Author Topic: First range trip – Very disappointing  (Read 14455 times)

Offline jarcher

• Master
Re: First range trip – Very disappointing
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »
Hm, also, maybe the magazine springs will weaken a bit if I leave the mags loaded (which I would do normally).  If the mag springs were a bit weaker the round might be less pront to get trapped in the mag as the cartridge ram tries to scoop it forward...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: First range trip ? Very disappointing
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 06:57:08 PM »
I don't think the mag springs need to be worried about too much - tho periodical empty, relax spring and recharge can be helpful I think  It also allows one to see that nothing is holding up mag follower.

Just a thought - something you can check easily - if you go to FAQ site I have pics of magazine in pieces.  Dismantle each and with everything out - run follower up and down - no spring.  Just a means to ensure there is no foreign matter or burr - that just might make it snag.  Hopefully that will simply prove no problems.

Tapping the mag is maybe a good practice to adopt.  With IDPA I tend to whack a mag's rear surface against my thigh... not a bad precaution.

Not sure of OAL on FMJ blazers but the 115 and 124 JHP GD's were IIRC an OAL of approx 1.124 or so - some other ammo was most definitely shorter - and I got impression that shorter ammo was both more inclined to allow a malf' - as well as being more likely to lead to rounds having a tumble tendency.  Hydrashocks measure considerably shorter BTW.

I would expect the gun should be A1 - but being a thorobred it can be a bit picky it seems at times - until grip, ammo selection etc is all ideal.

I'll be putting some thru mine again soon I expect - and will watch carefully re mag aspects.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First range trip – Very disappointing
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 12:46:25 PM »
>>Chris...

For the fun of it I just measured a handful of .115 CCI Blazer FMJ which I got from AMMOMAN.COM a while back...also measured some .115 GDHP from same source.  I didn't have a fancy digi micrometer like the one jarcher used (and is probably more accurate than my tool)...had some regular old dial calipers, and there was a difference measured between the two...which could be either the calipers or ammo, go figure.  For instance = jarcher measured OAL of GDHP at 1.115", while I got 1.122".  On the Blazer ammo I got an average of 1.150" OAL = nice and long at any rate...TW<<
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 12:47:46 PM by TW »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »
TW - I wonder whether there are any batch variations - guess there will be some - tho small it would be hoped.  Your 1.122 is pretty much along with my 1.124 .. so pretty close.  The 1.150 tho for FMJ - sounds good - 1.169 is a quoted OAL for ball ammo - seems like not much around these days that is not on short side.

I certainly think the pup prefers the longer rounds.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 02:13:32 PM »
R9Scarry, It does seem that the longer round heads for hole better and doesn't stand up like the shorter round and catch the slide.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »
Another range trip.  4 magazines, 6 or 7 failures to feed.  I don't know what to do at this point.  I'm open to suggestions.

:'(

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 09:12:56 PM »
Call Rohrbaugh and tell them about problems and send it to them.     Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 10:17:41 PM »
Call Rohrbaugh and tell them about problems and send it to them.

Tom, it just came back from Rohrbaugh.  They said it is fine.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I have tried grippng it hard, making sure my wrist is locked and so on.  Today, it even did this with FMJ ammo.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 10:39:27 PM »
Puzzling in the extreme - just wish I could be there and do some comparisons - try yours - you try mine - various rounds etc.  So hard to decide what's wrong from a distance!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 01:11:54 AM »
>>jarcher...

Where are you located...?  Perhaps he/she is near to another R9 owner who can help here...?...TW<<

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 01:32:23 AM »
That's a great idea.  I'm in Rhode Island and I'm willing to do some driving.  If someone else could fire it, and I could fire theirs, that would sure tell us if it's me or thr gun...

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 12:25:48 PM »
Jar, I'm in Maryland on the coast, long drive. I will have two to compare to. Did you replace your original mags because I have one mag that I know causes hang ups?
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 01:58:31 PM »
>>I live in Northern Virginia, have two guns and seven mags to compare with...TW<<

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2005, 02:28:40 AM »
Thanks guys...  I think VA and MD are a bit far though.  I could fly down, but that seems like a bit much to test a firearm.  I greatly appreciate the offers.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2005, 06:52:16 AM »
>>Anybody here with an R9 from New York state, or Eastern Pennsylvania - someone close to Rhode Island...willing to meet jarcher at a range to compare R9 notes and shooting techniques...???????  Somebody...?...TW<<