Author Topic: Best caliber for CCW?  (Read 23558 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Best caliber for CCW?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
Well I am somewhat comforted to hear you guys aren't too concerned about the terror situation. I do live in a metro area, but sometimes it's good to hear other's perspectives.  Thanks for the feedback.

Also good to know the spare single stack in the pocket should be plenty. I really don't want to be cumbered about with more than that.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »

I heard that ISIS is rebuilding some refineries and have cancelled their planned invasion of Indianapolis.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
I think some of your buddies with wings may have had a little something to do with that change of plans.

Well we all know that we already have radicals living here in the states. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Reminds me of a verse of scripture...

Don't worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
And besides, if in the ordinary course of civilian life I can't handle a "crisis situation" with 6+6, I figure I'm pretty well screwed anyway.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »
While this may not be your most poetic posts Richard I think it may sum up the way it is quite effectively and efficiently.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
Ok here is an opinion about compact or ultra compact pistols and their effectiveness. Please let me know if I error in some of these surmisings.

Based on this excellent link that Douglas posted  newtab:http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

It seems that what the fbi and other law agencies have deduced from their extensive studies is that the 3 main components for stopping a threat are

1) shot placement
2) penetration (minimum of 12")
3) permanent wound cavity

...in that order.

With that thought I looked at 3 popular compact carry guns (solo 9, shield .40, and XDS .45) in 3 different popular rounds on Bruce's mouse gun addict blog.

The results make me shy away from the .45 in the compact platform personally

It appears that either the .45 didn't expand therefore making it a gross over penetrator or when it did expand it fell short of the 12" desired minimum penetration.

The particular ammo used in both the 9mm and .40 expanded and penetrated wonderfully.

My take away is that with the proper ammunition a 9 is an excellent choice based on the following reasons...

1) Lots of rounds and it's the most accurate for me to shoot from a small platform = shot placement (hopefully)

2) the +p golden sabers were penetrating very well At 17.75" through 4 layers of denim and gel

3) the Average expansion of .524 was answering the wound cavity problem better than a non expanded .45

Looks like a 9 mm is a very effective weapon with the proper ammo and decent shot placement. I wonder if the venerable .45 in the short barrel (probably all changes with a full size 1911) is just not as effective as the 9 or .40 (while using hollow points) based upon the fbi criteria.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:36:48 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
Analizis the average self defense situation -

It's close in, and it happens fast. The truth is the best defense is 'Situational awareness' (avoid the conflict). But, if you can't, at least don't have a hair trigger, jam-a-matic in your pocket. You need a pull and shoot gun. I prefer DA/SA types. I had an LC9, but the safety was too hard to get off.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
That's interesting. In the recent hospital shooting the defending Doctor used the .32 Seecamp and was able with the help of others to stop his attacker. I'll bet he was happy he had a .32 Seecamp. And if that's all he could deep conceal daily into the hospital then more power to the .32 Seecamp. However in retrospect IF I had a was not working in a hospital environment and had the ability to carry a firearm large enough to utilize a .380 or better yet a 9mm it seems as though a potentially bad deal of having his attacker conscious and able to reload or ??????????

And all of this is after being shot 3 times with the .32 Seecamp.

Seems like a handgun battle in close quarters is risky business. I think that if a bigger, dependable firearm is available I want it. If not I'll take what I can get. Even if it is my Seecamp .32.

John Stuart Mill

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »
I think that any caliber is better than none at all. I would rather have my 25cal than nothing. I prefer my R9 but sometimes that is just too big or I don't want to risk losing it due to my location.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Agreed.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
I've never owned a .25...was told years ago by someone who should know that the .25 was more likely to irritate an attacker, especially one wearing heavier clothing, than to incapacitate him...the fellow though a .22 magnum would actually be a better round.  Anybody have any real info on this thought?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
I hear that, but I don't really like depending on a rim fire cartridge. That being said, I do still have a NAA little 22 mag.

I think I will look on Bruce's mouse gun addict to see penetration on a 22 mag vs a 25 acp.

I know the .22 mag doesn't expand well, but a .25 would probably require a head shot to protect against a serious attacker IMO.

I think their are enough other decent little .380 and bigger guns that the conversation shouldn't have to take place.

I would still take a 22 Magnum, 25 ACP, or 32 ACP over nothing though if it came down to it.

The .22 mag and .32 acp fmj far surpass the .25 acp in penetration according to Bruce's ammo tests. The .25 reputation is well deserved from the looks of it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:37:23 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
Jeff Cooper summed up his thoughts on a 25 ACP for protection this way:

"Your attacker having a face full of 25 slugs will probably give you an advantage in the fist fight that occurs after the gun fight."

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
The men kicked in the locked door, and the mother, armed with a .25-caliber handgun, demanded that they leave. When they refused, police said, the mother shot Mendez in the abdomen as he came toward her.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/crystal-lake-cary/chi-intruder-shot-by-homeowner-near-crystal-lake-20140903-story.html

;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »

There was probably at least 3 inches of fat penetration in his abdomen.