Author Topic: Outside My Windows IV - Friends Around America  (Read 43298 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Outside My Windows IV - Friends Around America
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 11:11:22 PM »
Dave,

No problem about the airplane.  It was an act of God.

Nothing could be done because ropes were caught in the elevator where it goes up and down.  I could not lower the nose to a safe level.   The airplane was nose high and not far from stalling.

As I recall, a directive was later issued that tie-down ropes no longer be carried in the luggage comparment.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:16:24 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:51 PM »
That picture of the hawk is awesome.

Since we are on the subject of birds, my Cockatoo has learned to howl like my dog and bark like the neighbor's dog.  An extremely funny thing to watch and  listen to.  She will put her head back and howl, not too loudly, but it sounds exactly like my dog when the sirens go by.  Yesterday she started "barking" like the dog next door to us.  A quiet, "bark, bark".  The resemblance to the sound of the Yorkie next door was perfect.

Richard, if you ever decide to write an autobiography put me down for a copy, it is sure to be an interesting read.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
Dave,

No problem about the airplane.  It was an act of God.

Nothing could be done because ropes were caught in the elevator where it goes up and down.  I could not lower the nose to a safe level.   The airplane was nose high and not far from stalling.

As I recall, a directive was later issued that tie-down ropes no longer be carried in the luggage comparment.

Bill:

I'd say that the "Act of God" was your survival.   :o  (Of course, the parachute rigger deserves honorable mention.   ;))  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:41 PM »
There is still another side of the story.

I had entered pilot training through the Air National Guard pilot training quota.  If you quit or washed out, you would revert back to civilian status.

Halfway to completion, I started to have second thoughts about flying as a career, and decided to quit.  I never did really have a reason, except maybe difficulty hearing during frequent altitude changes.  I've spent the rest of my life going over the decision and saying: Why?

Nobody likes a quitter but if you aren't in it 100% then something needs to be done.

Anyway, I told my upper classman Tom Tuttle and we stayed up one night until 2:00 in the morning.  He said I was crazy to throw away the gift of a lifetime.  He tried and tried to talk me out of it, without success.

The next year Tom was landing a F-84 fighter at Detroit Wayne-Major, now Detroit Metropolitan.

There was a T-33 on the runway and mobile control told him to go around.  When he brought up the gear and flaps, somehow he lost the hydraulic pressure, and the aircraft went into vertical flight near the airport.  

It then rolled over on the back, and did a Split-S into the ground.  The flight path looks like the top part of the letter S.

Tom Tuttle was killed.  

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:29:10 PM by Michigunner »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »
Roc - that sounds like one neat bird you have there - how old is it - I thought I read where a cockatoo can live a long time.

Bil - maybe your decision was your guardian angel telling you something.  I know we have several pilots on the forum and many people will say it is safer than driving a car.  Only problem is if a car stops running you can always just pull over and call for a tow.

Talk about flying - time seems to be flying by lately.

Remember: life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:55:04 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »
Roc:

Thank you.  At least I would sell two copies -- one to you and one to my wife.  But there is also this consideration:

Writing a book is an adventure:
it begins as an amusement,
then it becomes a mistress,
then a master,
and finally a tyrant.

-- Winston Churchill

Regarding that magnificent cockatoo of yours, I recall that you once posted a photograph of it.  You must have others.  Let us see one or two.

Your story about your bird's learning to immitate the howl of your dog and the bark of your neighbor's dog brings to mind this old parrot joke:

A burglar cases a certain home until he is certain that all of the residents have left for the evening.  Upon reaching the home's entrance, he notices a decal on the front door reading, "WARNING!  PEMISES GUARDED BY PARROT!"

The burglar laughs, breaks through the door, and enters the house.  Sure enough, there in the foyeur is a parrot sitting on a perch.  

"Stupid bird," the burglar mutters as he moves toward the stairs.

Whereupon, the parrot tilts his head and screeches, "ALL K-9s . . . ATTACK INTRUDER!"
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 09:30:09 AM »
The bird, Gabriel, is about 4 years old now.  They can live anywhere from 50 to 100 years old.  We aren't positive she is a she, as it takes a blood test to determine.  Anyway, here is a photo with what we refer to as her "Pope hat" ;D  She is an Umbrella Cockatoo.

Here is another of her hunkering down on my wife's shoulder because she thought I was going to put her back on her cage.

She will hop on you or grab you with her beak as you walk by to perch on your shoulder if you aren't careful.  That is where the "Velcro Bird" moniker for Cockatoo's comes from as they love to be held.  You have to limit that or they will scream until they are picked up.  That is not a pleasant sound to have to eat your dinner to I can tell you.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:37:41 AM by Rocnerd »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 09:09:55 PM »
Roc:

That is one beautiful bird!  Thanks for the photographs.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:45 PM »
Thanks Roc - enjoyed the pictures - 50 plus years - that could eliminate the worry of outliving your pet.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for sharing your life altering experience with us.
I don't think it is a matter of quitting; sometimes that
takes more courage: it is simply a business decision
based on current events and gut instincts. Those
decisions should not be second guessed or regretted
in the future--we all do it. A good friend of mine and
a squadron mate who died off the Vietnam coast said
it well: "When an airplane talks to you, you had better
listen to it".

That little comet you saw probably defined your experience
and guided your decision.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »
Thank you, Tracker.  That means a lot to me, coming from someone like you.  I certainly appreciate what you said.

We are in northern Michigan right now.  I've been itching to shoot the pistol, but everyday is wind and rain.  There may be a short break in the weather tomorrow.

Our electricity was out 8 hours, so I got to use the new Coleman generator.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »
The weather sucks Dave and we have been lucky so far - all the crap is over your way and New England.  And boy are they getting soaked!

Trouble is it seems - very stationary system.  So have to grin and bear a bit more, like few days - better will come tho.  Glad you had the gen'y.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 12:40:58 AM »
Hey Chris - welcome back - haven't heard from you in several days - was hoping you didn't take a bike tumble.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 12:49:55 AM »
Oh my yes - had not been by in a short while - thx for the concern.  

No - it was more the workload and, this weekend I have been teaching NRA Basic Pistol - so rather tied up.  Bit of ''catch-up'' today too.

Sometimes I find one visit here per day is max - now and again I do miss a day or three. :)

Always good tho to stop by even briefly and see many friends.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
The mountain laurels are in full bloom at Critter Creek!   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"