Author Topic: NRA v. Yeti  (Read 4681 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
NRA v. Yeti
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
I really like Yeti products.  I think they are the best in the industry, and priced that way.

I am also an NRA life member.

I have been following the NRA/Yeti dispute, and I tend to believe that Yeti was not divorcing itself from the NRA or taking any kind of political position.  I tend to think it was an internal marketing plan change that was not communicated properly, etc.  Likely something that could have been cleared up with a phone call.  Yeti was always built on outdoorsmen, and has voiced support for the Second Amendment in the past. 

That being said, the NRA is acting like a boyfriend/girlfriend who is bad at breakups:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180508/alert-cant-wait-for-your-yeti-cover-up-stickers

EVEN IF Yeti was trying to quietly separate from the NRA a bit for whatever reason -- the NRA's response seems over the top.  I am afraid that other companies will avoid doing business with the NRA for fear that a business decision to change that relationship down the road (maybe even for pure business reasons) could lead to an all out campaign against the former partner company.

Curious what others here think.  Is this all out war against Yeti justified?  Could the money and effort be better spent taking on the clear enemies of the Second Amendment?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:27:50 AM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: NRA v. Yeti
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
I have been the Chairman of our local Friends of NRA Committee for the past 8 years.

In my opinion, the NRA has played a big part in Yeti's success.  The NRA has featured there products at nearly every fund raiser for the past several years and touted them as the best made product of it's kind and American made.

Why Yeti did this the way they did is a mystery to me.  The NRA is putting out decals for members to put over the Yeti name on their coolers.

By the way, in a side by side test Orca beat Yeti at a much better price.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:19:46 AM »
The NRA is putting out decals for members to put over the Yeti name on their coolers.

This is what I am talking about.  Doesn't this seem a bit over the top?  Even if Yeti withdrew their NRA programs (arguable--but let's assume), they did not attack the NRA, come out as against any aspect of the Second Amendment, or join forces with any anti-gun organizations...  That is clear.

So...why do they deserve such vitriol?  Covering up Yeti logos, really?  It's childish.  How about we go after the people who are actively trying to destroy the Second Amendment instead of targeting a company that used to be a friend to the NRA, and honestly still might have been?

I think it's a chilling effect on other sponsorships when they see this type of backlash from doing anything perceived as a slight to the NRA.  I would hesitate to get involved with any corporate sponsorship with the NRA at this point.

In other words -- enough.  Let's just cool it, and stop looking like a jilted jealous lover.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
I guess I disagree with you. 

The NRA played a large part in getting the Yeti name out there.  Yeti came to the NRA to get their help in getting their name out into the public and the NRA gladly helps American Companies who support the Second Amendment and in turn receive help from these companies.

To all of a sudden drop their support for no apparent reason that I have heard is a stab in the back.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Duane, I disagree with you.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/yeti-nra-business-ties/

"YETI countered the NRA-ILA’s characterization of their actions in a statement asserting that they were merely “eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs” which they had previously offered to a number of organizations, not just the NRA:"
This is legal spin bullshit liberal talk, nothing else.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:35:07 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Online MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
I agree Duane, it seems really childish and mean spirited.

Don’t chain your Yeti cooler to the back of your pick-up truck and drag it down the highway. Don’t hang your Yeti cooler in a tree and beat it with a baseball bat.

Seriously?  Did they hire a Trump twitter writer for these lines?  Why are they burning a bridge that they might need to cross at a later date?

The NRA needs to grow the f' up in some areas.  And yes, I am a life member and like MRC I was once the president (for a short time) of a local Friends of the NRA chapter.  Now I don't even go to the annual fundraiser dinner.  Don't get me started on the hyperbole that comes out of Phil Schreier and others on their TV programming.

However, regarding Yeti.  They are quality, nice designs and way over priced for what they are.  I've done the whole tumbler thing from them, for me they aren't that much/if any better than the competition.  I will not replace them with new Yeti products when I finally loose the last one. (Left a couple on jobsites, top of SUV and drove off, etc.)  Not because of any NRA issues, but due to the cost and their strong handed marketing.  Let the retailers decide what they want to charge, don't threaten to not supply if they don't toe the MSRP line exactly.

I am actually surprised they are still going strong...............if they are.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
"YETI countered the NRA-ILA’s characterization of their actions in a statement asserting that they were merely “eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs” which they had previously offered to a number of organizations, not just the NRA:"
This is legal spin bullshit liberal talk, nothing else.

I get this reaction -- I do.  But has Yeti done anything else to lead you to believe they have a liberal agenda?

Why would they decide to distance themselves from the NRA, and then immediately backpedal and say they didn't mean it and they support the Second Amendment?  Do you think they didn't anticipate any backlash and immediately folded?  That seems naive on their part. 

This is why I'd rather not know where my cooler manufacturers politics lie.  Never bought Yeti just because they supported the NRA.  I can support the NRA on my own terms.  If Yeti was actively taking positions I didn't like -- that is a different story. 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:20:11 AM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
This is one skirmish that I am happy to profess complete ignorance.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »

However, regarding Yeti.  They are quality, nice designs and way over priced for what they are.  I've done the whole tumbler thing from them, for me they aren't that much/if any better than the competition.  I will not replace them with new Yeti products when I finally loose the last one. (Left a couple on jobsites, top of SUV and drove off, etc.)  Not because of any NRA issues, but due to the cost and their strong handed marketing.  Let the retailers decide what they want to charge, don't threaten to not supply if they don't toe the MSRP line exactly.

I am actually surprised they are still going strong...............if they are.

These discussions always get around to --  Yeti isn't that great anyway, and/or overpriced. 

I think Yeti's quality and appearance is better than anything out there--in my opinion.  I would agree that the premium price tag may not be enough to justify the difference with some other products.  That is just a matter of personal opinion.   Ironically--it's a bit like a Rohrbaugh pricing argument.  Do you want the best quality and look, or are you o.k. with a Ruger that works really well.  ;)

I also appreciate the fact that Yeti is an innovator.  Every time they come out with a new product, lots of people copy it.  I get some satisfaction in supporting the company that created the market, rather than the companies that have copied the market.  Yeti is back in gear now, innovating with the Yeti Bucket and the Camp Chair--all which will be copied by someone else in varying degrees of quality at varying degrees of discount.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
When I purchased my Yeti cups and cooler, I also purchased the same knock offs at Walmart for 1/3 or 1/4 of the Yeti price as a test. With a lot of beach use, they all look and function the same. I was all done with Yeti MSRP overpricing some time ago.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
When I purchased my Yeti cups and cooler, I also purchased the same knock offs at Walmart for 1/3 or 1/4 of the Yeti price as a test. With a lot of beach use, they all look and function the same. I was all done with Yeti MSRP overpricing some time ago.

Lots of people feel this way.  I can't say its wrong.  I had a Walmart brand cup a while back.  I thought the rubber gasket looked cheap by comparison.  However, that was while ago.  Again, I'm not saying it is necessarily a significant functional difference.

I don't love the looks of the Ozark Trail coolers -- but that is just me.  They may work just as well.

It doesn't hurt that my daughter works at a Yeti dealer and I get some significant discounts.  8)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
Maybe it is just me but I refused to buy a cooler that cost more than a refrigerator that is the same size.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »
Maybe it is just me but I refused to buy a cooler that cost more than a refrigerator that is the same size.

Lol.  But my cooler will last a lot longer than your $300 refrigerator!  ;)

They are rich boy toys for sure, but lots of things fall in that category.

Duane (DDGator)

Online MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
Yeti did not invent the stainless steel vacuum sealed cup, they came out with a different shape, big gulp size, and marketed the heck out if it.  I've been carrying an old style Thermos lately.  It's not that much different than the classic Stanley, and they both are top shelf in craftsmanship and performance, it just does not fit into the cup holder as well.

I do admit they took a stagnant market and revitalized it.  Maybe that is innovation or clever marketing and packaging.

Regarding the Walmart brand cup, got one.  Never been lucky enough to lose one of the cheap ones, they hang around forever.  :P

I do respect the argument, if you find something you like stick with it.  If you are a strong Yeti fan, I don't see a reason to change that now. Good point about the Rohrbaugh v. Ruger, LOL.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
  Boy,I'm with Tracker.I knew nothing about this skirmish either.
      Two responses,one relevant,and one way off in left field like my students have sometimes responded to my questions over the years in the classroom.
      1-when I ran hunting dogs over the years. I always used Tri-Tronics Training collars,and up dated them every two to three years.
           They totally stood behind their product.Starting,probably in the early nineties a rash of new up starts entered the field.Cost wise,cheaper,less research needed to be done to produce the product,quality wise I don't know.If something works I don't fix it.If I remember correctly.Rather small company but high standards and it was family owned.
       Somewhere along the line Garmin bought them.How the collars fare today I don't know.No hunting dogs anymore.
    2-Totally unrelated.As I mentioned on the forum a few weeks ago,my wife and I were going to go down south for a vacation.Except for Fort Hood,which I considered south west,I have never been in the south.Unexpectedly we both fell in love with Alabama.First of all the climate.Because of a huge snowstorm we were stranded 3 to 4 days before we could even get out of our home in North Eastern Wisconsin.And the people.Seemed to be no rush in conversations,and of course the seafood!I was also surprised in some of the land forms I thought were very appealing.More hills and lush green trees than I expected.And finally as Forrest Gump says,"That's all I have to say about that."