Author Topic: Finally!!  (Read 20459 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
Finally!!
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:04:12 AM »
Well, it has finally arrived  Number R274, and is everything I expected and than some!

The workmanship is excellent, and I'm no stranger to the fine fitting of tool and die.

I will go register it first thing this morning and take it out back to my range and give it a thorough wringing out, as I have a abundance of 9mm ammo.

Testing and range report pending!
mismatch

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Finally!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:35:27 AM »
That's good news, mismatch!  There's nothing like having a new pistol to enjoy.

You are fortunate to have your own shooting area.

We could have easily purchased a 20 acre family site in northern Michigan, but turned it down because of the long drive.

Now we have built a lake home 20 miles away, and the wooden land suddenly looks very good.  

We are going "up north" today, so I'll pick mine up on the way.

I'm looking forward to your range report.

Bill

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »
Congrats Mismatch! I got my call yesterday from K-5 but they just moved and I CAN'T PICK IT UP 'TILL THEY GET THEIR NEW FFL! In the meantime, post your experiences here and I'll enjoy yours vicariously.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:14:02 AM »
Ubik380,

I sure hope they get going on that FFL!  You need your pistol now.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:30:55 PM »
Hi guys, Enjoy your new pups. It seems ATF takes their time in issuing a new FFL.  Range reports when you can do them.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »
All good news, apart from FFL delays!

[size=13]I will go register it first thing this morning[/size]

Mismatch - ''register''?????
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:36:35 PM »
Chris,

Do you mean that in Pa. you don't have to register a new handgun at the local Police Station?  

That's not the case here in MI,... :'(
mismatch

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 04:58:05 PM »
Shoot it,then shoot it agian, then shoot it some more,have fun and congrats. ;D ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »
Holy Moly mismatch - no way, well not like that.  In PA I go buy, fill in 4473 and the white sheet (copy does go to Sheriff's office of course) - but no need to ''go'' and register.

I guess these days in one form or another we are all suffering registration - it is just more or less obvious depending on location.  Pretty hard to do much of anything without some database somewhere having it logged!! >:(
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »
I just picked up my R9s from the same dealer Michigunner and Mismatch used.

My wait was four months, but after holding MY gun in MY hot little hands, it was worth every day!  On my way home, I swung by the Waterford P.D.  In & out within 10 minutes.  CCW helps speed the process.

At home I immediately stripped my R9s down.  (During the wait I accumulated a good quality 1/16" punch, one of RJ's holsters, leather vise pads and an aluminum Stop Stick, Superlube grease, Mobil 1 oil, etc.)  You guys were right, this thing is a work of art!  I'll probably have to wait until Monday to fire it - Dang it.

I've been carrying a NAA Guardian .380.  Good piece.  No complaints after 1,000 rounds.  The difference in weight between the NAA  & the R9s is very noticeable.  I'm gonna appreciate that lower weight....   ;D

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 06:15:48 PM »
All good news, apart from FFL delays!

Mismatch - ''register''?????

Chris,
    In MI we do not call it Register..It is called a "Safety Check" ::) ::) ::) ???

This has went on forever but yes you have to go to whatever your local PD is and have it logged into the system..
We even get a nice little "green card" that says we did so.. ;)

Some areas have a limited time period during the day or week to do this in..I am lucky to live in one that is easy to go thru the process.. 8)

We all have our hoops to jump thru don't we??? :'(

BTW-You all that went thru John-You did'nt fall in his "pit" in the driveway did you??? :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 06:17:45 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 06:22:18 PM »
Guys, In Texas, we just need to fill out the yellow form and go thru the national back ground check (NICS) or with a carry license we can skip the NICS check.  That's it in a free state!!  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »
Tennessee is much like Texas in that regard.  Of course, Tennessee and Texas have many things in common -- such as Davy Crockett and his Volunteers, fine horses, world-class  bar-b-que, great country music, and a deep appreciation of the Second Amendment.  (We even share something in professional football, since the Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers.   ;))  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 07:34:37 PM »
Heck, today I just passed the guy $812 in an envelope and he handed me the gun in a Wal-mart parking lot.... ;D   No paperwork, ATF Form -- nada!

Of course, it's completely legal as a FTF transaction here in Florida.

Not having suitable fodder with me on this business trip, I promptly went to the closest Gun Shop for a box of Gold Dots and an inexpensive Uncle Mike's pocket holster (I know, heresy) until RJ can make a proper carry masterpiece for it.

Glad to finally have my R9s...
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 08:09:04 PM »
Congratulations, Fly!  

Next . . . "The Grim Reaper"?  I hope you get it.  I waited too long and missed out on an engraved 1911 RJ offered up for sale a few years ago.  It was known as "Betsy."  I still wake up at night on occasions and regret the circumstances which kept me from acquiring that pistol.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"