaller than my Glock 36 be produced.
 I agree that the bigger size a caliber doesn't make it more lethal. I do think the "knockdown power" is better though. I live in a remote area that borders national forest and stay armed here mostly because of any predatory animals that may be around. I do plan on purchasing something like a 44mag or 454 for this reason. There are just times when I'm working that even my 36 on my hip is in the way.
 I know a guy who doesn't believe in anything smaller than a .38 long being lethal. He doesn't trust automatic guns either. During our friendly arguments, I try and explain to him there are just times a 38 revolver is too large for a pocket or ccw although they are very reliable.  ;)

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 02:03:59 AM »
Hmmmm... second time today that I'm reminded of what I learned from www.AmmoLab.com and the time I spent watching some testing of ammo there.

Depth and diameter of wound channel is very similar for premium ammo in 9 and 45.

.357 Sig from smallest Glock was the most remarkably explosive test, by far, for the day.

+p+ hooligig banannas ammo at $5 a shot was customarily VERY good at making a shallow and terrible wound in naked geletin and did not do well at all through the customary 4 layers of denim and then into geletin.

I SAVOR my Rohrbaugh.  However, take a look at the hundreds and hundreds of 9 and 45 tests on geletin... they are very, very, similar.  

Unless we go to the R357s which would take a major toll on the nervous system of the shooter as well; I think Mssrs. Rohrbaugh have given us the ultimate short tube option.  The .45 hole would shure look COOL in such a baby gun though!   ;D

Has anyone shot the shorty .50 S&W revolver yet?  Now THAT'S A GUN!  And, my buddy just filled the request of his girlfriend Monday and got her a Desert Eagle .50 A.E.  With IMI ammo the flame ball was about 4' diameter and 6' long!  Daylight flash blindness for the shooter!!!!  

Hey Eric!  Have you considered a R.50.AE.s???   ;D ::) ::)

Personally, I LOVE tiny powerful things!!! Ohhh and Pistols too.  ;D  
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline gunner930

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 03:44:04 AM »
 Hi Jody, thanks for the link to ammolab.com! I'll check it out. I'm just now really learning about balistics. I'm not wanting a 45 the size of an R9s. I'd just like to see a gun the size and cal. of an AMT Back-up 45 with the precision and quality of the R9s.
 I have a special situation being I want stopping power that will at least give me my best (if any) chance against a bear or mountain lion at the few times I cant wear a 44mag or 454 which I will be buying soon. These are times like when I'm down in the mud on my belly fixing a water line, or working on a barb wire fence having to crawl under it, or even laying under my farm truck changing the oil. Dont really want a gun on my hip or inside the pants during these times. I know my AMTs aren't pocket guns but they easily fit in my pocket during these situations.
 Do you think my R9s would stop a bear better than a 45acp might? If it would, I'd rather have the R9s in my pocket than the AMT.  ;)

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 10:26:45 PM »
OK, now along this side road... departing farther... for your EDC with a slam; how about the Glock 10mm loaded with the maximum www.DoubleTap.com ammo?  It's hard to beat for weight, size, dependability, cost, and POWER.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 11:24:21 PM »
Somewhere I read here, I believe,  "You never know what is enough, until you see more that enough"

10MM would be it !!!
RJ=

Offline gunner930

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 03:00:51 AM »
 "down this side road" "departing farther" Hmmm, I believe the topic is R45?  ::).....  :D

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2004, 06:51:24 AM »
Note:  www.AmmoLab.com is no longer available.

However; David DiFabio, the Founder and Source of that site still posts informative info about ammo at www.warriortalk.com

He has recently posted that similar speed and design of bullet in these pistol calibers are effectively the same.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 06:52:59 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »