Author Topic: Do you "show and tell" your Rohrbaugh?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: Do you "show and tell" your Rohrbaug
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 09:16:22 AM »
My wife knows I have guns.  That is where her interest in the subject ends.  So why would I tell her I just bought a $1000 gun?
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 10:42:50 AM »
I told my wife the Rohrbaugh was widely considered to be heirloom quality.

She is intensely interested in acquiring antiques, so we both danced wildly through the house.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 10:44:34 AM by Michigunner »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Do you "show and tell" your Rohrbaugh?
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 10:54:01 AM »
A very good point..

Why would any sane person go any further than that? :D

It might go like this, "Hello sweet Wife, even though you have enabled me to buy all the guns I want by your lack of interest, but could you at least comment on the apparent lack of  restraint on my part, as to gun purchases ? :-/
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 11:20:01 AM »

Some very good friends were over recently and we were all in the office - I opened the safe to show Alan some stuff and wife says - " my, but you have a lotta stuff in there''.

Letting your wife know what's in your gun safe can be costly.  A couple of years ago, I was repeatedly urging my little wife to start carrying something larger than her NAA MiniMag and telling her that I would get her any pistol or revolver she wanted.  One day she announced that she had made her decision.  I was overjoyed, until I learned what decision she had made.  It turned out that she had found her weapon of choice while rummaging through my gun safe.  It was the weapon I called "my Dress Blue Sunday gun" -- a Seecamp .32 adorned with a pair of old ivory grips which cost almost as much as the pistol.  

Needless to say, title passed on the spot.   :'(
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline loliver

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 06:26:13 PM »
I learned about gun safety from my dad when I was a little kid.  One of his rules was to never tell school classmates about the guns in the house nor to ever "show and tell" the guns when kids came over to play.  His point was that it's not safe for the whole world to know what valuables you have locked away in the house, especially guns (stolen guns are easy currency in the bad guy business)  My buddies that I go shooting with all know about the guns, but to talk about guns with random friends at lunch doesn't seem wise.  You can trust your friends not to steal from you, but you don't know whom they are going to tell (your friend says to one of his after work hoops buddies "you should see the cool $1000 gun Erich has, he showed it to me at lunch today, he keeps it in his car")  My basic point is that you have to be careful to whom you "show and tell"

This is an excellent viewpoint that I never considered. I think I will be a little more thoughtful when showing my friends stuff that I own
thanks

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 04:11:38 AM »
Erich,
I like to show off my R-9. But not while I'm carrying it concealed. I will show it off at the local target range. I will even let others shoot it --if they are friends that I know will handle it correctly, and won't be upset by the "brisk" recoil. I was carrying it one day while at my local gun dealer. They had never seen a Rohrbaugh (I got my R-9 at a gun show) so they said they would like to see mine. I said "OK, may I step in to your back room?" They said yes, so I stepped into the back room. Discreetly took out my R-9, took the magizine out and cleared the round from the chamber. I returned to the front of the store, showed them the chamber was empty and then let them "fondle" it. They were all quite impressed by my pup. Another way I show off my R-9 is with pictures of it I've taken of it with the camera in my Motarola V710 cell phone. It takes great pictures, and has a nice large color screen to show them on. Even though I can't take my pup to work with me I can take the pictures of it with me, to show to my fellow workers who are interested in guns.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 04:22:57 AM by ed5380 »

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 04:20:01 AM »
When my wife asks, "...how many guns do you have?" I say "I don't know. How many Longaberger baskets do you have?" That usually ends the discussion. Although after she found out how much my R-9 cost I owe her quite a few Longaberger baskets.  ;)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 01:54:38 PM »
''How many guns do I have?''

''Exactly several''!! LOL ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2005, 05:48:32 PM »
My wifes answere has always been. If you can figure out how to buy it , go ahead .  
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline LCP

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
While at the range shooting my R9 the other day a couple of shooters thought it was a NAA.  I was quick to point out it was not. They were impressed at the size of the pistol in 9mm.