Author Topic: First range trip – Very disappointing  (Read 14461 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: First range trip – Very disappointing
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2005, 05:56:58 PM »
I shot my R9s for the first time today. Overall, it was a great expereince and I understand why others have made comments regarding the unlikelihood of firing the R9 a lot. It's a small gun with a serious cartridge and I quit after a half box of ammo.

Of the 25 rounds fired I did have one cartidge fail. It is not unlike what others have experienced; the bullet head jammed against the feed ramp interface and the slide ran only half way home.

I was using 115 gr. American Eagle FMJ and will get some of the ammo recommended on this forum for home use. I would rather experience a jam at the range than in a real situation against a bad guy.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: First range trip ? Very disappointing
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2005, 01:43:38 AM »
ACP - check out my FAQ site and the links to ammo tests - or just go get some Speer Gold Dots!  115's or 124's - both seems emminently ideal.  Plus I like the expansion consistency and characteristics.

Glad you had a good session - doesn't need too much ammo to feel enough is enough eh! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2005, 06:15:03 PM »
Chris,

Yeah, it was a handful and my hand hurt, (in a very good way), after a half box. I decided to give my hand a rest with my 1911.

Thanks for the information, to others on the website as well, regarding Gold Dots.

I get it but my guy has to order standard velocity Gold Dots as he only stocks +P.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First range trip – Very disappointing
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2005, 12:34:41 AM »
>>ACP...

Another good round for the R9 is .115gr. CCI Blazer with Brass cashings and FMJ head.  This is what they test the guns with at the factory, and it actually feels even lighter recoil than Winchester White Box stuff of same setup.

Probably your cheapest and easiest method of buying both the Blazer and Speer GDHP is through Ammoman.com .

Enjoy, and be safe...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »
TW - question.  

I am open to correction but as I remember, I had thought Eric said they used Blazer with aluminum cases!  I recall something about Blazer brass showing a poor (unsharp) relief in the rim and so extraction issies.

I do know the Blazer has the same Speer bullets and so is from that angle excellent.  I have fired aluminum case GD's with great success.

So - need to clarify here - as my memory ain't the most reliable.  Anyone else too remember on this?.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First range trip ? Very disappointing
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2005, 01:28:49 AM »
TW - question.  

I am open to correction but as I remember, I had thought Eric said they used Blazer with aluminum cases!  I recall something about Blazer brass showing a poor (unsharp) relief in the rim and so extraction issies.

I do know the Blazer has the same Speer bullets and so is from that angle excellent.  I have fired aluminum case GD's with great success.

So - need to clarify here - as my memory ain't the most reliable.  Anyone else too remember on this?.

>>Chris...

My recollection says go with brass, brass...and that's what I've used with good success.  So unless someone around here with a "younger" memory can clarify...I guess one of us will need to remember to run that one by Eric or Maria one of these days.  

It sure would be nice if the Rohrbaugh folks would once again start communicating with e-mail...would make things like the current question such a breeze to address...!  Such is life **TW mumbles under breath about frickin lowlife screwing things up**
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 01:30:27 AM by TW »

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2005, 02:38:28 AM »
I recall Karl telling me they test wqith Blazer, but I don't recall if he said brass or aluminum.  Does it really matter?  Is anyone here going to carry FMJ range ammo of any type for self defense purposes?  I think the only tests that matter are those with the SD ammo that will be carried.    

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2005, 11:44:17 AM »
Yes but - the aluminum stuff I tested WAS SD - it was the Speer God Dot bullets - either 115 or 124.

Anyways, I reckon as soon as TW or I have a chance we'll check this out.  Perhaps anyone able to go to Water & Wings shoot can ask Eric then - only coupla weeks.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First range trip ? Very disappointing
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »
Yes but - the aluminum stuff I tested WAS SD - it was the Speer God Dot bullets - either 115 or 124.

Anyways, I reckon as soon as TW or I have a chance we'll check this out.  Perhaps anyone able to go to Water & Wings shoot can ask Eric then - only coupla weeks.

The Blazer stuff I've tested was round ball (same as Rohrbaugh factory uses, I think...but need to verify)...TW<<  

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2005, 07:08:20 PM »

Ah, okay.  I didn't know there was any Blazer JHP ammo.  Where do you get this?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2005, 08:02:38 PM »
Forget where I got it - most likely a True Value store in the area - saw it and snapped it up last year.  The box end info might help.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2005, 09:53:07 AM »
jarcher,
Have the demons been exorcised from your R9 or are you still having problems?
I'm curious because I'm having very similar problems and I'm not positive, but I think all the failures have been on the 3 round.
Bill

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2005, 03:20:01 AM »
jarcher,
Have the demons been exorcised from your R9 or are you still having problems?

Hi Bill...

Well, I must confess I have not been to the range pretty much all summer.  I carry the R9s on occasion on the theory that I will get at least one shot off if I need to.  I should get to the range though.  This weekend os the club field day, so range closed, but maybe mid next week I can get over there and let you know.  I have some GDHP I can try...

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2005, 07:52:02 PM »
Okay, I got to the range today with my Bushmaster M4, my Sig 220ST and my R9s.  It was a beautiful day to be outside!  The M4 and 220 worked great.  The R9 had a few issues, but not as bad as in the past.

I brought a big box of Speer 115gr GDHP and also some blazer 115gr FMJ.  The R9s was, of course, clean and also lubed with the recomended super lube.  I watched carefully how I fired each shot, making sure to keep my thumbs away from the slide and to keep a good solid grip and tight wrist.  

I fired about 60 or so rounds, mostly the GDHP.  The first two magazines, or 12 rounds, were fine.  The third may have been fine as well, I didn't keep a careful record today.  Overall, I experienced 4 failures.  Two of these were failure to feed with GHDP, where the round is tipped up with the bullet up against the top and rear of the chamber.  The third failure was also of this type, but with the blazer FMJ.

The last failure was a brand new trick.  It was a failure to extract.  When the slide went back, the casing didn't come with it out of the chamber.  This was fairly late in the shooting session, and I suspect that some gunk got under the extractor so it did not properly latch on to the casing.  

I don't quite know what to make of this.  Karl told me that as far as he is concerned, the pistol works very well.  I used the ammo you guys all tell me is the most reliable and even tried some FMJ, which should feed perfectly.  Maybe I should find a ransom rest.  A ransom rest won't "limp wrist" and if it fails in that then it's hard to blame the shooter.  

Still, it could have just gotton dirty quickly.  If I can get it to reliably fire the first 14 rounds that would be okay.  Pondering...

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2005, 01:59:51 AM »
Jarcher
Check how Erich found out what was causing his jams on his 9/24/05 posts - interesting.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1127354827;start=15

I also see that some have solved jams by careful polishing of the throat.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."