Author Topic: Still Considering.....  (Read 12890 times)

Offline Bubbaman

Still Considering.....
« on: November 25, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »
I've been quietly observing the forum for a while now. The whole R-9 platform seems wonderful, especialy when you consider that the Kel-Tec P3AT is only .380. But........ I'm amazed at the number of posts, discussions, etc. concerning failures to feed, and the many other issues. The Rohrbaugh web site almost leads you to believe that these little pistols are "custom" guns. How long has the R-9 / R-9s been on the market now? I recently read a post by the forum founder (sorry - can't remember your name) about all the other manufacturers having problems, too. There is one HUGE difference, though. Rohrbaugh only makes ONE pistol! I'm not bashing here, I've actually been considering purchasing an R-9s. Will someone please tell me why I should pay $900-$1000 for a Rohrbaugh? I'd like to see some good news for a change. :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 02:38:05 PM by Bubbaman »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Still Considering.....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:50:52 PM »
Welcome Bubbaman :)

Well yes - we have had numerous discussions re some problems - and I guess superficially at least it might seem like the pup is plagued with trouble.  However, the ratio of problems to no problems is heavily in favor of no problems!!  It's like news - bad news is invariably more apparent than good.!

My first R9 was received about May 2004 and so I guess we can say that close to two years is coming up, for the pistol to have been selling openly.

I don't actually IMO feel that the manufacturer ''only'' making one pistol has a lot of relevence when it comes to any problems - it is more I think a ''model'' thing - and so other manufacturers who make more than one can still have problems with their more diminutive offerings.  Consider too - some of the 1911 ''loaded'' guns - and how often people pay $1500 and more, only to have initial problems - this is not confined to just small guns - tho I think as far as the smaller guns go, the more likelehood there could be for hiccups - due to even more demanding criteria.

As far as paying the high cost - well - that is down for most of us I think to wanting what is really about the ultimate in pocket pistols, that offers a 9mm caliber.  The development/ gestation period for this gun was necessarily long - the tolerancing is tight and most of the gun is made in house, with great attention to hand assembly and QC.  This all makes for inevitable high costs - in fact I reckon the payback time on overall investment will be long in coming.

I think any individual will have to weigh the pro's and con's for themselves - and here is about the best place to check it out - but, trying to read thru not just the posts about problems - try and get the overall picture.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:17:50 PM »
There is another factor here and that is that bad news
travels faster and with more gravity than good news. I
am sure that a lot of us who have experienced flawless
functioning have just said nothing.  

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I have a question. What is recoil like with say 124 grain Gold Dots? And I agree that 9mm will certainly be nice to have as a true "pocket pistol". Also, what is the trigger like on the Rohrbaugh? The P3AT is pretty good for a "cheap" pistol, and the trigger on the PM9 is good, too. Where does the R-9 fall in the smoothness and weight categories? Seems like someone said it was like butter......... I like butter. :)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:28:38 PM »
Trigger - 7# almost exactly - and indeed yes - butter!!  Creep is not in the gun's vocabulary!  I'd go so far as to say - it is probably the sweetest DA only trigger out there.

My son tried mine for first time a week ago and was amazed at the trigger.  The mechanism too is IMO unique - those who have had right grip panel off to see it will know what I mean.

Here is one pic from a set on my FAQ site to show this a bit -

Recoil is not too different for me between 115, 124 or even 147 come to that.  It is brisk and snappy - but to be expected from such a small platform - and it is essential to have a very firm and controlled grip - not a gun for whimpy hold!  Practice on this makes perfect for most.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »
R9SCarry -

How about recoil compared to the Kel-Tec P3AT? It's only .380 but it's lighter.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »
When I had my P3-AT I found that decidedly less comfortable to shoot than R9 - tho I will say again - the R9 is not actually 'comfortable' of course. ;).  Let's just use the euphemism - a tad ''agressive'' LOL.

The .380 is quite a snappy round and certainly in the P3 was for me less desirable than the R9 with 9mm.  The .380 is much nicer thru my (my wife's now!) Bersa Thunder.

Maybe some folks here with Mustangs, NAA GUardians etc can comment on those too compared with R9 and recoil.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »
Hmmmmm..... I should have asked you about the difference in the R-9 recoil and the PM9. I just sold a PM9 and know it well. The PM9 and R-9 are only 2 or 3 ounces different. Ever shot a PM9?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 05:59:20 PM by Bubbaman »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:03:37 PM »
I think I tried a PM9 just once but really have a job remembering it well.  

Best I can think is - there was just a shade more gun to get hold of - and so a measure easier to control.  There are folks here with PM9's tho and so they can better answer that.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 06:10:47 PM »
Thanks again. I think I saw where someone recently received a new shipment of R9s in. I may get with him. I'm also an FFL dealer. ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »
Bubbaman:

Welcome to the Forum.

I own both the Guardian .380 and the R9.  Bearing in mind that felt recoil is highly subjective, I find my G380's recoil, even with +P ammunition, to be a little less than that of my R9.  I would describe the R9's recoil as "stout" but entirely manageable.

As to the cost of the R9, the best simply costs more  -- more to manufacture and more to purchase.  I have one of the first R9s sold to the public and am pleased to report that it has shown no vices.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
I had a Guardian in .32 but I hated the trigger. I guess there are folks who do trigger jobs on them...... I like the P32 better than the P-3AT. I think it just works better in that platform. I'd sure like to check out an R-9.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »
The Guardian has a repeat striker capability; the P32 and the P-3AT don't.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 07:51:37 PM »
Welcome Bubbaman.

As already been stated here there has been much discussion with some R9 problems but they are a minority.  For the owners though that is little comfort.  The big difference is the great customer support from Rohrbaugh.  I had a new Colt that jammed on anything but ball ammo.  Sent it back.  Got it back four months later - still only functioned well on ball.  Hard to get anyone to talk to you at Colt.  Not so with Rohrbaugh if there is a need.

As to spending $1000 - depends on the person.  If that much would cause you financial problems go for something else.  You can pay that much for a custom pocket knife.  Because I like quality I bought a R9, and the R9 is one of a kind.  In fact just got my second R9 - traded a pocket knife for it.  There is a thread on that under "General Discussion".  

You are welcomed to jump aboard.
Daved
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 11:08:37 PM »
Thanks Dave. I understand quality, and after years of work and the blessing of the Lord, money isn't as hard to come by now. But I'm careful / cautious where that money goes, at least most of the time. :D