Author Topic: Outside my Windows I - A Magical Morning  (Read 47981 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Outside my Windows - A Magical Morning
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2005, 08:30:56 PM »
It was the first day of deer hunting season in PA today.  Three bucks, including the one pictured earlier, laid down my my shed and stayed there most of the day.  It was interesting seeing hunters in the distance and these guys were hiding out.  They were safe - I haven't hunted in awhile. Hope they make it the next two weeks.

Since this is a feel good thread below is my best buddy Spencer.  The vet called this evening to tell me that the biopsies from his surgery came back all fine.  Oh the picture was the day after his surgery.  I would have been laid up for days.  That is one big worry off my shoulders.  Now my mothers health problems is the big one.
Dave

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 09:30:11 PM »
Excellent study pic dave - very nice indeed.  Handsome fella :)

Yes, first day of Buck - didn't get out.  Miserable wet day tho mild - darned fog never really cleared.  I expect I may haul my butt out for end of afternoon a time or two when - or if I feel like it - take the 454 for a walk!

I am not intent on result - it'll mainly be me communing with nature ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 11:58:09 PM »
Chris
You're right.  All of the years of hunting I enjoyed two things. One being with my dad when I was younger.  And also enjoying being in an isolated natural setting.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2005, 10:21:33 AM »
Dave, I see Spencer is smart and sat on the rug and not the cold floor!
Your Mom will follow Spencer's good luck and be fine also.
Our prayers are still coming.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »
Dave:

We are praying for your mother and her complete recovery.

That Spencer is a magnificent dog!  I know he gives you great joy.

Here is a photo of "Gypsy," a Hungarian Vizsla who was the best dog I ever owned.  What a hunter she was!  After more than a decade, I still mourn her passing.  

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2005, 12:13:23 PM »
I've had several dogs and cats.  It's so sad when they are lost.

We had some twelve cats born in our wood pile, then moving to the garage.

Scooter was the smallest and was always knocked around by the bigger cats.  Her biggest joy in life was the unfailing kindness and affection she received from me.  I was full of grief  when she died apparently after drinking anti-freeze.

My deep reverence for animals, both tame and wild, has left me unable to kill them for recreational purposes.  In my view, life is too precious to be destroyed in the name of sport.

Meanwhile, I respect those who enjoy hunting, and wish them great success in achieving a quick and humane kill.

Of course, all feelings are put aside when a wild animal attacks.

Bill    
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:02:38 PM by Michigunner »

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2005, 02:17:11 PM »
Great pictures Thanks to all.  I am an avid Hunter I go out in the dark and I come home in the dark.  I spend my days on the mountain and the peace and solitude are what it is all about. I do not hunt to kill, I sometimes kill to have hunted. I agree 100% with Chris its a sure shot or there is no shot.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
Tom:

Glad to hear that your internet connection is back in order and to see you posting again.  

Congratulations on your new service dog, and please keep us informed as the two of you bond together to take on the world.  That is always a wonderful thing to behold -- a service dog and his or her master working together.  Whenever I see that, I am in awe.      
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 06:51:55 PM »
Thank you Richard, I will give updates.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 07:17:03 PM »
It is always hard to lose that special pet.  The dog before Spencer, Jesse, passed after almost 17 years - like losing a family member.  Hard to imagine life without Spencer - only dog/cat lovers realize the love and dedication they give.

Below is one of the three Bucks that spent much of the first day of deer season hiding out by our large shed.  He had just gotten up and was moving so a little fuzzy.  Again I have no problem at all with hunting if the game is eaten.  I just lost the desire a few years ago.  
Dave

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 07:48:32 PM »
 I just lost the desire a few years ago.  

After many years and several trophies, I also lost the urge.  I wish that young buck well.  

And, Dave, I hear that National Geographic is looking for new photographers.  You seem to have the "magic touch."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 07:49:47 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
These magic moments, Part Deux...
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
I have mentioned in the past that I live in the woods...

I was about to post my magical moment when I spied this one from Dave. I was driving in my suburban Atlanta neighborhood, when I spied what looked like a statue of a big bird in my neighbors lawn. I stopped to look at it, at which point I saw it's head move. It was supposedly a red tailed hawk, but it looked bigger. Two men were walking toward me and the bird, and I motioned to them to check out the bird. As they got closer, the bird took off about 3 yards from me and had a dead squirrel in it's talons. Way cool! The bird was brownish, with white spots and very tall, perhaps 18-20".

But that's nothing compared to my most magical moment, perhaps ten years ago at my wife's family cabin in Upstate N.Y.  Jan and I were canoeing (in fact the only ones on the lake that weekday), and in an instant, two A10 Warthogs (gun content?;^) came whizzing past us perhaps 100 feet above us. We both waved our paddles, and the pilots tilted their wings and decided to give us an air show. I imagine they had some fuel to burn before returning to Fort Drum nearby. We sat there in shock as they flew back and forth over top of us, each time doing fancy piloting. They did barrel rolls, and other stuff I can't describe, but could draw, if I had an internet pencil;^) This is what happens; men NEVER mature past the age of 14, we just pretend to be cleverly disguised as responsible adults.  They must have done 6-8 passes before tipping their wings and flying off into the sunset.

If that event that day weren't enough, earlier that morning I was sitting on the dock, reading Better Homes and Pocket Guns;^), when I spied a huge bird of prey flying (floating) through the lake gorge. He seemed to take forever to get to my part of the lake, but as he approached, he dived for a fish, perhaps 15 yards off the dock, snatches a fish and flies off without stopping. I later learned it was an Osprey. Nature on parade!

So, we went from ancient history to modern technology in one simple day in Upstate New York. I'll never forget it...

Wish I had pix...

Steve

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2005, 06:36:08 PM »
Neat Steve - too bad you didn't have a camera - see any old girlfriends on your visit to PA from Georgia for your high school reunion.
Dave

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2005, 07:12:30 PM »
Neat Steve - see any old girlfriends on your visit to PA from Georgia for your high school reunion.
Dave

All of them :P

Roscoe Johnson
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2005, 11:58:34 AM »

All of them :P

Roscoe Johnson

Steve:

If you're like me, right about now (to paraphrase Garth Brooks' country song) you're thanking God for unanswered prayers.    ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"