Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 11505 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Hello...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 07:58:47 AM »
Jessica:

As for holsters, Bill's post has pretty much set forth the definitive word on that subject.

As for ammunition, Chris's FAQ site has the results of some extensive tests he conducted:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

The Speer Gold Dots are my choice for a carry load, although I believe Karl Rohrbaugh loads his personal R9 with Winchester Silvertips.  Other Forum members have settled on other loads. Winchester "White Box" FMJ seems to be generally accepted as a suitable practice load.  Your "pup" (the R9, not that magnicient Rottweiler) may prefer something different.

Good luck with your new R9, and stay safe.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:31:59 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 12:56:55 PM »
Jessica,
I don't think I would carry the S&B in the R9. A lot of
foreign ammo has hard primers and I would stay with the
ammo that Richard suggested; much better to use the
tried and true rather than the unknown.  

Offline R9GiRl

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 02:15:31 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  My Rottie is about 18 months old and his name is DaVinci.  I got him when he was 5 weeks old right after my husband was shot and killed by a sniper in Iraq.  I only have my Rott, my R9S, and the jewelry I wear to make it appear I have a husband near by to deter the criminal element.  Maybe I'm asking too many questions but I'm paranoid now and really appreciate everyone's help.  I'm 27 and want to protect myself and 2 children.  You all are so nice, thank you...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
You just keep right on asking whenever the mood suits you.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 07:22:52 PM »
R9Girl,

Welcome to the forum!! ;D

You picked a pup, and hope you enjoy it!!

It should take care of you fine with the proper diet.. ;)

Again,Welcome..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline groo

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 07:25:26 PM »
Groo here
 About your husband "Hero" is the only word that comes to mind,
  About ammo , the R9 is like a sports car it likes to be feed what
  it likes not what you like.
   Mr "K"  [aka Roharbaugh ] Told me to try winchester
    Super Clean NT  SC9NT ammo if all else fails.
  This is used by some LE types on the east cost where hollow
 points are not allowed  and looks like a good softpoint that
 will also be allowed in indoor shooting ranges as there is no lead.
 For carry I use a pocket type most of the time.
  It will fit in the pants pocket, or the inside pocket of a jacket,coat or vest . mine is  nylon and at worse may need a
 saftypin to help hold it in place. Brigade has some clothing or
 tee shirts with pockets that will work under loose clothing.
 The R9 is  small light and thin so  use your head.  Ladies
 frill or lace  pleats  hand bags etc.
 Remenber  to gun safe your kids!!!!!
 If they are too young then lock up your R9 at home or keep it
 on you at all times, so you know where it is.
 Also invest in a shotgun if you want home defence< it is harder
 for small children to make work.
 Good luck  and contaqt any of us if you need.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:23 PM »
My condolences about your husband!  We are sorry for your loss and appreciate what he and his colleagues are doing over there despite what the so-called "mainstream" media would have us believe.

On the subject of purses, I had my wife pick one out from here:

http://www.coronadoleather.com/

Purse carry allows carrying a bigger gun.  It also requires you to keep your purse under your control at ALL times.  I am getting my wife one with a locking zipper just in case she must leave it unattended in a low risk environment.

Also, be aware that if you are surprised, your attacker is likely to guess that any weapon you may have would most likely be in your purse.  Expect to be quickly separated from your purse.  So, awareness must be even greater than for on-body carry.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
Jessica - humble apolagies for not having said ''Hi'' and welcome before. :)

Not much to add otherwise right now on this thread, except to share my own sadness at your loss.  We are a small band here (well, the active posters) - and you have I think already realized you are among friends.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 08:44:48 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  My Rottie is about 18 months old and his name is DaVinci.  I got him when he was 5 weeks old right after my husband was shot and killed by a sniper in Iraq.  I only have my Rott, my R9S, and the jewelry I wear to make it appear I have a husband near by to deter the criminal element.  Maybe I'm asking too many questions but I'm paranoid now and really appreciate everyone's help.  I'm 27 and want to protect myself and 2 children.  You all are so nice, thank you...

Tracker is right -- "You just keep right on asking whenever the mood suits you."

Your husband made the ultimate sacrifice for his country, and your loss and that of your children is immeasurable.  Just know that there are a lot of hard-core patriots on this Forum, many of whom are grizzled veterans -- Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, LEO, and "acronym agency" -- all of whom can be counted on to honor your late husband's service, to extend profound sympathy to you and your children, and to wish you well.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 09:44:36 PM »
O.K. so I went out and got a Pachmayr #4 slip on at the gun show in San Antonio. Fits perfect and compliments the gun for my petite hands and, in my opinion, the astethics of R9S.  Now I want the trigger extension so, I believe it to be a Pearce compatible with Kahr's MK9/K9/K40 right?  I understand I will have to "sculpt" the extension to the R9's magazine release.  Now the hard part... I cannot for the life of me find a holster.  I am pretty petite and usually wear form fitting clothing.  I've come to the sad conclusion that I will have to buy a smart carry or the like. I guess the best in concealment for my frame.  Just look like a pair of depends undergarments that some moths got a hold of.  Maybe I'm too critical. Does anyone know of a good concealment holster for small bodied women?

Do you mean magazine extension? I noticed you mentioned trigger extension but also that the magazine release would need modified.

Offline R9GiRl

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:40 PM »
 :'( WoW! I am beyond the feeling of pride and elation to be a part of such a wonderful group of people.  It is a true rarity in today's time. I was really apprehensive joining this group as this is the only forum I am or have ever been a part of.  I deeply thank everyone for their kind words and reminders of the wonderful man, father, and hero I married.  We were together since high school, college and finally married the day before he was deployed.  (He was a computer engineer making 6 figures and left that to help our country.)  I would like to extend a very big thank you to every veteran, law enforcement personnel, and every other law abiding individual and their families involved in making America a free entity.  Now only if others, to include our government, were only as grateful.  Seems "people" put a name on a tax funded memorial feel that says thank you enough.  America needs to remember our veterans and their service.  So many expendable pawns used to participate, in my opinion, somewhat redundant conflicts.  I understand some reasonings behind helping another country but, I guess when you stick your nose into world politics to keep a portrayal of supremacy in the arms race or keep "big brother" image over a period of time and money, it's too late.  ANYWAYS, a whole different topic of discussion...I am proud to be american and hope our new cabinet will instill a little more hope for our future.  (I really hope I am not offending anyone, if so, I apologize.)   Back on topic,...to clarify, yes the magazine pinky extension mod.  This along with all the great advice given to me about holsters, concealment, are my next venture with the R9.  I haven't even shot it yet!  (I'm scared of the recoil, I admit it.)
If anyone has these magazines already modified and are willing to sell them, I would not hestitate to pick them up from you as I am mechanically challenged.  Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your welcome...Jessica of TX....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:07:37 PM by R9GiRl »

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 12:55:51 AM »
R-9 girl, F.Y.I. Thier has been some expierimentation with a modified floorplate. Some of them have Pinky extensions. Contact Karl at Rohrbaugh with inquireis. The modifications I have were done to facilitate reliable function, So they may not fit in your R-9.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 09:14:52 AM »
: * * * I haven't even shot it yet!  (I'm scared of the recoil, I admit it.) * * *

Jessica:

It's natural to be apprehensive of the recoil of a 13 oz. 9mm the first time you fire it.  Don't worry, though.  The recoil of the R9 is stout but entirely manageable.  (A Smith & Wesson .500 "Snubbie," it's not.)  When you fire your R9, just take care to employ a firm grip.  So-called "limp wristing" has been known to cause more than a few malfunctions with this little "pocket rocket."  Like a spirited horse, it performs best with a tight rein.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 09:26:52 AM »
Nice looking dog.

Offline mtarnold5

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »
Hello,  I too am sorry for the loss of your husband. I have 3 kids, and god forbid, if I lost my wife........I am not sure what I would do. I must say though your husband was a very lucky man.....to have such a smokin' hot wife who has excellent taste in firearms, 2 kids, and obvously a very nice house. I think he did really, really good for his short time on earth. But anyway back to the subject at hand.......when I first got my pup (R9s.....not rottie), I was expecting some wicked recoil also, but it never came. It is not that bad at all. If you have shot  previously......I predict you will have no trouble at all. You are small framed......but look to be in good shape, so holding the gun firmly should not be an issue. In fact, with your hand being smaller than a mans......you will probably control it better than some men. I have shot my pup 120 rds. so far.......with only 1 failure. I believe it was my fault though (limpwristing). I have used Radway 95 gr. jsp (50 rds.), Winchester  115 gr. jhp, and even 20 rds. of  Sellier and Beliot.   Hope you like your gun as much as I  like mine..........Take care and good luck!

Mike Arnold