Author Topic: Outside My Windows IV - Friends Around America  (Read 43817 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Outside My Windows IV - Friends Around America
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
Dave:

Those are beautiful photographs!  Given the idyllic setting in which you live, you don't need a pond.  Even so, if you have a spring on your property, it should be possible to construct a pond to your liking.  Otherwise, if your aquifer is shallow enough, you might still be able to consruct a pond in a suitable location and maintain it by a dedicated water well and an automatic pump.  My grandfather did much the same thing years ago on the family farm back in Oklahoma, using a windmill to operate his well pump.

The old man was clever by any standard.  Finding that he had a dependable spring on his homesteaded land, he built his house right on top of the thing and had "running" water in his kitchen long before indoor plumbing was commonplace.  He also built a large cistern beside the house in which he collected and stored rainwater from the roof.  That gave him a backup water supply even in times of drought when he might see his his spring run dry and his well water become murky.

He also dug a combination "root" and storm cellar in the back yard.  In the wintertime, he would cut blocks of ice from the pond, drag them to the cellar by horse-drawn sled, and stack them around the walls.  The ice would last until well into the summer months and provide a passable form of "cold storage" for foodstuffs.  

I often think how he would marvel at many of the everyday conveniences which we take for granted these days.    
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »
Richard,

My springs are down over the hill - if I did a pond would never see it without taking a hike.

The artifical pond like you said is possible - someday when we have the extra money maybe.

Your grandfather sounds like he was very inventive.  Back in those days many had to be.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:22:56 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »
Dave - love those pics :)

Never fails to amaze me how the antlers grow as they do - one of many natural miracles.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:25 PM »
Protect the Border

You are at the border - your job is to shoot anyone who crosses.

A little tastless - but all in fun.  Has sound.

http://content.boredmuch.com/game/1ca558fe692ebdd.swf

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:21:39 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2006, 09:31:54 PM »
Tasteless Dave - maybe - but fun too yes !!!  ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 10:42:51 PM »
Tom Watson   --  on the phone with Tom at the moment - his computer is down -- dave

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 12:13:25 AM »
Glad you checked, Dave.  I was worried about him, too.  He was not answering emails.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:13:48 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 09:48:20 AM »
Dave:

Thanks for the update on Tom.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2006, 05:03:56 PM »
guys, thank you so much for your concern. Everything is ok now that the phones are on and the DSL line is working and oh yah the new computer.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »
On a previous extension of this thread, I posted the following photograph of the bear which a local folk artist ("Granny" of Granny's Birds & Bears) had carved from the stump of a yellow pine tree that had snapped during a wind storm at Critter Creek.  On the ground behind the bear you can see an 8-foot log which had been cut from the downed portion of the tree.

Last weekend, I used our SUV to drag the log around to the fork in the compound's entrance driveway -- one fork leading to Critter Cabin and the other leading to Duck Cabin.  Then, using a 2-ton "Come Along" cable winch anchored to a nearby poplar tree, I hoisted the log into a hole I had dug, secured it with 80 pounds of Quickrete, bolted one of "Granny's" carved eagles on top, and mounted directional signs to the two cabins on the trunk.  Here is the result -- not a bad piece of work for an "old fossil," if I do say so myself.   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »
thank god for come alongs ;D
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 05:42:04 PM »
Neat work Richard, you put all the leaves back..   :D
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »
I agree, Tom.  "Come Alongs" are great devices.  You get a real sense of power ratcheting 600+ pounds off the ground with one hand.    :o

Yes, RJ, I was under strict orders to restore the surface of the ground and to avoid any damage to Joyce's hostas.    :P  (Mission accomplished!   ;))
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »
Richard - there I was digging holes for some last fence posts the other day (the hard way!) - and all along I could have left it to you :D

Nice job :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »
Richard - using a ""come along" - I thought you would pick that log up over your head and slam it into the hole - isn't that what the Richard of years past would have done?  :)