Author Topic: Still Considering.....  (Read 13004 times)

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
Re: Still Considering.....
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2005, 12:55:20 PM »
If you have a Black and Decker circular saw that you paid $39 for and it does everything you need it to do, there is almost no reason to buy a $300 Dewalt.

If your needs are more specialized, and you want a little more power and a lot higher quality, then you might spring for the far more expensive tool.  

I moved up the the R9 from a Keltec P32 because I wanted both more power and more accuracy, and I was willing to pay four times the price for it.  Is it 4 times as powerful?  No.  4 times more accurate? No.  And since my P32 was/is flawless so far, I can't say the R9 is more reliable, either.  

And yet, yesterday I was looking at pocket knives on Ron Graham's forum that cost even more than a Kel-Tec, and there are knives out there that cost more than a R9.  Are they worth it?  Maybe to some, but I'm not ever likely to spend $250 on a pocket knife, unless I win the lottery, or have real reason to believe that I will have to defend my life with a knife in the immediate future.  Neither of those situations is likely, so I'll stick with my little Chive and save my money for ammo.

No one else can tell you if a purchase is "worth it" to you.  They can only tell you if it was "worth it" to them.  You have to decide for yourself which you want more, your money or another really expensive gun.

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2005, 05:25:05 PM »
You know, I will say that the folks on this forum are very friendly and helpful. It's nice to join a forum and not have to jump through hoops to get, or stay, "activated". I have a 2nd Generation P-3AT that is great, but I will say that the lack of quality worries me. Will the first time that it doesn't go "BANG" be when I really need it? On the other hand, is there, when you consider the price of the R9, any difference? In other words, $250 pistol - 3 problems, $950 pistol - 1 problem.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2005, 09:41:47 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the KT crapping out on you once you establish it is reliable.  Parts can break -- but that can happen to anyone.

I hate to say it, but for higest reliability, a wheelgun may be the way to go.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
Ahhh - I don't like wheel guns much. Slim and trim is the way to go. I'm going to go through all my P-3AT parts and make sure everything is ok soon. For the most part my Springfield Micro Compact .40 will be my pocket gun for the winter. It's away at Fireblade Systems getting a new fitted trigger and trigger job, the front strap stippled, and the frame refinished. I know - it's not really a pocket gun, but it fits my jacket pocket fine (it actually will fit in the back pocket of some of my pants). Really, I'm leaning towards getting an R9-s. I'm being as patient as I can be to see what kinda deal I can find. I'm a small time FFL dealer and see a few guns, but since this would be MY gun, I can't just buy on a whim. I've done that too much already. I appreciate all of the feedback, and the pictures from R9SCarry. I don't think the R9-s would carry much differently than the P-3AT. Thanks again. 8)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2005, 11:32:43 PM »
Whatever charges your barge!  I am much less analytical
and matrix oriented than you and just bought two R-9S
because I liked their style--then I signed on to this forum.
I have made some minor mistakes at times by going with the gut, but my nature is not to do paralysis by analysis.

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2005, 12:17:21 AM »
tracker - what are you going to do with 2 R9-s? One in each front or back pocket?  :o
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 12:56:44 AM by Bubbaman »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2005, 12:24:28 AM »
Case closed, Bubbaman; float your own boat; I was just
expressing my feelings.

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2005, 12:58:53 AM »
Tracker - I understand. I wasn't trying to offend you. I just thought it a little unusual to buy two R9s. But, I'd like to have two of alot of the pistols I own. ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2005, 01:13:04 AM »
I have those two, three Gold Cups, five BHP's, two Sigs,
a Beretta, a Para-Ordnance, a springfield, several old 1911's,
two HK P-7s, and many others. What's the big deal. I do not
own any Kel-Tecs, Kimbers, etc., nor will I.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2005, 01:21:01 AM »
Sorry, I forgot the three Glocks and I like every one of
those, too.

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2005, 01:22:54 AM »
Well, looks like we can agree on 1911s..........

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2005, 01:33:31 AM »
Awwlll right!

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2005, 08:38:55 AM »

I hate to say it, but for higest reliability, a wheelgun may be the way to go.
Even that is debatable.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2005, 12:20:17 AM »
Personally, I got the R9 because it fit my hand -- same reason why my primary is a 1911 -- it's a Kimber, but I've put a couple thousand rounds through it, and not a problem yet, so...  I don't know that I'd really trust a S&W... I had my 625 kinda feel "funny" a few times, like something inside was catching -- no such concerns on my SP101, customized by Gemini (thanks Duane)
    I think reliability is most important, then fit... I worry about costs on "toy" guns, but I decided it was idiotic to consider it when it came to a carry gun -- that, and the R9 has proved to be the only gun I ALWAYS carry ( where permitted by law, of course)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2005, 12:37:48 AM »
Harrydog,
Most things are debatable and/or negotiable. I was just
trying to be agreeable for a change.