Author Topic: Still Considering.....  (Read 12978 times)

Offline Bubbaman

Re: Still Considering.....
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 11:44:32 AM »
After looking at the R9 specs I can see that the dimensions are extremely close to the P-3AT. How about recoil? Is the R9 less punishing? My big concern right now is the cracked slides. I understand that customer service is wonderful. However.... what is the underlying problem? Is it a materials issue, a production issue, or worse - a design issue?

Please remember that we all purchased the P3AT with the expectation that it might have to be returned to the factory to get it working.

I haven't had to send back a Kel-Tec. But my point is this. Kel-Tecs are $250.00 pistols. You can afford to tinker with them alot for the difference in the R9 price tag. You shouldn't have to send back a $950.00 pistol. Also, Kel-Tec has been great about fixing their issues - just like Rohrbaugh. So, is part of the decision to purchase an R based on the semi-custom name that it has? Or the price that you pay? I've lurked around for a while now and don't seem to see any more problems with the Kel-Tec than I do with the Rohrbaugh. :-/

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 12:23:26 PM »
If price versus reliability were the issue
 people would only buy chevys, fords, etc.,
 instead of porsches and ferraris; and they would
only buy timex's instead of rolexes anf patek phillipes.

I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec and let Teddy Jacobson
make it a magnificent piece but do I love it more than
my two series 70 Gold Cups? probably not.

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 12:40:16 PM »
 :D All my Fords have been as reliable as a Porsche or Ferrari. Timex does what Rolex does for .005 of the price!

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 12:52:57 PM »
Bubbaman,

I guess it just depends on whether you want one, or not.  It probably would not be worth the extra money for you, when you already have an excellent solution.

I never had any problem with my P3AT.  If your Kel-Tec is totally reliable, it makes a terrific carry piece.

Many of us here receive great enjoyment from the obvious quality of the R9S.  I like to look at it, and hold it.

Meanwhile, that P3AT gets the job done.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 12:59:20 PM »
[size=13]Hey R9SCarry - how do the two pistols compare, as far as concealability goes?[/size]

Bubbaman - I do think the P3 has an ''edge'' for carry - solely because it is a fraction lighter and is maybe less likely to show if in no holster - but the difference is not much.  After that tho it's apples and oranges IMO!

Re cracked slides - I'd all but ignore that - it's a temporary glitch which is being put right when needed and due to a small batch of billets which were metalurgically imperfect it seems now.

As for recoil - I'd say that the P3 is, or was, for me a less pleasant experience!  Let's say too perhaps - .380 in P3 is similar to 9mm in R9.  Both pretty ''snappy'' ;)

BTW - having now found some grip tape - have applied this to my carry R9 and the difference in feel is quite profound.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 01:05:18 PM »
Chris,

I'm delighted to hear that the grip tape makes a profound difference for you.

At the risk of beating this subject to death, I could not have continued using my R9S, except Steve mailed me some of his tape.  Now, all is well.

For anyone interested, you don't have to wrap it around the grip.  A little bit on the front and back is sufficient.

Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 01:50:24 PM »
Bubbaman,
I would advise you to save your money and stay
with the Keltec.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 03:17:41 PM »
I also think Bubbaman will be happier if he stays with the Kel-Tec.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 03:27:21 PM »
Bill - so I don't go off topic on this thread - I'll post a coupla pics soon of my own grip-tape useage.  That'll help folks compare with what they have done or others might plan to do.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2005, 03:49:36 PM »
Thanks, Chris.

I am very interested in seeing it.

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2005, 03:57:26 PM »
Bubbaman,

You can't compare the number of "issues" with firearms by the number of posts on a forum.  I don't think anyone yet knows what the slide cracks are relating to, but I trust it will all be resolved.

For bang for the buck, Kel-Tecs are great guns.  It is hard though to compare what you get with a KT to what you get with a Rohrbaugh.  I don't think it is "name" so much as it is top notch quality.  There are also those who want a true pocket sized pistol in 9mm, not .380 ACP.

If price is a big concern, I wouldn't try to talk you into a Rohrbaugh.  I hope you don't take that the wrong way -- its not meant to be snobby -- just the truth.  You may be the kind who will spend $5,000 on a watch, but don't want to spend $950 on a gun.  Its not necessarily a "wealth" issue -- its a preference.  Honestly, most if not all of us could afford to spend $1,000 on a gun to protect our lives and our families -- but you don't have to spend that much.

If the R-9 floats your boat -- great.  Join the party.  If not, the Kel-Tecs will serve you well.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:03 PM »
You know.... you guys are great. I appreciate honesty. Money isn't the issue. It's whether it's worth the money for what you get. I have a Nighthawk Customs Talon II, a $2,200.00 pistol, that I absolutely love.

But you see, I have never heard ONE bad thing about a Nighthawk. My experience with them is exceptional. So, with them, it's worth it for me because I do feel that it is a work of art. Now, the R9 and R9-s..... I love what I've seen of them. From what I've heard, customer service is top notch with them also. It all boils down to reliabilty, dependability, function, etc. I have a P-3AT that I carry, mostly when it's warm enough for no jacket. Maybe by the time the Spring rolls around I'll feel confident enough with Rohrbaugh to buy an R9-s. For the cool weather, since I wear a coat alot while checking work (I'm a commercial drywall and acoustical ceiling contractor, as well as an FFL dealer), I'm carrying my Springfield Micro Compact .40. It's at Fireblade Systems getting a little spruced up. I know that 9mm is better than 380 for pocket carry, but I'll have to justify the extra $700.00 first. :o Thanks guys, your imput is greatly appreciated. I'd still like to see pics of an R, on or next to a P-3AT.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2005, 10:32:32 PM »
Bubbaman - you have not been to my FAQ site then - tsk, tsk!!!

Let me find a link to the page where that pic exists - not one over other but still a pic showing both.  The page of several comparisons referred to is HERE

For this post tho - here is a pic with a P32 followed by the P3AT one.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline ken

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 11:15:26 AM »
Simply put there is NO comparison of the Kel-Tec guns and the Rohrbaugh. The quality is light years apart and the R9 is I think really not expensive for what you get. No problems with mine. For info purposes the PM9 and R9S are very similar in felt recoil. You have to hold on to both to function well. In 40 years of shooting, reloading and fooling around with guns and hunting, I have had fail to fire quit a few times, in ALL kinds of firearms and calibers. Many of those times a second hit with the firing pin would let off the round. Here is where I fill the R9 has a great advantage with a hammer instead of a striker. All you have to do is keep pulling the trigger to keep hitting the primer. With the other method of course you only have one chance before you have to work the slide. All the other features are great on the R9 as well. The concept was for a quality, small, DAO, and powerful conceal carry gun. It is exactly what I was looking for. I thank the Rohrbaughs for putting it together.  It is a great execution of it’s intended purpose, has to be remembered. The R9s is to carry in your pocket, the PM9 works great in a holster, the Kel-Tec guns are for plinking. The Kel-Tec guns are fun to shoot but questionable as to risking your life with one. I have two and have had serious problems with both.
Ken

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 12:01:46 PM »
I have a KelTec P32 that works well, although I do worry about the .32 "rimlock" issue.  I generally don;t carry the .32 because, well, it's a .32.  

I know people with other KelTecs and I have to saw I think they are all, even mine, junk.  I waited with great anticipation for the P3AT.  When it turned out to be a lemon, I bought the R9s.  I see the P3at is now in it's second incarnation and is still a lemon.

A friend of mine has a P-11.  After three trips back to KT it's still goes click more than it goes bang.